Who's Your Favorite Director?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Who's Your Favorite Director?

Postby Duke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:44 am

Who, may I ask, is your favorite director? I would say that my favorite is Stanley Kubrick, director/writer of Dr. Stranglove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket, Barry Lyndon,
A Clockwork Orange, Spartacus, and others. He's probably the most copied and most influential director in movie history, not to mention the most brilliant.

What do you think?

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:28 pm

Kubrick definitely came to mind. Also, the Cohen Brothers for the Big Lebowski and Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

But I'd have to give the title to Wes Anderson for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. That movie rocks!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Duke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:35 pm

Really? Best Director of all time? I'll have to watch that movie. :D

Spielberg is fantastic too, even by Schindler's List alone. Another guy who doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves, but is brilliant, is Terry Gilliam. Fear and Loathing, anyone? Brazil?

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Duke wrote:Really? Best Director of all time? I'll have to watch that movie. :D

Not for any volume of work, but based on the brilliance of the one piece. And yes, you do need to see The Life Aquatic.

Duke wrote:Terry Gilliam. Fear and Loathing, anyone? Brazil?Duke

I'll give ya fear and loathing, but Brazil was pretty wack. Only saw it once, but I didn't really get it.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Duke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:05 pm

PirateGuy wrote:
Not for any volume of work, but based on the brilliance of the one piece. And yes, you do need to see The Life Aquatic.

I'll try and get my hands on it over the weekend.

PirateGuy wrote:I'll give ya fear and loathing, but Brazil was pretty wack. Only saw it once, but I didn't really get it.

Wait, so Brazil was "wack", and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas wasn't...? Er... Lemme think about that one... :wink:

You might want to see Brazil again. It's about government and bureaucracy, which catches a lot of views off guard.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby SeaTizzy on Sat May 19, 2007 3:13 pm

My favorite director is by far Stanley Kubrick, he is just so versatile and I haven't disliked a single one of his films that I've seen (I've yet to see The Killing, Killer's Kiss, and Fear and Desire).. I also love Bergmen, Lynch, Lumet, Scorsese, & Spielberg.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" --- Dr. Strangelove
SeaTizzy
Conchigliette Convert

Postby EarthRise on Sat May 19, 2007 3:20 pm

I love me some Quentin Tarantino, I do say.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Sat May 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Tarantino's a good one. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are my favorites, you?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Kra on Mon May 28, 2007 9:38 am

I couldn't pick one favourite but I liiiiike...

David Lynch, Darren Aronofsky, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick, Tim Burton, Takashi Miike, Takeshi Kitano, Hayao Miyazaki (for animation), Quentin Tarantino, Oliver Stone, Cameron Crowe, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher..
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PantyGnawer on Mon May 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Kra wrote:I couldn't pick one favourite but I liiiiike...

David Lynch, Darren Aronofsky, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick, Tim Burton, Takashi Miike, Takeshi Kitano, Hayao Miyazaki (for animation), Quentin Tarantino, Oliver Stone, Cameron Crowe, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher..

Way to narrow it down there.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Kra on Tue May 29, 2007 7:29 am

I left out at least 10 others ! lol :mrgreen:
I love movies...can't get enough of them...
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:43 am

Kra wrote:I couldn't pick one favourite but I liiiiike...

Seconded, especially Gilliam, Kubrick, Burton, Tarantino, and Stone.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Moral Minority on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Only Tim Burtonesque macabre and humor do it for me.

Also
EarthRise wrote:I love me some Quentin Tarantino, I do say.

Seconded.
Moral Minority

Postby walktheplank on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Guy Ritchie does it for me, if you like your gangster films to be nasty, violent and still very funny in places. He got the best out of Brad Pitt who was mesmeric as an Irish Gypsy in Snatch, probably his finest acting role.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
walktheplank
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Here's a name that's impressed me twice in the last few years. Brad Bird. Writer/Director for The Incredibles and Ratatoille. Both of those movies were hiarious, multilayered, dealt with underlying issues of fairly complex morality, looked awesome, and did all of this very well hidden in the guise of kid's movies. Personally, I think the guy is very talented.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors