Jesus Camp, 100% on the Tomato Meter

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Jesus Camp, 100% on the Tomato Meter

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:48 pm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jesus_camp/

this is from reviews only, and the page was just set up before I posted this, so the rating has perhaps gone down.

but the reaction seems to be favourable.

I'm going to see it if I can.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby kat on Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 am

Those are some scary kids.

My son was homeschooled for a few years, in part to preserve his liberality (he's been in school since the beginning of 8th) but mostly because the current view of preteen boiys is that they need to be drugged.

Now in High School, there are a few other homeschooled kids (you can't get a NYS regents diploma without high school so a lot of homeschooled kids do High School) and my son says they are SCARY....

Whereas the general view of him is of a strange, eloquent, genuinely good kid....

I'm still trying to drag him here....he's was pastafarian before me.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Tansy the Terrible on Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Kronos and his sister were homeschooled for 2 years. I put him back into school due to a need to return to the workforce but unfortunately that particular school was harbouring bullies and he got whacked by a child in grade 5. (He was in grade3 at the time) So, after telling the principal where she could go, he was homeschooled for another year. (Funny story... The principal and I got into it right there in the hallway where she 'informed me' that homeschooling was illegal and she'd call the authorities. Some legal documents sent to the schoolboard later and I now have a lovely letter of apology asking me nicely to not sue.)
But when he was put back into a much better school they put him through testing to see if he was 'up to standards'...
Turns out my grade 4 child was reading at a grade 9 level and capable of grade 8 mathamatics. Did I want to skip him? No thank you... he's just fine... lol
"Okee dokee doggie daddy!"
Tansy the Terrible
Stele Second Mate

Postby kat on Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:52 pm

Turns out my grade 4 child was reading at a grade 9 level and capable of grade 8 mathamatics. Did I want to skip him? No thank you... he's just fine... lol

And my son, who was behind level in reading and math when he left, was just above level for math and reading at the college level at the start of 8th....

But, Jesus homeschoolers are scary..... I was a "gifted" kid, and I would've done better homeschooled....as long as my mom wasn't the one doing it...roffle.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:26 pm

kat wrote:Those are some scary kids.

My son was homeschooled for a few years, in part to preserve his liberality (he's been in school since the beginning of 8th) but mostly because the current view of preteen boiys is that they need to be drugged.

Now in High School, there are a few other homeschooled kids (you can't get a NYS regents diploma without high school so a lot of homeschooled kids do High School) and my son says they are SCARY....

Whereas the general view of him is of a strange, eloquent, genuinely good kid....

I'm still trying to drag him here....he's was pastafarian before me.

I would resist homeschooling my kids against anything but impending nuclear war. But then, I plan on planning ahead, and not having kids until I'm living somewhere with suitable schools. But as long as the education is good, and you don't have to pass through a metal detector to get to class, the rest is just life.

Definitely convince the loin-fruit to come around. Try bribery.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Re: Jesus Camp, 100% on the Tomato Meter

Postby Duke on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jesus_camp/

this is from reviews only, and the page was just set up before I posted this, so the rating has perhaps gone down.

but the reaction seems to be favourable.

I'm going to see it if I can.

~Qwerty

It's 93% now, but 14 out of 15 still great.

I've read about the film and heard about it. Did you know that the leader of Jesus Camp fully supports the documentary? Don't nobody tell her what people are saying about it.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby kathic on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Best horror movie of the year. I plan to see it in the 1 cinema in the whole state that will show it.
"Well, of course it's not true. But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe, and I tell the media what to believe. It's really quite simple."

No nation-building; don’t police the world. That’s conservative, it’s Republican, it’s pro-American - it follows the founding fathers. And, besides, it follows the Constitution.” ~Ron Paul

"Life, Liberty, Property" - Locke
kathic
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:07 am

I can't speak for my state, but I know the cinemas on my isalnd, and they wouldn't show it if they had a gun to their head........

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Zillax0rz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:10 am

It's on DVD now. Very objective film, I felt, even though it is dramatic. Gave me the willies.
Zillax0rz
Ziti Zealot

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors