Frank Miller's 300

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Frank Miller's 300

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:48 pm

new movie... some real trailers got leaked on the net I think.. some were on a few sites, but its been cleaned up. its definitely not on video.google.com might be on youtube though.

anyway, its about this Spartan guy whose raised from infancy to be a crazy warrior dude, and becomes their leader, and then theres something involving a war against Persia, and a battle of 300 spartans v. all of persias army or something.

from what I've seen, it looks good. I saw Sin City and I liked it. I think I'll have to check out some Frank miller comic books soon...

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: Frank Miller's 300

Postby Duke on Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:00 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:new movie... some real trailers got leaked on the net I think.. some were on a few sites, but its been cleaned up. its definitely not on video.google.com might be on youtube though.

anyway, its about this Spartan guy whose raised from infancy to be a crazy warrior dude, and becomes their leader, and then theres something involving a war against Persia, and a battle of 300 spartans v. all of persias army or something.

from what I've seen, it looks good. I saw Sin City and I liked it. I think I'll have to check out some Frank miller comic books soon...

~Qwerty

You are talking about the Battle of Thermopylae, during the Greek-Persian Wars. 300 Spartans were holding a mountain pass in defense against the Persians, but they were betrayed routed, and after two days of feirce fighting, the Spartans, including their king, were defeated and killed.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:59 am

yeah, thats what my parents said it was.

but it looked reeeeaaaally good. kind of like Troy or Alexander, except... w/o brad pitt, more badass, and... Frank Miller!

my favourtie part of the trailer was one part where this guy was talking with the leader, and the guy talked was standing right infront of a large pit.

"this is madness!" says the guy talking.
"madness?" the leader says, "this is SPARTA!" and he kicks the dude into the pit.

:D
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:30 pm

I hope you like it, Qwerty, if I muster up the resolve to get to a theater, I might even see it.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:48 pm

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:59 pm

Uh, wow, this sure is interesting. It's really neat, I'm typing in the trailer. I think I'll just say "Duke" now.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:03 pm

what are you talking about Duke? are you not happy with the way I posted that? I said I had seen the trailer, but now its not on google video, which is where I saw it. I found a new link to it that still worked, so I was posting it here, so you could actually see it.

~Qwerty

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

The link you gave brought me to the posting window on this very thread.... :o

Here's the link I got in your post:
http://www.venganza.org/forum/posting.p ... ply&t=6508

I thought that might have been a clever joke...... :roll:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:44 pm

how is it clever or a joke? it was a simple c/v error. if you had pointed that out instead of (in my opinion) being a jerk about it, we could've fixed it by now.

heres' the real working link:
http://download.ifilm.com/qt/portal/2773266_300.mov

~Qwerty

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:36 pm

Take it easy, Qwerty, I made a mistake, no need to get worked up.

Seems like a pretty neat film.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:36 am

I'm perfectly calm. I've been perfectly calm since thursday. I was merely pointing out the err of your ways.

but anyway, about the trailer, what'dya think?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby MPTrooper on Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:10 am

"Our arrows will blanket the sky!"

"Good, That means we will fight in the shade."
MPTrooper

Postby Duke on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:23 pm

They actually said that.... :o

According to historical texts, that is.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:58 pm

they actually said that?

didn't know Spartans spoke english....

:D:D:D:D

regardless of who originally said it, its a damn fine exchange of words.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Well, that's what the ol' history texbook tells me:

Peasant:
They say in battle, the Persian arrows block the sun!

Spartan Soldier:
Good! We shall fight in the shade!

Now that's the spirit!

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors