What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Finrod on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:20 am

300, wow! Visualy incredible, dialogue was somewhat wooden but the look and feel of the movie was amazing. My daughter even enjoyed it, my son walked out wanting to see it again.
"The avalanche has begun, the pebbles do not get a vote." Ambassador Kosh of the Vorlon Empire

"The universe is made up of three elements, matter, energy, and enlightened self interest."
Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby dukes on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:40 pm

We rented a copy of Borat. Neither of us found it to be 'pee in your pants funny' as was claimed. Most of it was rather sophomoric, but there were a few spots that were funny. On a scale of 1-4, I'd give it about a 1.5.
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------
Ballad of John and Yoko
dukes
Lord of Linguini

Postby ChowMein on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Midnight Express was on thursday night.I hadn't seen it in 20 years,but i'm sure they cut it up a lot.
I wonder what Hayes is doing now and if the movie depictions are accurate and unabridged.
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Duke on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:48 pm

I watched Glory, the Civil War movie last night. The acting was superb, as was the writing, and all in all, it was a good film. I wish they had hired a better director, however, I felt that what could have been a truly epic film was crippled slightly by the director.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Trilom on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:53 pm

hmm Paradise Lost 2 :Revolations
about the WM3 :)
Trilom
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Nullifidian on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 am

Since I watched two in one night, I might as well review both.

As always...

*Possible Spoilers*

First is L.A. Story. I had seen Roxanne and liked it, and I've also seen his play Picasso at the Lapin Agile and liked it, so I took a chance on this movie, and I was blown away. It's a really wonderful romantic comedy wrapped up in an American version of Magical Realism (the primarily Spanish-language literary movement that gave us works like Jorge Amado's Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands). Martin plays a weatherman who is at the end of his relationship with his current steady girlfriend, and gets romantic advice from a freeway traffic sign which guides him through a brief fling with a young and very hyperactive young woman and finally to a long and sustaining love with a British reporter. In the meantime, it's chock full of hilarious, but loving, digs at the superficiality and mercenary nature of L.A. culture.

Then I watched a film which has as little do to with the previous one as it's possible to get: In the Company of Men. There are very few movies I would rank as being "perfect", but this is one of them. It follows the plan of Chad and Howard, two young and misogynistic men to date and dump the most vulnerable woman they can find. I'm not going to include any spoilers with this one, simply because anyone who wants to should not only watch it, but be allowed the pleasure of watching the plot unfold. However, LaBute takes his theme and runs with it to its logical conclusion, never once letting anything slip in the way of characterization or plot. Aaron Eckhart gives one of the best performances I've ever seen on film of a sociopath who doesn't have to kill anyone or even do anything illegal to be monumentally hateful and scary.
Nullifidian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Duke on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:58 pm

I watched Cannery Row, based on Stienbeck's book, with Nick Nolte and Deborah Winger. It was slow, but I thought it was great. Nolte did an excellent job, and of course, it was very well written.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Meatball on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:12 pm

300, hills have eyes 2, blades of glory

i recommend all of them
Meatball
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Zankou on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Eragon...

Do not watch this movie...

It made a total mockery of the book.

read the book, destroy the movie
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby blackeyedbutch on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:57 pm

300 . . . I fuxing loved it

THIS IS SPARTA

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Duke on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:31 am

Lemme see... I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off last week. Wonderful movie. Wonderful, wonderful, and altogether wonderful. I can't stress this enough. It's mildly camp, which, in my opinion, only adds to the humor (although it puts off some people).

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby xinjinbei on Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Awesome Movie
Too Much Cursing
Too Damn Funny
xinjinbei
Tortellini Third Mate

last film I saw

Postby nauticalnick on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:00 am

The last film I saw at the cinema was Pan's Labyrinth and its a classic!!!
I highly recommend it.
basically it involves Spanish resistance fighters battling fascists in Spain and stealing their pasta supplies to live out in the hills - a must for all pastafarians.

Cheers

Nick :fsm:
nauticalnick
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Duke on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:47 pm

I agree, Pan's Labyrinth was a beautiful, as well as brilliant, movie. I recommend it highly.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby EarthRise on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 am

My Neighbor Totoro.

Frikkin' genius, on the part of Miyazaki.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors