What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:23 pm

El Laberinto del Fauno

or if you prefer, Pan's Labyrinth.

Guillermo Del Toro's best work so far, written and directed by him.

it's just... amazing. you have to think, and it's in spanish, but it's an amazing original story.

oh, not for the squeamish either. creepy bug things and a good ammount of stabbing. lots of shooting, but thats not terribly gory in most cases.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 pm

I Just saw A Night in the Museum. Excellent kid's movie. Another one where the "big screen" is a must.

Worth the price of a ticket, for a change.

Cardinal Queequeg
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby ThorGonzo on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:01 pm

I watched Underworld Evolution with my boy.
He's into the blood and gore stuff.

I like vampire flicks, and Kate Beckinsale in leather.
Not much substance, though.
The visual effects were enjoyable.
spaghetti is a gateway pasta.
ThorGonzo
Ziti Zealot

Postby EarthRise on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Alien, yo. A classic.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby deadgenome on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:15 pm

I just watched Jarhead which I found to be a flawed but also thought provoking and unconventional war movie, would like to know from our military members what they think of it.
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Duke on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Little Shop of Horrors. :)

My favorite movie musical...Well, tied with The Producers, maybe.

Also, I watched The Deer Hunter. It was beautiful. That is the kind of movie that I could sit down and watch again and again. And there are very few of that kind of movie.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I saw Last King Of Scotland a few hours ago. really good movie.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby EarthRise on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:10 am

Royal Tenenbaums. Love it.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:46 am

Well, technically, I watched the first bit of The Sixth Sense last, but I really watched Manhattan, the Woody Allen flick. I would have to say that it is his best not completely silly movie. I consider it the only romantic comedy (but it's not a chick flick) type movie that I can stand, high praise from me. The movie is gorgeous is so many ways.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Antipaladin on Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:43 pm

Pan's Labrynth. I have to disagree with Qwertyuiopasd. I did not like the film. The brutal war and torture violence and the fantasy elements did not blend well together. It reminded me of Brother's Grim in that respect. Some of the immagry was lovely, but it would have been better for me if it had either gone full WW2 drama or full fantasy.
He's dastardly. He loves catastrophy. His schemes are masterly. Sixteen and half-past-three.
Antipaladin
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:21 pm

I watched most of Amélie last Saturday. I didn't see the very end, but I did watch enough to decide that I like the film.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:33 pm

thats a very good, very strange, but very good movie.

I wonder... how many people are having sex right now?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:30 pm

The main character's actress, Audrey Tautou, did an excellent job. Made the movie well worth watching.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jean Bart on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 pm

Horse feathers", well, this time only the musical stuff: the opening scene with Groucho singing (and dancing!) "I'm against it!" and "I allways get my man", and the five renderings of "Everyone says I love you". Not a coincidence: I'm reading "Harpo speaks!"...
:fsm_rock:
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby TalkingBull on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:37 pm

I went out and saw Ghost Rider this weekend. I really liked it and if you enjoyed the comic, you will probably like it as well.

I also saw the Bridge to Taribithia (I have a 7-year-old daughter so I have an excuse). That movie was very good... but sad :(
I am a legally ordained Minister of the Church of the flying Spaghetti Monster and YES, my Dog Tags do in fact have Pastafarian as my "Religious Preference."

Check out my new Pirate-themed card game HERE!
TalkingBull
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors