Who's Your Favorite Director?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby PantyGnawer on Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am

walktheplank wrote:He got the best out of Brad Pitt who was mesmeric as an Irish Gypsy in Snatch, probably his finest acting role.

Totally seconded! I never cared for ol Brad until that movie. He was awesome, and that accent was awesome. I totally want to go hang out with some pikers now.

"Da yea lake dags?"

"Dags?"

"Proper fucked."
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Duke on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 am

Rainswept wrote:Here's a name that's impressed me twice in the last few years. Brad Bird. Writer/Director for The Incredibles and Ratatoille. Both of those movies were hiarious, multilayered, dealt with underlying issues of fairly complex morality, looked awesome, and did all of this very well hidden in the guise of kid's movies. Personally, I think the guy is very talented.

Amen. He doesn't make movies for kids, rather, he makes movies for adults that the kids will like too.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Herzog

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:22 am

Werner Herzog ... 'Aguire Wrath of God' and all that.

No...I'm just being pretentious now...who directed the Hammer Horror films, they were great.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Herzog

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:03 am

black bart wrote:'Aguire Wrath of God' .

Now see Bart, you're missing your calling. you should certainly have put that title over in the ...Anus game category! :D
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Wrath

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:24 pm

What...'Anus wrath of God?'

Bwa ha ha ha...
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Herzog

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:42 am

black bart wrote:Werner Herzog ... 'Aguire Wrath of God' and all that.

Have you seen "Even Dwarfs Started Small"?
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

belter

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:26 pm

No...Sounds like a belter.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Oh I guarantee that you'll love it! Check it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5081789243466229162&q=Even+Dwarfs+Started+Small&total=21&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

PM me if you want details for downloading the whole movie.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby CotTT on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm

Tarentino and Sam Raimi (Evil Dead Trilogy, Spiderman Trilogy, Quick and the Dead, Darkman, a few TV shows, etc)
Church of the Three Truths (FSM - IPU - SubGenius) coming soon to a pagan altar near you
CotTT
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby qoquaq on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:54 am

John Ford,William Wyler
Alias..Black Roger Rackham
navigator to noodly heaven
qoquaq
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rapscallion on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 am

I've always been a big Hitchcock fan. A true master of suspense. I remember watching 'The Birds' on TV when I was a kid. There's no soundtrack and no dialogue, my brother comes in and starts talking and everyone one goes, Shhhh! :mrgreen:
Thar'll be no more rum 'til we reach Portabellorrr!
Rapscallion
Ziti Zealot

Postby Beardyoldblaggard on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 am

Tarantino

I think he really has fun making films and expects/enables his actors to too. This percolates through into the movies the Kill Bills are such a hoot - and all the pseudo art inclusions which are both funny and uncomfortably well executed.

Peoplelike Sam L Jackson seem to work so well for this guy - (Pulp fiction, Jackie Brown)

An american with a wonderful international sense of humour.
Beardyoldblaggard
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Freakingout on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 pm

After Resevior Dogs and Pulp Fiction I really thought he was talented but everything he has done since has been disappointing. I didnt even bother watching Kill Bill 2 because part one was so terrible.
Freakingout
Ziti Zealot

Postby Duke on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:11 am

I like him, but I think he gets a little more credit than he deserves. I'd take Ridley Scott over him most days.

How about least favorite director? I would unquestionably say Mel Gibson. Did you guys see what he did to We Were Soldiers Once, And Young? :cry:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Taidje Khan on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:38 am

Every time people talk about who the best director is, they always forget about Alfred Hitchcock, (except when the people talking are directors themselves.) Hitchcocks movies would be ahead of their time if they came out today. That's saying something. And I'm sorry, you can't mention Kubrick being influential without even mentioning Hitchcock, who greatly influenced the vast majority of directors mentioned so far, including Kubrick.

If I was in the mood to mention another guy, I'd probably go with Scorsese, who also influenced some of the directors previously mentioned. Luckily, I'm in no such mood today.
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors