Logic, IQ, and Lateral Thinking Problems.

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby blackeyedbutch on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 pm

two trains leave boston one travels east at 65 mph the other west at 45 mph the trian traveling west on day 1 was engulfed in a worm whole and let out at a random location at a random time, assuming this location is still on earth which train was closer to itally by day 3

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:33 pm

I have no clue, but that train that was heading east would have ended up in the Atlantic pretty early on the first day.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby DeltaWhiskey on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 pm

what sort of worm could consume a train, whole?

*ducks!*
*Disclaimer: Not actual military
DeltaWhiskey
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:24 am

wormhole not worm

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ke_mikiao on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:17 pm

blackeyedbutch wrote:two trains leave boston one travels east at 65 mph the other west at 45 mph the trian traveling west on day 1 was engulfed in a worm whole and let out at a random location at a random time, assuming this location is still on earth which train was closer to itally by day 3

is that a real riddle??? or you just being funny?

and is the answer 'bacon'?
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm

ke_mikiao wrote:draw a line from the point C downward.......it'll turn the triangle into the number 4..............which is 2 squared........a perfect square......

I liked my perfect square lying on its side answer better. But hey, I didn't make up the question. Mind you, the number 4 has a bit sticking out the right hand side so with that bit missing it would be an imperfect square.

or something like that.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Imperfection
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby ke_mikiao on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:36 pm

St_JtB wrote:
ke_mikiao wrote:draw a line from the point C downward.......it'll turn the triangle into the number 4..............which is 2 squared........a perfect square......

I liked my perfect square lying on its side answer better. But hey, I didn't make up the question. Mind you, the number 4 has a bit sticking out the right hand side so with that bit missing it would be an imperfect square.

or something like that.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Imperfection

it all depends on how you write your 4......when i write it there is no diagonal part to it at all.....its like a field goal with the center post to one side.

i also cross my 7's..........but thats a different topic
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:47 pm

ke_mikiao wrote:is that a real riddle??? or you just being funny?

and is the answer 'bacon'?

Ohhhhh look who's talking now, Mr perfect square from a four thats not really a four!

It does seem like this is another bogus riddle though. I keep reading it to see if it is a play on words or something, but I've got nothing.

Unless there are trans-oceanic railways the east one aint going anywhere. And the west one could still be in the wormhole after 3 days.

This one bugs me almost as much as the triangle.

I give.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby ken worley on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm

blackeyedbutch wrote:two trains leave boston one travels east at 65 mph the other west at 45 mph the trian traveling west on day 1 was engulfed in a worm whole and let out at a random location at a random time, assuming this location is still on earth which train was closer to itally by day 3

Well, there are several tricky points to explore.

First, you'll note that the problem doesn't state that the westbound train was engulfed in a wormhole, but that it became a "trian" and was "engulfed in a worm, whole."

Forget the other train.
Clearly it has entered the Atlantic, drowning all aboard.It no longer figures in this problem.

At a random day/time, the "trian" was let out of the worm, we don't know where, but we can assume that, as a speed change wasn't indicated, it is still travelling at 45 mph, despite it's shift into a mysterious "trian", and we can further assume that the trian, whatever it may be, smells strongly of worm feces.
(I don't know how important that bit is.)

But, if the trian, upon being shot out of a worm's ass at a respectable velocity of 45 mph was still headed toward Italy, then, no matter where the worm defcated it, it must still be closer to Italy after another 3 days than the soggy eastbound train, which, if you recall, is rusting on the bottom of Boston Harbor, full of rotting corpses and crates of now-ruined ostrich-feather hats.(I expect extra-credit for figuring out the hats part.)
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby EarthRise on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Well I'll be damned, Ken, that must be it :)
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby ken worley on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:07 pm

I think that I figured out the trick intended in this riddle, but, the way it was written, it still could be incorrect.

I suspect this riddle was handed down orally through several generations, after its original translation from the original Chinese by a Japanese man who spoke some Chinese, but used a translating dictionary to convert it, as he had no English.

First, the problem says "by day three", not "three days later".
And, even if it said "three days later", would that be enough time?...
let's see.
1/2 Earth's circumference = roughly 12, 500 miles.

45 mph X 72 hours= 3240 miles....not enough...the drowned train could still be closer.

At any rate, there is some rope left over from ke mikao's lynching to "get" B.E.B, too....anyone up for a "posse"? :fsm_ninja:
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Thats funny Ken! I'm usually don't care to call people on spelling mistakes and had initially just written those off. But after getting nowhere I actually started to consider wether or not it was swallowed "whole" by a worm, what a trian could be, and where the hell is "itally".

If the train in the ocean thing is not relevant, then why couldn't they just be planes?

If this trian wreck is headed where I think it is, Mikao's rope won't be sufficient for me. I want tar, feathers, stones, fire, ice, the rack, and the dogs of war.

Seriously Black eye, this better be good.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:06 pm

wrong ken and since I no longer feel like reading how no one thinks it's very logic i shall just give the answer

Due to the properties of a wormhole the train traveling west was ripped into sub-atomic particles and redistributed in a second demension, thus being that train traveling west is no longer in the same existance the train traveling east, even if all have drownd and died, is still closer to Itally, NM (please no one look up this city for i just mad it up in order to covere one of my many typos)

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Ahhh man, you been snorting dilithium crystals with the tribbles again havent you.

assuming this location is still on earth

Yeah thats the assumption I was working under.

and redistributed in a second demension

Okay its on earth, but in a different dimension? We can percieve 4 dimensions of the possible 11 theoretically posited by string theory. Unless your trian is in the 5th - 11th its still on earth. Even if it is in one of those dimensions (and still on earth, as you said suck. :x ) its still on earth. Whether or not we can percieve it was not a requisite of your riddle.

What riddle rests on the constraints of metaphysics as percieved by some random dude.

1 was engulfed in a worm whole and let out at a random location at a random time

We don't even know if that trian exited the worm whole within that first 3 days.

Did you make this up yourself? Were you drunk when you posted it? Seriously though, when I enter into a riddle contest I assume that there is a logical answer, not some random geeks musings on the last episode of battlestar galctica that he watched.

Sorry to sound pissed, but I likely wasted a half an hour trying to figure this one out. At least ke_mikiao's triangle was a play on words and did have a somewhat logical conclusion.

No offense, but you totally suck :x .

P.S. Even if my interpretation of string theory, worm "wholes" or dimensions are totally wrong, please do not even attempt to address that here. Someone please just post a decent Logical riddle, before I go apeshit on BEB.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby blackeyedbutch on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm

if i wasted any of your time them my job here is done

and yeah i was drunk I'm a pirate constently under the impression of grog

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes