Harry Potter

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby anon1mat0 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:39 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:What are the DRACO/HARRY SHIPPERS?

Ron/Hermione Shippers = Fans that want to see Ron and Hermione together (do I need to say more? :wink: )

Movies in Fifteen Minutes Book wrote:Harry Potter and the [s]Philosopher's Sorcerer's[/s] Philosopher's Stone (2001)

McGONAGALL: But he's so helpless! And adorable! With his little lightning-shaped scar...! [Batting lashes] You know, we could always take the baby and set up that love nest we've always talked about...
DUMBLEDORE: Hagrid? Put the baby on the doorstep!

© 2005 Cleolinda Jones. All rights reserved. cleolinda.livejournal.com

She wrote a book with parodies, you can get it from Amazon UK. For some reason she hasn't been able to print it in the US :?
Nicolás

From Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:56 pm

figured thats what it was.

her stuff is good.. pity I can't get the book then.

could a brit mail it to me :D
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby anon1mat0 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:34 pm

I bought mine in the UK site and paid for the shipping :?. Still it is around ~$20 which is the price you get on the US site from select sellers.

She wrote a parody of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the book. :)

You can still read the parodies she has onlinethough, including one of V for Vendetta.
Nicolás

From Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Finrod on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Bored of the Rings has to be the all time best parody of Lord of the Rings. Have an original copy and still laugh my butt off reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451452615/102-8255016-2248100?v=glance&n=283155
Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Ahoy Potter-Mateys!

Postby Tiffy-o on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 am

Long time since last post!
C'mon let's update this lonely ol' thread.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows~7/21/07.
Kay, now that that's over with.
My stance on Snape-not to be trusted. He friggin' killed Dumbledore! You don't just kill Dumbledore and come off a clean man.
Tiny little tidbit of proof, but I likes it-
"Naturally I do, but as I have already proven to you, I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being--forgive me--rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger." Dumbledore, p197 HBP

I believe he made a mistake in trusting in Snape, plain and simple.
Trust Snape? Screw that.
My wager is on the evil bastard's treachery.
As for who dies? I really don't want it to be Harry. Seeing as I have no influence over JKR's mad writing skills that doesn't matter, and he will most likely be killed off...one of 'em has to (Voldy or Harry). The other? Professor Flitwick. Just to be random. I have no proof, no theories. But I would laugh.
:mrgreen:
Lady of the Words of Power
Tiffy-o
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 am

I know the answer to the snape dilemma.

MPD/DID. or like, two people living the same life. only, rather differently. works better if he's MPD. 'cos then he's like, legally insane.

not that we didn't know that already

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tiffy-o on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:42 am

@Qwerty
MPD? Reasonable, I could see that.
He's still a sadistic bastard.
:cry: I do miss Dumbledore. I will shamelessly admit I cried at his funeral.
Lady of the Words of Power
Tiffy-o
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Lethe Gray on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:13 am

I didn't, actually I had wondered why she hadn't killed him off earlier. I have simply never trusted the old geezer. He's manipulated Harry into doing all his dirty work - until Snape became more available to do even worse.

I DO think Snape's a good guy - if anything evidenced by his taking on the burden of actually murdering Dumbledore instead of allowing Draco to do it. That shows a level of compassion that we just don't see him giving people in general. I read that she's surprised by how many people just adore Snape, as she has in fact written him to be a greasy, awful man - but he's got such a wonderfully reachable, tangible history and background that I think a lot of us just feel for him.

And Alan Rickman helps. :)

But Dumbledore being dead didn't bother me at all. In fact when Sirius died I didn't really cry... Until Harry took out the mirror he could have used to prevent the whole thing. THEN I was bawling into the book. :/

Here's a question:

If there were a Harry Potterverse Massive Multiplayer Online RPG - would you buy it and play it? If you could play anyone from an 11 year old 1st year at one of the schools, to a professor type, auror, or whatever? Or earn it from being that kid at the start and 'level' by gaining years in the school setting, having adventures and such? I want to pitch the game licence idea to an mmo producer which I know is actually looking for such things - but the licence cost may be prohibitive and I have no idea if the Warner people are willing to go out and let another of their products possibly bomb big time the way the Matrix Online game has. Though truth be told, there is a FAR bigger inherent audience with Harry, and ones which would eagerly jump at the product if it were available.

Anyone? (I should say, anyone else?)
Am I to burn in noodly hell because I am allergic to Wheat? Am I condemned to a life and afterlife without beer? Is there no cheese without the holy liquid from cows that I can substitute? *cries*
Lethe Gray
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Elektra on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:51 am

Sorry to interrupt like this, but I just found this thread and...well, I confess - I'm a Harry Potter addict, too. :fsm_ninja:

anon1mat0 wrote:
At this point I am convinced that Snape was secretly in love with Lily and was horrorized at her death by Voldemort. Add the fact that Voldemort didn't want to kill her, and that everybody tells Harry that he has his mother's eyes.

Honeslty, do you really think Voldemort gives a damn about what his followers feel for other people? The only one he truly cares about is himself and really...it's a bit silly thinking that Snape, if this ever was the case, confessed his 'undying' love for Miss Evans to none other than Voldemort. :fsm_ninja:

arkady wrote:One of my own theories is that Percy Weasley will be a death eater (likes power too much)....

I really think people are being too hard on Percy. I mean, considering the way he was treated, I'm surprised he didn't speak up his mind earlier.

Tiffy-o wrote:My stance on Snape-not to be trusted. He friggin' killed Dumbledore! You don't just kill Dumbledore and come off a clean man.

But what if Dumbledore actually asked Snape to kill him? What if that 'please, Severus' was actually Dumbledore urging him to get on with his task?

Doesn't it seem even a tad odd that a man for whom 'death is nothing but the next great adventure' suddenly gets cold feet and starts begging for his life? I think better of Dumbledore to accept that. I think Dumbledore was begging Snape to kill him and spare Draco of doing it. Snape has been a Death Eater, he certainly killed someone before, whereas Draco hasn't.

And in all honesty, who would've Dumbledore trust more in order to kill him? :wink:

And if this doesn't convice you, think of Fawkes. He clearly is present in the sixth book and I can't help but find his behaviour peculiar. One year before, he had absolutely no problem apparating himself from Scotland to London and eat an Avada Kedavra for Dumbledore's sake and now he can't seem to move his feathered behind to one of the towers of Hogwarts to come in Dumbledore's aid? Hmm.

And about the actual curse hitting Dumbledore. I must add that in this instance, the Killing Curse does manifest itself strangely. When you are hit, you simply die, not get thrown off a tower. And it did hit him squarely in the chest.

But, inanimate objects take damage from spells. What if Dumbledore was already an "inanimate object" before the spell hit him? What if he actually died of the potion ? :fsm_ninja:
ImageImage
Bunnies!
Elektra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Calena on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:29 am

So, has anyone read the last book?
I did and I liked it, although the deaths weren`t as dramatic as I expected. I really could have done without the "19 years later"- epilogue.

Uh- by the way - there is no spoiler tag in this forum...
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:16 am

There should be.

I've read it. I 100% agree about the epilogue. It came accross as a way for her to keep herself from writing more sequals.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 am

In principle it`s totally ok for me that Harry Potter ends with this book. It would even have been fine by me if Harry had died a heroic death. (But I realize that Rowlings couldn`t let that happen due to real world demands). But the epilogue could have been way cooler, those kids with not only the names but also the character traits of their ancestors, practically clones, really got on my nerves.

(I can`t shake the feeling there are numerous grammar errors in this post. Please feel free to correct me)
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors