Patron Pirates of Fine Art

Found a stunning new portrayal of His Noodly Majesty? New art, adapted art, links to do-it-yourself art? Realistic, conceptual, whatever? Post it here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Patron Pirates of Fine Art

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 am

I know that a lot of you are skilled in the ways of Photo Shop; however, graphic design isn’t my area. I prefer sculpture and ceramics, and I just recently started printmaking. Below are some of the artworks that I made very recently, and if anyone else has made any noodly fine art, I hope you share it here!

This is an intaglio print, entitled "The Noodly Creator." I have about a dozen others in varying color or just black. This is the one I didn't turn in for my final grade, so I do have nicer ones if anyone is interested.

The above is my soft sculpture of the FSM. I'm going to be putting it in my art show next fall, so if anyone has a suggestion on a title I would like to hear it. It's fun because when my friends come over they all touch the noodly appendages. (The photo is really bad, but if I get around to taking a nicer one I'll share it so you can see both meatballs at least!)

Now this is how I thought the ancient Egyptians would have seen the FSM; it's a ceramic relief. On the left-hand side the hieroglyphs read, "Given Life like FSM." (The FSM hieroglyph is one that I made up.)
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Sekhmet on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:57 pm

Hey Neferka Thanks for bringing these to my attention! You are very talented. If i might suggest the alteration to the Egyptian while could be explained as a modern updating of the FSM. I wouldn't do it myself i would just call it the great meatball of Ancient Egypt. Why well many Egyptianologists are just as touchy about their stuff as are other groups about theirs :) :twisted: Everything else is just wonderful thanks for sharing.
Sekhmet the Right Hand and Daughter of the Egyptian God Re. Both a healer and destroyer, i love my daddy:)
Sekhmet
Ziti Zealot

ef-sem

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks, Sekhmet! You are very kind.

The Egyptian-inspired slab is just my creation by combining a double Aten, wings found on other Deities, and adding eyeballs. I use a lot of ancient Egyptian themes and icons in my own art, but this time I really strayed from historic accuracy. The reason there are two sun disks is to relate it to our FSM, with the two meatballs, and the sun rays are obviously correlated with the noodly appendages. Why are the noodles so strait though? This could be seen as artistic interpretation, or that the noodles were still new and uncooked; this could be up for debate. The wings, a symbol for protection and found adorning many Egyptian Gods, give a more emphasis on the "flying" aspect of the FSM. I almost didn't add the eyestalks, but I thought it unified the imagery and made it more amusing. Besides, the ancient Egyptians used flying eyeballsin their own art, so I didn't think I was straying too much from my original inspiration.

When I was in Egypt, I bought some papyrus sheets, so I would like to do some paintings on that, which should be fun. If anyone has ideas for imagery, I'd like to hear any suggestions.

I still need a title for my big soft-sculpture, if anyone has any input!
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Wow! All of those are wonderful!

We seem to be having a pre-Columbian theme in here these days. I went and looked at a site for noodly appendages but found a fish for my avatar.

http://www.mesoweb.com/features/jpl/cultures.html

Maybe some of these will be inspiring.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Art Show

Postby NeferKa on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17 am

I recently was in a 3-person show this last week at my university, and I had my FSM work on display. I had a large sculpture and a series of prints. I also had the FSM from ancient Egypt in a Egyptian tomb installation I created.

This is from below the Noodly One.

Everyone wanted to touch the noodly appendages.

Along the wall behind the FSM there were 8 intaglio prints on display, which are similar to my avatar.

What was great was that just about everyone who brought a camera took photos under the FSM! It was a fun reception! The Gospel was spread, and I think we may have helped reduce Global Warming a bit!

Let me know what you think!
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to Art and Artistic Adaptations