how to tell your parents

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby jjk on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 am

Sometimes you just have to beat religion into the young. God will reward you later on.
jjk
Conchigliette Convert

Postby jjk on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:48 am

What do pirates like to learn in school?

The 3 Arrrrr's
jjk
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zankou on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 pm

Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus anymore...the gift part is what it is all about.

Besides, many Atheists celebrate Christmas with their Christian families...the season's message itself is a good one.

While I don't personally believe that the stuff in the Bible all actually happend, I can still respect it as a story written with the intention of teaching values.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby EarthRise on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Zankou wrote:Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus anymore...the gift part is what it is all about.

Besides, many Atheists celebrate Christmas with their Christian families...the season's message itself is a good one.

I celebrate Christmas as an atheist among agnostic Unitarian Universalists (being my parents).
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:13 pm

yeah tahts insanity and it almost looks like the kid is wearing an eyepatch or atleast dark sunglasses i only noticed it on one eye

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby neoreo30 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:48 pm

ok now i dont wanna tell m parents
thanx
i have a preist staying at my house also for a week
this suks
to err is human
to ARR is pirate
neoreo30
Ziti Zealot

Postby KC Observer on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Wowser - The mom was highly pissed off. She sure embodied the tenents of the Christian faith, didn't she? Talk about approaching it all wrong. And the dad, I think, was busying himself with his beer, which could indicate that he's a closet Pastafarian. Probably, he was wishing his wife was a stripper.

There's no dealing with people who are religiously intolerant. Better to keep this kind of thing to oneself to keep family peace, unless your asked outright.
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby mizuno_tsuki on Tue May 01, 2007 5:36 pm

I agree with KC. I had a "talk" with my mother about religious beliefs (Roman Catholic, FSM save me T__T) where she thought that I was atheist (which I am) and that we were both condemned to Hell because (a)I didn't believe in "God" and (b)she couldn't teach me well enough to believe in "Him". I told her that I was just agnostic, though, so she felt happier after that (thinking that I was just unsure about whether or not God actually exists or not rather than not believing in God at all). So I'm sort of keeping this whole Pastafanarianism to myself. My sister think I'm crazy for liking this at all, but, hey, what can I say? My family's crazy like that.

So, yes, I do believe it is best (for a while at least) to keep it to yourself, until you feel that you are comfortable or safe enough to tell your parents. *shrugs* Best of luck, dude.
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
:)
"If you were gay,
That'd be okay,
I mean 'cause, hey,
I'd like you anyway,
Because you see,
If it were me,
I would feel free
To say that I was gay
(But I'm not Gay)!!"

-Avenue Q
mizuno_tsuki
Ziti Zealot

Location: Running away from rabid fangirls who want to dress me in a frilly, pink dress with bows and ribbons!

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Re: how to tell your parents

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:51 am

Yeah.. I keep telling everyone to get me pirate clothes or the GotFSM for Holiday, and I got 'the talk'. My parents aren't terribly religious, but they were concerned that I really might believe in the joke :facepalm: I don't think they get the point at all.. It's a community of like-minded people, similar to an online UU church. In the slim chance that there is another pastafarian somewhere in Utah, I'd like them to be able to recognize me by my pirate regalia.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

I used fridge magnets spelling out "There is no god" on the fridge to tell my parents. Dad was a little angry and said that it wasn't nice. When I asked him why, he just replied that it just wasn't nice. Nice circular reasoning Dad. I told him that from then on i'd continue to lie on the fridge (the usual insults passed between me and my brother lol) instead of telling the truth. It was a funny moment. I had a one-time "You never used to be like this" from mum, but that was pretty much it. The conversation just doesn't come up any more. I can't imagine how hard it must be for somebody from a very strictly religious family. :paranoid:
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 am

I have a fairly good dialogue going with my moody, angst-ridden teenage son using magnetic fridge poetry. He will put things on the fridge he couldn't say out loud. I have to say I heartily approve of the medium.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 am

Yarr aren't fridge magnets wonderful mateys? I has a collekshun o magnet hook attachments wot I keeps on thee fridge.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DaveL on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I used fridge magnets spelling out "There is no god" on the fridge to tell my parents.

YArrrr...

That's not half as bad as a fridge magnet which says "There is no food". That'd get me riled up more than some philosophical stance matey.
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 am

DaveL wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:I used fridge magnets spelling out "There is no god" on the fridge to tell my parents.

YArrrr...

That's not half as bad as a fridge magnet which says "There is no food". That'd get me riled up more than some philosophical stance matey.

Yarr, or some fridge magnets spellin out: Yer dinner's in thee dog!
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion