What is the ideal Pastafarian Pirate?

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

What is the ideal Pastafarian Pirate?

Postby The Buttery Lobster on Tue May 01, 2007 11:18 am

This holds especially true in modern times, with Pirate attacks on the rise this year.

Just wiki'ing modern pirates shows that the practice of piracy is blending with both hijacking for political means and flat out terrorism. I'm pretty sure NEITHER of these is true to the Pastafarian ideal, as politically motivated piracy can be defined even in CLASSICAL golden age pirate times as Privateering, and terrorism- hijacking with no intent to garner any personal gain (be it wealth or fame) is just the antithesis of what is a pirate.

We can probably rule out any hostage taking whatsoever. Did old school pirates have the option of a home land base to stow people in?

That's just off the top of my head, I'm still perusing the site and forum. Prolly will buy the book if it's in a local bookstore.
As of 5/2, new to Pastafarianism, I may be a convert.
The Buttery Lobster
Conchigliette Convert

Postby blackeyedbutch on Tue May 01, 2007 11:35 am

ol' poirates did nuttin wrong juss gave out candy to ye children and got really drunk

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby The Buttery Lobster on Tue May 01, 2007 8:08 pm

this wasn't covered in the FAQ. Is there a forum thread where this has been discussed before?

Joke all you want, but less then tolerant people who desire to oppress pastafarianism can and will attempt to defile the idea of a pirate. In modern day times, "pirate" is beginning to mean any number of things that vary from the romantic golden age pirate ideal. Terrorist and Political Kidnapper come to mind.

I think it would benefit the religion as a whole if you took a minute to establish what pirates are NOT-- i.e. they are not aquatic terrorists who kidnap oil freighters and explode them in some harbor. They are NOT kidnappers who seek to use hostages for political gain.

Also, minor note, what about copyright piracy? There's an actual pirate party... (just wiki it) how is this group and the idea of intelectual piracy related to pastafarianism?

For example, were the Iranians that captured the british sailors this past month pirates? They were causing havok on the high seas. By modern pirate standards, they might be some form of pirate. The Tamil Tigers have their own navy, to a point. What about them? How about if the pirate is involved in some sort of organized crime? Is this a religion that supports that kind of activity?

A Cutlass, blunderbuss, and traditional pirate regalia back in the day were just as menacing as an RPG and an AK-47 are today. Does it matter what weapons they have? What about their methods of operation? And what about what kind of booty they intend to capture-- the whole ship, the ship safe, or it's cargo?

And what about Rum? Is rum particularly holy, or merely the most popular of drinks in the religion? We all know that pirates have been around since the dawn of sea-faring man, but Rum CLEARLY has not.

If Bobby is ever going to accomplish his goal of getting Pastafarianism the same level of respect as other religions, you're gonna have to be prepared to answer some tough questions.
The Buttery Lobster
Conchigliette Convert

Postby EarthRise on Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

I think you're taking this satire religion a slight bit too seriously...

The pirate party has no relation to us, save in name only. We believe the Catholic Church corrupted the idea of pirates from candy-giving do-gooders into unwashed thieves, etc. etc., the Gospel has everything you need.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby The Buttery Lobster on Tue May 01, 2007 11:32 pm

ohhhh, ok, see THAT'S what I wasn't getting. There should really be something about that in the FAQ. No one told me there was an anti-pirate media filter that corrupted the image of the Pirate from what FSM is to what the popular idea of the pirate is. Someone should clarify the candy element from the more common idea of looting (and pillaging).

Unless it's already in the Gospel, in which case that should still have some mention somewhere in the forum.

But as far as "taking this too seriously," at least some of these questions are being discussed in the forums RIGHT NOW (internet piracy, privateer/corsair vs. regular pirate), so I can't see how this isn't relevant. I just assumed the issues had come up in the past, and were already dealt with, and I couldn't find the answers. I didn't know they were still in flux.
The Buttery Lobster
Conchigliette Convert

Re: What is the ideal Pastafarian Pirate?

Postby E.Raser two on Wed May 02, 2007 2:32 pm

The Buttery Lobster wrote: in CLASSICAL golden age pirate times as Privateering, and terrorism- hijacking with no intent to garner any personal gain (be it wealth or fame) is just the antithesis of what is a pirate.

OK, one definition a the ideal pirate.
A pirate is everybody who understand how the world works, and is seeking his wealth,his fame, and above all his amusement, in other words his treasure, without any prejudice neither for men neither for institutions .
Because we are an elite, and our number decreased in the past centuries, the weather is becoming very hot and when the poles will be melted we will have new ice era :mrgreen:
See the movie "The day after tomorrow"
E.Raser two
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:18 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Re: What is the ideal Pastafarian Pirate?

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

E.Raser two wrote:OK, one definition a the ideal pirate.
A pirate is everybody who understand how the world works, and is seeking his wealth,his fame, and above all his amusement, in other words his treasure, without any prejudice neither for men neither for institutions .
Because we are an elite, and our number decreased in the past centuries, the weather is becoming very hot and when the poles will be melted we will have new ice era :mrgreen:
See the movie "The day after tomorrow"

I like this def ^_^
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Return to Pirate Discussion