curious...

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

curious...

Postby weefolk on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:06 pm

does "separation of church and state" mean if I wore a bandana to school they couldn't do anything about it? I could, hypothetically, contact the ACLU about it if they bugged me about it couldn't I?
weefolk
Ziti Zealot

Postby Aeger on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:09 pm

...is there an anti-bandanna policy?
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby weefolk on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:28 pm

there's an anti-headgear policy
weefolk
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:26 am

you'd have to prove it as religious apparatus, and if it were piratey enough it'd work with Pastafarianism, but I'm not sure how recognized we are. depends on the princible/superintendent really.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby MPTrooper on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:37 am

Bandana's are often seen as gang related depending on where you live. Of course I would say why worry about it but I've never been one to "rock the boat".

Guess that explains why I'm so good at my job ;)
MPTrooper

Postby weefolk on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:30 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:you'd have to prove it as religious apparatus, and if it were piratey enough it'd work with Pastafarianism, but I'm not sure how recognized we are.
~Qwerty

I put the pirate fish on there and I'm gonna bring a brochure for the church as proof.
weefolk
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm

all I can say is that I'm sending you good karma and good luck, but don't get your hopes up. the pirate fish should help.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: curious...

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 pm

weefolk wrote:does "separation of church and state" mean if I wore a bandana to school they couldn't do anything about it? I could, hypothetically, contact the ACLU about it if they bugged me about it couldn't I?

Weefolk,

I am not sure if you are serious here or just having fun, but, if yer serious, then I guess the first thing to do is ask you why you would feel that wearing a bandana would be constitutionally protected? The term "separation of church and state" is a rough concept to desribe an aspect of the First Amendment, though the term itself does not appear in the constitution.

Here is the First Amendment to the US Constitution's Bill Of Rights:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If your school has a policy with regards to headgear, I don't see how it impinges on your religious rights as Pastafarians are not required to wear bandanas everywhere as a result of their adherence to their specific religious beliefs.

Can you please restate the issue to better illustrate where you feel that a potential constitutional violation may be occuring? My reason for asking is that based upon what you have presented, the answer to your question is a simple "no." (well, not "no" to contacting the ACLU, but to the constitutional violation part :mrgreen: )

Thanks.
:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby weefolk on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Well, my efforts were not totally in vain... for the half hour i was in school before i had to take it off I got asked about it a lot and spread the Noodly word. After looking in my student handbook I found out that if I get parental consent I can leave the school grounds for religious purposes (Friday)
weefolk
Ziti Zealot

Postby dabeast on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:40 pm

weefolk wrote:there's an anti-headgear policy

I laughed pretty hard when I read that. I just imagined how a rule like this came about, were people headbuting poor children with football helmets on? Or perhaps someone bought a giant 5 foot in diamiter novelty sumbraro they wore around constantly?

And yes I'm joking I understand the reasons for this.
Image[/URL]
Cyanide & Happiness @
dabeast
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:07 am

I'm not sure I entirely understand the reasons for it myself. other than gang symbols, whats so bad about a head covering? perhaps its 'disrespectful', but where does that come from? I believe it might come from christian beliefs invovling not wearing a head covering in the house of god and such, but I'm not positive on that, its just a hunch I hope is right :D

~Qwerty

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby SC-Pastafarian on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:48 am

If you are not allowed to wear a bandana it is most likely for gang-related reasons.
Hypothetically, if your religioun stated that you were required to wear a bandana, the school could still require you to remove it on the grounds of safety to other students. If you practicing your religious stuff could potentially harm others (ie: gang related fights in a school hallway) your rights to wear it stop.

From what I remember in high school we weren't allowed to wear hats because it was supposedly disrespectful.
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-Konrad Adenauer
SC-Pastafarian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Location: Holding an empty mug to the mouth of a beer volcano.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:04 am

yeah, but wheres that come from?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:yeah, but wheres that come from?

Why don't you ask your school board? They should be able to give you some kind of answer to that question.

:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:36 pm

keep forgetting :D

I'll get to the bottom of this mystery!

(I bet it was Mr. Jenkins, the janitor)

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Next

Return to The Cause