Toronto Pastafarians! I need your help!

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Toronto Pastafarians! I need your help!

Postby boghog on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Calling all motorhead Pastafarians in the Toronto area!

I'm putting together a team for the upcoming Race for a Curecharity go-kart race on October 22nd. Scuderia Spaghetti Volante (or "Flying Spaghetti Racing Team", loosely) needs two more drivers to help race and help fundraise.

The point of the event is to raise money for Cancer Assistance Services of Halton Hills. Here's the blurb from their own web site:

Our more than 37 volunteer drivers provide transportation to treatment centres and this year will exceed 160,000 Km's. In addition, we provide practical & emotional support, equipment, wigs & turbans, dietary supplements, yoga & tai chi classes, respite & palliative care and home-related services, all at no charge to the patient. More than 460 patients have been assisted so far through our programs, and sadly that number increases each year.

This is a small, and truly grassroots, organization that was created seven years ago when the Canadian Cancer Society closed their Halton Hills office (northwest of Toronto) and this group stepped up to fill the void of services. Any excess money that they raise beyond what they need gets donated to the Princess Margaret Hospital (a Toronto hospital with extensive cancer treatment and research programs) each year.

The race is in Brampton on the morning of Sunday, October 22, 2006. It's a "Le Mans"-style race: one kart, 4 drivers, and we switch every ~17 laps. The whole race is about two hours.

If you're interested, here's what I need from you:
- you must be at least 16, and must have parental permission if under 18 (track rule), and must bring a parent to the race if under 18 (my rule)
- you must have a driver's license (another track rule)
- you must be willing and able to raise at least $50 by October 1 for your share of the deposit ($200, split 4 ways), and at least another $50 by race day for a total of $100 ($400, split 4 ways), though more is better and the more we raise, the better our starting position is.
- you must be willing to show up on time for the race on October 22nd, at either 7:30 a.m. or 9:30 a.m (I'm trying for the 9:30 race, but can't promise that it won't fill up)

It would be good if you have some karting experience, but don't be shy if you don't; this is more about raising money and having fun than getting a trophy.

If you're still interested, PM me here.

Can't make the race, but want to help?

If anyone here is interested in supporting us, check the forums for fundraising announcements to come. CAShh is a registered charity in Canada and donations are tax-deductible for Canadians. If you want to donate from elsewhere, check the tax rules where you live.

Woot!

(BTW - we DEFINITELY need an FSM in a racecar emoticon) :D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm

argh. I so want to do that. but alas, I am too young, and too not-canadian.

what would be the procedure if I wanted to send any ammount of money from america as an american?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby boghog on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:12 pm

I'll know better once I get the registration package, but I believe cheque or money order, made out to Cancer Assistance Services of Halton Hills, by snail mail would be the best bet.

You'd get a tax receipt, but I don't know what the IRS would say about using it in a return (might be good to check out, but American tax rules give me the heeby-jeebies).

Anyhow, once the team's registered I can give you the official word.

boghog
Lord of Linguini

I live in Halton too!!

Postby Great Gazoo on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:02 pm

I don't want to get your hopes up though, I just join the forum so scrapping 50 bucks from my cheap Oakvillians may be a problem. Also I do shift work so I don't know if I will be able to help you. However I will at least try to be there on the sidelines cheering you on. I'm going to have to get off my lazy ass and order a pin and a flag so you will see me.

Of course the big GREAT GAZOO written on my leather jacket may be a clue.
If Life was without a little Monty Pythonish behavior it just wouldn't be worth doing
Great Gazoo
Ziti Zealot

Postby boghog on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks for responding, Gazoo.

I think it's safe to say that a Pastafarian team isn't going to happen. I didn't get any interest at all when I posted (well, Qwerty sounded REALLY interested, but couldn't make it for reasons of age & distance), and over the weekend my teammate injured his wrist, so he's out too. Between that and the fact that recent goings-on* have made me question my desire to openly participate as a Pastafarian in a public event, I've decided not to organize a team.

BTW, in case you want to put your own team together, the $100 doesn't have to come out of your own pocket - it's run the same way as any other "whatever-a-thon": if you can get $5 pledges from 20 people, you're in.

*Not just the forum shakeups, though that made me angry about how it was handled and left me in a "wait-and-see" frame of mind. Until I make up my mind one way or the other, I'm not going to do things that could be seen as tacit approval for the handling of things during the mess last week.

As a consequence, I've held off of posting lately, but I thought your message needed a response, since I don't want you to show up at the track on race day expecting to see pirates and Spaghetti Monsters and be disappointed.

But even before what transpired last week, the re-designed front page and other things made me realize that many people view the FSM movement as not only a satirical stab at ID, but as an attack at religion. I'm not going to wrap myself in the Pastafarian flag if people I care about will take it as a message saying "I hate your God," which is where I now think things have ended up.

If you do want to participate in the race, though, try contacting the race organizers (at the www.raceforacure.ca web site) - occasionally, they get teams of three who need an extra person.

boghog
Lord of Linguini

Re: Toronto Pastafarians! I need your help!

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 am

Hmmm is this an annual event ?
I love Kart !
It's pedal to the metal and don't look behind ya.
Spin em out at the turns , jam em up and leave 'em behind , great fun .

I might be able to find some interested people if you want to do a pirate theme team this year .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Return to FSM Gatherings