Religion on radio: the BBC's Today programme

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Religion on radio: the BBC's Today programme

Postby rickycosmos on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:11 pm

I thought you all might like to see this email I sent to the BBC:

I wish to complain about the Thought for the Day from Anne Atkins on
Thursday 12 April. I understand that the policy of the BBC is that this slot
on the today programme is meant to provide an eponymous thought from a
faith, rather than rational or other perspective. Ms Atkins indulged in what I
can only describe as a tirade against single parents, gay people, and,
amazingly, half of humanity (men). The point of my complaint is that this
Thought for the Day was not about religion, nor from a faith perspective
(though it certainly wasn't rational either).

It was a clear breach of the BBC's promise that TFTD would be "reflections
from a faith perspective".

I am also concerned that the TFTD slot has never been given to one of the
fastest growing religions in the world, to which I happen to adhere myself:
http://www.venganza.org/ .

It seems high time that Thought for the Day came from a pastafarian
perspective. I would be quite happy to do this, being a pastafarian (and, as
it happens, a solicitor, so used to public speaking). 19 September would
be an appropriate date, given the customs of us pastafarians, as that is
also International Talk Like A Pirate day.

I look forward to hearing from you and may His Noodley Appendage be
upon you.
--

Rick Johnson
Lancaster UK
May His Noodley Appendage be upon you
Rick Johnson
Lancaster UK
rickycosmos
Conchigliette Convert

Postby blackeyedbutch on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:14 am

Can I get a RAmen from the congrigation?

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Occam on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:42 am

RAmen!

I was only saying this morning that TFTD should have a pastafari speaker.
Pastafarianism - The Religion Most Likely To Be True TM
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Zankou on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:11 am

blackeyedbutch wrote:Can I get a RAmen from the congrigation?

No, but I am pretty sure the "congregation" will give you a bowl of RAmen.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby blackeyedbutch on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 am

zankou shut up you nazi

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby SauceBeUponYe on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:36 am

i completely agree with you rickycosmos
i turn the radio off when it comes to TFTD, it is usually a load of religious rubbish put about by lying fools who seem to have forgotten all the bad bad things people claiming to belong to their religion have done. (i.e. crusades, massive Hindu/Muslim wars, inquisition etc.).

when the bbc write back to you, and they better do, can you post their response here?

May Your Meatballs Be Forever Round

:worship: :fsm_float:
The Great Papal Patriarch and Dalai Lama and Pirate of His Holy Appendage
SauceBeUponYe
Ziti Zealot

Postby rickycosmos on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:06 pm

when the bbc write back to you, and they better do, can you post their response here?

Will do, though not even an acknowledgment yet!
May His Noodley Appendage be upon you
Rick Johnson
Lancaster UK
rickycosmos
Conchigliette Convert

Postby MPTrooper on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:23 pm

SauceBeUponYe wrote:i completely agree with you rickycosmos
i turn the radio off when it comes to TFTD, it is usually a load of religious rubbish put about by lying fools who seem to have forgotten all the bad bad things people claiming to belong to their religion have done. (i.e. crusades, massive Hindu/Muslim wars, inquisition etc.).

May Your Meatballs Be Forever Round

:worship: :fsm_float:

So the sins of the past makes religion today rubbish? I'm Catholic, I think the RCC has done much to improve the lives of countless millions. Yet none of that Matters because of the things we may or may not have done hundreds of years ago?
MPTrooper

Postby Jean Bart on Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:42 pm

MPTrooper wrote: I'm Catholic, I think the RCC has done much to improve the lives of countless millions.

Facts, facts, give us a couple of millons of facts... then we can see if it balances...:mrgreen:

MPTrooper wrote:Yet none of that Matters because of the things we may or may not have done hundreds of years ago?

Huh, that sounds like politicians blaming the former government for actual problems... See former reply on balancing... :mrgreen:
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby SauceBeUponYe on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:44 pm

MPTrooper wrote:
Yet none of that Matters because of the things we may or may not have done hundreds of years ago?

Not just hundreds of years ago, Christians are committing atrocities as we speak.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but according to http://www.iraqbodycount.org, since the beginning of the Iraq war as many as 68428 (as of 25th April 2007) civilians have been reported killed by military intervention in Iraq. Now it may seem odd to hear that the majority of the coalition forces are from Christian based nations. The majority of US troops for example are, like many Americans, patriotic American Christians, likewise, but to a lesser extent I think, the British army has many Christian soldiers.
Now to me it seems odd that these people claim to be Christians when the teachings they follow, those of Jesus Christ; you may of heard of him, are based on love and forgiving. Additionally Christians claim to live by laws even older than Christ, the very rules that were sent to Moses by God, the Ten Commandments; again you may have heard of them. These are very explicit on the subject of killing, as I’m sure you know. But just in case you don’t:

Thou shalt not kill – Exodus 20:13

It appear to me that it is strange that such Christian nations, with Christian soldiers have managed to kill 68428 people, that is an awful lot of death for people who claim to follow the message of Christ.

Atrocities have been committed by Christians, are being committed by Christians and will be committed by Christians.
The Great Papal Patriarch and Dalai Lama and Pirate of His Holy Appendage
SauceBeUponYe
Ziti Zealot

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:31 pm

[quote="SauceBeUponYe

[/quote]

I thought this was common knowledge but here it goes anyway: Moses' handwritting was horrible and worse when carving in stone. what the tablets were ment to say was

Thou shaln't not kill

Which is a double negative meaning it should have been

KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KILL UM' ALL!!!!!! – Exodus 20:13

seriously how didn't you see that

[sarcasum]

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 pm

SauceBeUponYe wrote:MPTrooper wrote:
Yet none of that Matters because of the things we may or may not have done hundreds of years ago?

Not just hundreds of years ago, Christians are committing atrocities as we speak.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but according to http://www.iraqbodycount.org, since the beginning of the Iraq war as many as 68428 (as of 25th April 2007) civilians have been reported killed by military intervention in Iraq. Now it may seem odd to hear that the majority of the coalition forces are from Christian based nations. The majority of US troops for example are, like many Americans, patriotic American Christians, likewise, but to a lesser extent I think, the British army has many Christian soldiers.
Now to me it seems odd that these people claim to be Christians when the teachings they follow, those of Jesus Christ; you may of heard of him, are based on love and forgiving. Additionally Christians claim to live by laws even older than Christ, the very rules that were sent to Moses by God, the Ten Commandments; again you may have heard of them. These are very explicit on the subject of killing, as I’m sure you know. But just in case you don’t:

It appear to me that it is strange that such Christian nations, with Christian soldiers have managed to kill 68428 people, that is an awful lot of death for people who claim to follow the message of Christ.

Atrocities have been committed by Christians, are being committed by Christians and will be committed by Christians.

If you're going to accuse us of killing civilians how about you try finding how many were killed by U.S. Soldiers and how many were killed by other civilians.

Thanks!
MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:49 pm

While I'm at it, could you also please find proof that we Catholic soldiers are purposely seeking civilians to murder? Thanks again!
MPTrooper

Postby EarthRise on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 am

Watch yourself, Sauce; MPT has this argument perfectly worked out. You'll not make any progress.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Occam on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:01 pm

There's religion everywhere in the Iraq debacle. Religious patriots believe they are fighting the godless occupier. Fanatics seek martyrdom in battle with the great Satan or by slaughtering apostates in suicidal conflagrations. The multitude of sectarian conflicts are well documented.

The invaders also have dragged god in to their messed up war. Bush called it a crusade almost from the beginning although it could be argued that he didn't know what he was saying. But it wasn't just Bush. Who can forget the words of Marine Colonel Brandl, "The enemy has got a face. He's called Satan. He lives in Falluja. And we're going to destroy him." His troops then barbecued the civilian occupants of the city with white phosphorus. News reports never did confirm whether Satan had been amongst those killed but many of the bodies were so badly burned as to be unrecognisable.

It is true that most of the casualties in Iraq have been the result of civilian on civilian violence. It is not known how many have died in total, never mind how many were killed by the invading and occupying forces. What can be stated with certainty is that a Catholic (Blair) and a Methodist (Bush) ordered the bombing of targets that would result in collateral damage. These acts were in breach of the UN Charter, the Geneva Convention and the 6th Commandment. Whether you believe these crimes were justifiable in order to stave off an immediate threat to our countries is irrelevent. The motivation for the invasion and destruction of Iraq should only be taken into consideration during sentencing.

Personally I do not think that either Blair or Bush were motivated by their religion to commit their attrocities. However, I am not certain that the wars would have had the popular backing of the American and British people if Iraqis were Christians.
Pastafarianism - The Religion Most Likely To Be True TM
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Next

Return to The Cause