Revoking Their Poetic License.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Revoking Their Poetic License.

Postby ken worley on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 pm

This is one of my favorite pastimes.

Read popular fiction.(the trashier the better.)

Visualize the described scenes in your mind, as you read, but give no poetic license to the author.

Take everything absolutely literally.

As an example, in a popular detective series written by a woman, one of the lines (describing an Irish coroner's office) read as follows:

His desk was a wide expanse of clutter, teetering stacks of paperwork, dirty coffee cups, and a phone that rang more than it should.

Here you picture the phone ringing at random intervals, being picked up by the coroner, and there is no one on the other end.(you know, the phone rang more often than it should.)

Or, it continues to ring, throughout the entire phone conversation.

One of my favorite books was an old turn-of-the-century thriller called "The Circular Staircase".

At one point, the first-person narrator had to tell a woman that her father had died.

It went like this:

Analee was still weak from her illness, and I didn't want to shock her, so I broke the news of her father's passing in stages, first telling her that he was very ill, then that he was dead.

picture it....heeheehee

I hope you all try this...it is hilarious.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Zankou on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 pm

you have a sick mind....cool...

I'm definitely going to try this...
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Duke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:31 am

You're not actually suggesting that someone pay for popular fiction? :o

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ken worley on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 am

Duke wrote:You're not actually suggesting that someone pay for popular fiction? :o

Duke

Only the fool what wrote it.

These types of books can always be found at very little to no cost.
Yard sales, waiting rooms, the laundromat.

The people who buy them seem to have an innate subcincious sense of their true worth, and deal with them accordingly, the second they turn the last page.

"She was still weak from her illness, so I broke the terrible news to her in stages, first telling her that her Father was very ill, and then that he was dead."....
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Duke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:49 pm

I'l see if I come across anything... But I won't exactly be looking very hard. :D

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors