Eat the world from the comfort of your own home

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Eat the world from the comfort of your own home

Postby Occam on Sun May 20, 2007 12:29 pm

In the snowboarding off season I spend my evenings on the trad mill and exercise bike. Boring!

Despite being a foodie I have noticed that I am tending to eat the same things over and over. Boring!

So here's my plan. I have tacked a map of the world to my wall and I am plotting my virtual progress. Wherever I find myself I will eat the local cuisine. Marginally less boring!

So far I have set off from my home town of Hull (fish pie). I cycled west through Yorkshire (roast pork) and over the Pennines (Shepherd’s pie). Next week I will venture down through the West Midlands. What do those people eat (apart from the unfortunately named faggots)? I'm thinking some braised beef in beer will be on the menu.

Right now I can't wait to get out of England and into France so I'll have to kick it up a notch and peddle my way into more interesting territory.

If this turns out to be at all interesting then I’m going to blog my progress.
Pastafarianism - The Religion Most Likely To Be True TM
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Zankou on Sun May 20, 2007 12:48 pm

You, my friend, are very odd....

Wait till you get to Canada..peameal bacon and Maple Syrup!

Try to stay out of Korea....

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Occam on Sun May 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Zankou wrote:You, my friend, are very odd....

Wait till you get to Canada..peameal bacon and Maple Syrup!

I am odd. If that means I aren't like other people then great. Even if the whole world scorns my mad cycling scheme then at least I can comfort eat food I've never comfort eaten before.

I'm going to avoid canada I think. It'll take me months to cycle and if I eat bacon and syrup for that long I'll die of a heart attack. They'll have to chisel my sugary corpse off the treadmill.
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Zankou on Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Well, in the Maritimes they have fish, then Quebec is....English speaking people...Ontario and Manitoba is maple syrup, Saskatchewan is Wheat, Alberta is MCD beef, and BC is pot.

The Territories have....caribou...and...seal...yeah...

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Occam on Sun May 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Zankou wrote:Well, in the Maritimes they have fish, then Quebec is....English speaking people...Ontario and Manitoba is maple syrup, Saskatchewan is Wheat, Alberta is MCD beef, and BC is pot.

My local seal butcher isn't very good so if I do Canada it will be BC and then down the West Coast of the US, through Mexico and across the top of South America on the way to Africa ... by about 2009.

Many choices to make. Down through Italy to get to Greece or through Croatia and Serbia?
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ken worley on Sun May 20, 2007 1:16 pm

You have opportunity to eat healthy, and recover from fatty canadian/british food, though, as you pedal 'cross the atlantic...cod, flounder, sea bass, etc.

Fish is pretty healthy, no?
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Occam on Sun May 20, 2007 1:26 pm

ken worley wrote:You have opportunity to eat healthy, and recover from fatty canadian/british food, though, as you pedal 'cross the atlantic...cod, flounder, sea bass, etc.

Fish is pretty healthy, no?

Right up to the point where you fry it in beer batter.

I don't know what to do about the sea. Spending months on a virtual pedalo eating fish doesn't really appeal.
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ken worley on Sun May 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Unless you close your eyes, and pretend it is something else.....*devil-horned-grinning-emoticon*
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Cuddly_Carpy on Sun May 20, 2007 5:17 pm

sounds great!

I'd do this if I wasn't a picky eater :D
Cuddly_Carpy
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Zankou on Sun May 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Occam wrote:
Zankou wrote:Well, in the Maritimes they have fish, then Quebec is....English speaking people...Ontario and Manitoba is maple syrup, Saskatchewan is Wheat, Alberta is MCD beef, and BC is pot.

My local seal butcher isn't very good so if I do Canada it will be BC and then down the West Coast of the US, through Mexico and across the top of South America on the way to Africa ... by about 2009.

Many choices to make. Down through Italy to get to Greece or through Croatia and Serbia?

For the pot, right?

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Occam on Sun May 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Zankou wrote:For the pot, right?

Man can't live on bread alone.

Cuddly_Carpy wrote:I'd do this if I wasn't a picky eater

I taught myself to cook because I am a picky eater. I still don't eat everything. When you are cooking for yourself you can experiment without leaving your comfort zone. Not like in a restaurant where if you order something and you don't like it you have ruined your meal. At home you can venture just far enough into the unknown and still enjoy your food.

E.g. Mushrooms. Never liked them. So I set about including them in small amounts into food that would cover their flavour with something yummy yet they'd still be there to have a crack at. The first thing I did with mushrooms was to make them in a tapas style by slicing them finely and frying them down with slices of spicy chorizo sausage and then cooking in tomato sauce. You can't taste mushroom and their texture is concealed by the sausage. From there I had the confidence to try slight more shroomy dishes.

That reminds me, I want to stop off in Spain ... I'll do that on the way back I think. Give me something to look forwards to.
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Cuddly_Carpy on Sun May 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Sounds good :) I'll see what I can do at uni...
Cuddly_Carpy
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby PantyGnawer on Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm

How long do you think it would take me to cycle from NC to BC! Can I borrow someones bike?

Ahh forget it, I'm gonna go eat some cheetos.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Occam on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Haven't got to Canada yet. In fact I've only just made it into France. Glouscesterhsire was nice.

I baked bread to eath with cheese, roasted a pork shoulders stuffed with sage and apple stuffing served with cider gravy. Yom yom yom.

Unfortunately I was so busy eating that I didn't do any cycling and only got as far as Hampshire. In punishment I limited myself to watercress soup and more fresh bread. That motivated me to speed my sorry arse all the way to Normandie (en France).

Normandy is home to Camembert so I'm having some of that. Normandy is also home to strangled ducks, slow cooked tripe and an unpleasant apple brandy called Calvados. Hmmm. So I am going with Chicken Normandy (chicken cooked down with onions, apples, mushrooms and cream/creme fraiche then set alight with calvados.)

If the eating is good in France then there isn't going to be a lot of cycling getting done. I don't know if thats a good thing or not.
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ken worley on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Italy is coming.....

French food is good for awhile....But too rich and sauce-ful for extended enjoyment, IMO...

But Italy....read my thread below on giant ravioli....

lasagne....cappacola and salami subs, w provolone cheese....Italian roast beef with portabella mushrooms.....

*begins to drool.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Next

Return to Food