Question on nachos

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Question on nachos

Postby xinjinbei on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Am i supposed to cook them?

I bought a bag of nachos 1 year ago when i was in spain.
They tasted like...well.....dry.
xinjinbei
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Aloha..well, da gringo version of nachos (when you're too hung to do it right) is: corn tortilla chips..shredded cheese (yellow or white ..sharp cheddars are not so good)..sprinkle cheese on heap of tortilla chips...nuke for 45-75 sec. (in case one is REALLY hungover:remember to put the chips/cheese on a nice non-metallic or sturdy paper plate before nuking..otherwise clean-up will be a truly unpleasant experience)..if you're a purist-toss 'em in the oven @ ????? degrees 'til the cheese melts nicely..sprinkle the gently steaming mess with diced jalapenos/black olives/carne or pollo asada & dig in...(NOTE: you will go to hell [& not the FSM one, either!] if you geek-out & use potato chips and chopped-up Velveeta..you have been warned..)
KAULANA NA PUA A'O FSM..HANO HANO..FSM NO KA OI..
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 pm

Make sure you use the broil setting. Additionally, if you want layered fun, put a thin layer of chips, add cheese, melt slightly, repeat up to 3 times, with a longer melt on the final layer.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:52 pm

Aloha..& if you make too much..it makes great pseudo-armor for spur-of-the-moment SCA activities..(spray it silver-gray, tho..no one will take a knight in gummy yellow/gold crunchy battle-array very seriously...&, NEVER attempt to save a damsel menaced by a dragon in a nacho-suit...one look @ you & the dragon thinks "Woo! Appetizer before the main, virginal course!"---& he's right..)
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:57 pm

Nah, brah. For SCA you lay cooked ramen on a towel with a hole in the center, let it dry, spray paint it silver and you've got a chainmail tunic. And pasta.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:21 am

Aloha..RR, when you're right, you're right! ever try putting 2 nachos together so you get a 6-pointed throwing-star? even if it causes no damage to the target, they usually end up rotfl & are easy to dispatch with a mace made from dried-out lasagna..(be careful, tho..too much ricotta in the initial lasagna makes the mace droopy..)
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:27 am

Never tried that. Though if you are into LARP fantasy games, you can add green food coloring to your haupia for a Green Slime. 'Course, that's a shameful way to treat haupia.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:40 am

Aloha..haupia!!! *drool*..& our local Hawai'ian grinds place is closed on Sundays..curse you, RR...got a friend going to Maui soon & maybe i can prevail upon him to return with malasadas..i don't believe haupia travels well (it sure do wiggle tho!)..this is OT (really??) but what about banana/macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup? *da kine supa-whole body drool*
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:57 am

Dan(da haole guy) wrote:Aloha..haupia!!! *drool*..& our local Hawai'ian grinds place is closed on Sundays..curse you, RR...got a friend going to Maui soon & maybe i can prevail upon him to return with malasadas..i don't believe haupia travels well (it sure do wiggle tho!)..this is OT (really??) but what about banana/macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup? *da kine supa-whole body drool*

I can walk you through haupia easy. You barely need to know how to cook. The other stuff, not so sure about. (All my knowledge of island cuisine came from working at a restaurant on the mainland, owned by 3rd generation Japanese-Hawaiians.)

Back onto topic though, we've got a place in town that does marvelous nachos. Chips. A MOUND of chips. Cheese. A MOUND of cheese. Melt. Top with any/all of the following:

Beans - black or pinto
Rice
Meat - chicken, shredded chicken, tofu, taco beef, or shredded beef (or none of the above)
Salsa - mild, medium, hot (fresh made - the mild is raw, uncooked, pure...yum)
Guacamole
Sour Cream
Cilantro
Jalepeño (again - raw, not cooked, not pickled, pure and diced)

Doesn't get much better.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:09 am

Aloha..*drool*..(& i'm 'way too lazy to scoot down to the local hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place & oink out..flojo y no lleno/a..ya might toss carnitas into the Meat section, too..)

'ey, RR, mah bruddah, las' time i wen walk t'ru haupia, i wen lef' massive mess onna floor of da hale & mah sweetie wen get all huhu 'n' bonk me onna head wit' da "spatula of correc'shun"..so, mahalo fo' da offer, but i gon' pass on a "haupia walk" dis time, ya?
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby xinjinbei on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:21 am

Doesn't spraying silver paint on pasta make it poisonous?
xinjinbei
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Max_Painful on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:07 am

xinjinbei wrote:Doesn't spraying silver paint on pasta make it poisonous?

You cant die from eating pasta. - No matter what.
"I do believe, I do I do I DO believe in god... Therefore god exists..." - The God Delusion
Max_Painful
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby xinjinbei on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Max_Painful wrote:
xinjinbei wrote:Doesn't spraying silver paint on pasta make it poisonous?

You cant die from eating pasta. - No matter what.

even if i shoot myself while eating it?
xinjinbei
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Technically, that would be dying from a gunshot wound. Although, if you could load pasta into the gun, put the barrel in your mouth....

Why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turned out?

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Sheylara on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:56 pm

Please put it on YouTube, too.

I'm in the mood for some entertainment.
Sheylara
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Next

Return to Food