Diablo II LOD

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:43 am

For a paladin, I prefer to specialize in one aura. Fanatacism is my fav, but there are others that are good too. For multiplayer, a second paladin with the resistance bonus is very helpful.

I found that paladin defiance (bonus to defense) and barbarian shout (also bonus to defense) do not add. Whichever is strongest seems to take precedence. You can also get defiance by hiring a defensive merc in Act II of Normal or Hell.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:07 am

realy that just makes my Druid life easier. I could try going were-being, but I usually revert to magic. I plan to make a werewolf character, but in my own time. for this little get-together, I'll just do magic, mostly fire, and summon wolves/bears and vines.

and hack away with a sword or maul. :D
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:09 am

LibraLabRat wrote:I think I will uninstall and reinstall the game. I also think part of the problem may be that my laptop is not online and cannot download the patch.

I dont know how much time I will have to play in the near future, because I am substitute teaching, and getting ready to start clearing (turning in a bunch of stuff and getting lots of paperwork done) Right now I am building a psycho Tesladin.....

LLR, you can download the v1.11 patch as a file from here. It is 6.5 MB. Burn it to a CD and then you have an archive copy if you have to reinstall the game.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:55 am

Well, I've been honing up my Boazon* skills. I like to start out in single player with the message (press ENTER to open message window):

/PLAYERS 3

This sets the difficulty level to 3 players, but you only have 1 in the game. Makes it a bit more interesting, but still (for me) pretty easy. My "run away" skills are reflexive, now. I rarely need to drink red (health) potions.

When playing a boazon, I usually opt for a cold-boazon. This time, I'm running around with a fire-boazon. I usually keep the Act I follower (rogue) with a boazon, as the two have similar fighting styles. The Act II or Act V followers tend to run up and die too often. The Act III is also a good mix, and I may buy one of those when I get there. But, I'll have to trade him in when I get to HELL level, as there's too many elemental-immunes. I'd likely go back to an Act I rogue, for HELL. If I keep playing this character that long -- it seems I grow bored with them about the time I finish NIGHTMARE level. *sigh*

Anyway, anytime y'all want to get a game up, and if I'm home, I'll bring the arrows ... :D

* Amazon specalizing in BOW skills, either crossbow or "regular" bow. A Spearazon is an Amazon specialing in spear, just as a Javizon specializes in Javalins. Often these last two are combined.

Finally, there is a Tankazon, who specializes in neither bow nor spear tabs, but ONLY takes the magic-enhancements tab. She fights as a Paladin, Barbarian or other mele character would. She usually uses whatever the best weapon she's found. I prefer single-handed, so I may use a shield. Traditionally, a Tankazon does NOT choose any spear or pole-arms (duuh!).
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:32 am

If we are going to give the Battle Net a try, I am willing, even though dial-up has its problems. Thursday nights would work best for me.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Escargot on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:49 am

I've been playing D2 LoD for a year now, and always as a sorceress or a druid. I have some sort of phobia when it comes to amazons, and paladins, though regarded as the best for diablo and baal runs in hell, somehow give me the feeling that I'm not doing anything when I use the auras, and I tried to make a hammerdin but I lost my cd.
Blizzard sorceresses are apparently excellent for duelling and MFing, and that's what I've been doing with her most of the time.
My druid though (elemental and summoning) is rather weak. Level 89 and he could barely clean out Diablo's sanctuary without getting killed a few times.

Multiplayer though, can be really easy. I made a couple of friends, and now whatever I want, I can get. And when I say whatever, I mean whatever. One of them offered to level up my character to level 90 and their clan leader has a million items stored up and randomely gave me the best for my character without anything in return. It was fun at first, but after a while it takes all the challenge out of the game.

Out of all my characters, I still like my orb sorceress the best, though I hate it when I'm helpless against cold immunes in hell. Hirelings, especially the nightmare act 2 hirelings, help alot, but it's a pain levelling them up.

I like D2, but I'm still more of a single-player, turn based RPG fan, preferring to play games like Final Fantasy VIII or Septerra Core.
Awesome games.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah my foes and oh my friends
It gives a lovely light
Escargot
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby LibraLabRat on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:11 pm

My laptop went tits up...grrr.

However, I will be getting a check for 25 K come the end of October, so I think I will invest in a good gaming er, school laptop....

And my wireless will be up....and I will have custody of my kid...court went super well today. I am off to a steak dinner and some well earned celebration.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:12 am

LibraLabRat wrote:...and I will have custody of my kid...court went super well today.

Congrats. I have a good friend down in Norman that has been fighting that fight for several years, and she has finally won.

Edit: Sorry about the laptop, though.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:43 pm

LibraLabRat wrote:My laptop went tits up...grrr.

What's wrong with it? I have quite a bit of experience fixing PC's & such, maybe I could help in some way ...
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:00 am

News on the D2 front...

In single player, I had TWO characters kill off the cow king in Hell, a paladin and a barbarian.

The paladin had a rough go the first try. He went through the red portal and immediately ran into FIVE bosses. A very quick death. I exited and started again. This time he only ran into two bosses, including the cow king.

This paladin has maxed out skill in Concentration, and a Delirium helmet. Seeing all those confused Hell Bovines was fun.

The barbarian uses a polearm, and has good skill in both Concentrate and Whirlwind. He didn't have too much trouble, but didn't run into more than two bosses at once.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Escargot on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:17 am

Hey, has anyone been able to get Uber Diablo or the Annihilation small charm yet?
Or even the three keys.

I have about 5 keys of terror, but none of hate or destruction. As for selling Stones of Jordan, I haven't even got any myself.
It gives a lovely light
Escargot
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby LibraLabRat on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Bob the Unbeliever wrote:

What's wrong with it? I have quite a bit of experience fixing PC's & such, maybe I could help in some way ...

Let me see: The keyboard got disabled when the ribbon caable pulled out. I use an external. The mouse is external as well. IT is missing a few keys, and about every ninety days or so completely dumps the OS.

I am going to get a new laptop, and probably give the old one back to my fatherinlaw for parts.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:00 am

Escargot wrote:Hey, has anyone been able to get Uber Diablo or the Annihilation small charm yet?
Or even the three keys.

I have about 5 keys of terror, but none of hate or destruction. As for selling Stones of Jordan, I haven't even got any myself.

I have played loads of single player and some TCP/IP games, but very little on Battle Net. So I haven't run into uber-Diablo or the charm.

As for Stones of Jordan, I have never, ever seen one in all of my playing. Don't know if I am just that unlucky, or they are that rare to find.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Escargot on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 am

Apparently one of the ways to get a Stone of Jordan is by killing Andariel, the Countess or some other boss in hell, but I've killed them loads of times and never gotten a SoJ.
It gives a lovely light
Escargot
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:47 pm

LibraLabRat wrote:
Bob the Unbeliever wrote:

Let me see: The keyboard got disabled when the ribbon caable pulled out. I use an external. The mouse is external as well. IT is missing a few keys, and about every ninety days or so completely dumps the OS.

I am going to get a new laptop, and probably give the old one back to my fatherinlaw for parts.

I have replaced laptop keyboards - the ribbon cable "hook" is tricky. You need to unsnap a small plastic "bar" that holds the ribbon in, before you can re-insert the ribbon from the replacement keyboard. Not for the clumsy-fingered. (I use a tiny tweasers, usually)

As for the 90 days - that sounds more like inadequate internet sequirity on the part of your internet providor, maybe. Using a hardware firewall? Anymore, I consider that part a requirement, and NOT an option ... (they are down to $50 or less, if you shop). Of course, it could just be a flakey memory module or CPU that is overheating, and causing random bad-bytes to be written to the hard drive. In about 90 days, these accumulate enough to require a re-install. Unfortunately, most laptops have the initial chunk of RAM and the CPU soldered to the motherboard* ... making replacement completely impossible.

*sigh* If your display's good, you could look for a similar model with a bad display on the internet, and swap the good bits out for the bad bits ... have done that a time or three as well (when I was working tech-department).

* akin to welding a car's engine directly to the frame. STUPID!
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes