Against Religion?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Against Religion?

Postby Randy Osgood on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:08 am

I go to a catholic school in result of getting kicked out of the public school down here, is it against religion to go to another church or receive Eucharist?

I don't want to, but might get in trouble if I don't.

Please reply :)
Finally - A religion that doesn't suck.
Randy Osgood
Ziti Zealot

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:41 am

If you are not Catholic then you should not receive the Eucharist. If you ARE Catholic and go to another church for whatever reason, you shouldn't partake in their...sacrament. Catholic faith maintains that only an Ordained Priest is capable of Performing the Sacrament of Communion. No doubt my fellow Catholics (I'm not the only one right?) will be able to cover anything I may have missed.

No one should force you into performing a Religious service you are not comfortable with.
MPTrooper

Re: Against Religion?

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:20 am

I can't believe that no one has added to this amazing conversation in three years!

C'mon people, important threads are being deleted all the time. We better revive this one before it is axed!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Ubi Dubius on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

I took Catholic communion once (I was Methodist then). My Catholic girlfriend was too surprised to do anything. Afterwards, she just kept quiet so neither of us would get in trouble. She later explained to me that I shouldn't have done that.

Look ma, no tongue burns!

(+0)
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 am

I was a guest at a Hindu temple once. They would have been seriously offended if I hadn't eaten and drunk with them. And it was more than a flippin' wafer...

Just checked the mirror. No bindi miraculously appearing on my forehead. I think I must have gotten away with it too...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby LibraLabRat on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:54 am

I am a recovering Catholic. Actually, my grandmother had me start going to preseminary classes while still in high school. When I first read the Apocrypha and learned of other versions of the Bible, I was shocked. That caused me to doubt what I had been taught, and begin a lifelong quest of personal research.

The way I see it, all Christians work for the same boss, and these little dogmatic peculiarities should not prevent you from effectively worshipping. In fact, Jesus himself spoke out against a legalistic approach to religion.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:09 am

Anyone notice something weird about the second poster?

Black username, no avatar, no details.

Oh, and s/he's wrong. A Catholic may partake of communion during Anglican service and vice versa.

My mother was a convert to Roman Catholicism in her teens, and I trained as a Catechist.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby LibraLabRat on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

MPTrooper used to be around here a while back. I am guessing he no longer as an active profile. Speaking of which, is Capellini still around?
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 am

MPTrooper gradually turned into a real mean jerk and was eventually banned for it. As for Capellini, she doesn't post much lately, but she's still around. She had three or four posts last month, and her last visit to the board was yesterday, according to her profile.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby LibraLabRat on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:32 am

Her and I had our disagreements, but she was generally ok. I remember having my own outs with MPT.....
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby bacon on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 am

a month ago i was at a catholic service and the priest made it very clear that you could only come up and receive communion if you were catholic and had recently gone to confession - about 5 people wound up going up to receive that day
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 am

How would he know if your were Catholic or not or if you had taken confession??

Big lightening bolt gonna come crashing out of the ceiling??

(by the by, I was supposed to be Catholic. Made First Holy Communion and after that, well, nothing)
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby bacon on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am

all i know is that he wasn't serving spaghetti - so i wasn't eating
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Randy Osgood on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Holy shit I just found this by googling my name. You guys didn't get the question, I still remember it 2 years from now.
I was going to tell my teacher that I was Pastafarian and couldn't receive the Eucharist at the church because it was against religion. I didn't believe in God and like the idea of FSM so I considered myself a Pastafarian lol, I have a copy of the Gospel now as well :D

Anyway yeah, it was just a question I figured the community would decide if they bothered answering their opinions.
Finally - A religion that doesn't suck.
Randy Osgood
Ziti Zealot

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:32 am

Our religion has flimsy moral standards. There's no hellfire and damnation around here (unless you bring it with you). As far as Pastafarianism is concerned, you can eat your Jeez-its™ crackers and drink your communion wine, it doesn't bother the FSM. If, however, you are not a true believer in the Roman Catholic faith, and you have not been to confession and whatever else you are required to do, the Roman Catholic church will be pissed off with you if you take communion. Question answered?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Next

Return to All Things FSM