What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Duke on Sat May 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Parallax View. Overall, it was okay. The acting was good, the plot was good, but the directing could have used a little work (although there were some great parts).

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Cuddly_Carpy on Sun May 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Meet the Robinsons, very predictable but some good lines :)
Cuddly_Carpy
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Duke on Sun May 06, 2007 6:54 pm

I watched Children of Men last night. It's excellent. The directing was beautiful, the acting was great. I recommend it most highly.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby dukes on Tue May 08, 2007 4:47 pm

We just watched Copying Beethoven. It's set in Vienna in 1824, and involves a young woman engaged as the Maestro's copyist (the copyist will take the scratched up original and transcribe it into a clean sheet that musicians can actually play from). It tells the story of the first performance of the Ninth Symphony, and the days that led up to it.

I don't know how historically accurate the story is, but the portrayal of Beethoven (played by Ed Harris) himself jives with everything I've read about him.

I sometimes play the Ninth. The problem with listening to that particular piece is that it is impossible to listen to something else afterwards - anything else is an anticlimax.
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------
Ballad of John and Yoko
dukes
Lord of Linguini

Postby Duke on Tue May 08, 2007 5:02 pm

dukes wrote:
I sometimes play the Ninth. The problem with listening to that particular piece is that it is impossible to listen to something else afterwards - anything else is an anticlimax.

That's why I always listen to it last thing at night. I work it out to my schedule, sometimes.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby NeuroFreak on Tue May 08, 2007 6:00 pm

I watched Spitfire last night...

I thought a B&W movie would help me sleep, but Katherine Hepburn kept me awake (thought not sure I'd watch the movie again).
"...the heavens are filled with rarefied, luminous spaghetti..." - Vonnegut
NeuroFreak
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby EarthRise on Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm

Equilibrium

Matrix-y, mixed with a touch of 1984, to create a lovely dystopian Big Brother society with lots of explody gun action.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Tue May 15, 2007 2:48 am

I watched two movies yesterday, American Beauty and The Usual Suspects.

American Beauty is the best Best Picture winner in a decade. It is magnificently directed, gorgeously acted; it's also hilarious, smart, and very, very sharp.

The Usual Suspects was one of the better crime movies, and by better, I'd say maybe top five, top three. The writing was great, I mean great. This movie, like American Beauty, had Kevin Spacey in it (who I am now the biggest fan of), and he won an academy award for this one too. Boy, he deserved it.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby farfalla on Tue May 15, 2007 3:16 am

Saw Hot Fuzz. Really funny, great acting, tongue in check take off on all those walls of human flesh police movies. Brought to you by the people who made Shaun of the Dead.
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Duke on Tue May 15, 2007 5:23 am

I loved Shaun of the Dead, and I've been wanting to see Hot Fuzz, but I don't really have access to a movie theater out here, so I'll have to wait until I get home to see it. I've seen the trailers and I've heard that it was good, and I can't wait to see it. :)

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Tue May 15, 2007 6:13 am

The creepiest movie ever:

Jesus Camp

Intelligence: What stupid people think they have lots of.
Stupidity: What intelligent people wish they had less of.

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.
- Pol Pot

Check out St JtB's MySpace page here!!
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby SeaTizzy on Sat May 19, 2007 3:19 pm

The last movie I saw was this french film called l'enfant (the child), it was a very good. It's a very original film, although I guess one could say the plot is alittle silly.. Bascily this guy named Bruno who is a thief sells his nine day old baby because he needs/wants money (of course their is more to it then that), his character was quite the selfish despicable person until close to the end of the movie. The acting in the film was very good, as was the direction and cinematography.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" --- Dr. Strangelove
SeaTizzy
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Kra on Mon May 28, 2007 9:45 am

Last night I watched "The Fountain" by Darren Aronofsky (he also directed Pi and Requiem For A Dream).
It was probably the best film I've seen in a long time, and i watch quite a lot of movies :)
The whole film had a great atmoshpere, I thought it was an amazing..Highly recommended :mrgreen:
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby S'presso on Mon May 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Pirates of the Carribean 3

not bad, still good.
really long though..
and not *quite* as funny.
no eunnich jokes this time :cry:

... a little confusing
and very long

apparently there's some kind of footage at the end of the credits
(which i didnt see due to a pressing need to go to the bathroom)
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Amerigo on Wed May 30, 2007 12:45 pm

...I won't post a poiler I guess, but let's just say the scene was not remotely worth the wait (and didn't involve Jack or Barbosa).
Amerigo

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors