Tomato recipes

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Tomato recipes

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Tomatoes keep the scurvy at bay ye kin!

this is vegan

Grilled Tomatos Marinated in Basil Vinaigrette:
*1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil(the only virgin ingredient to be found on a pirate ship!)
*2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
*1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
*3 bay leaves
*2 garlic cloves, minced
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*6 tomatoes, halved horizontally
*oil for greasing the pan or grill
1. preheat broiler or grill.
2.combine olive oil, vinegar, basil, bay leaves, garlic and salt in a medium bowl. stir until well combined. don't use a metal bowl.
3.place tomato halves cut-sides down directly on greased broiler pan or grill rack. broil until they start to char and blister(or shrivel and show good grill marks if on the grill), about 4 minutes.(long enough to enjoy a pint o ale- well unless one daintily sips it)
4. remove cooked tomatoes from heat and place cut-sides up in the dish with oil and vinegar mixture. Spoon some of the mixture over tomatoes. set aside to marinate at least 1 hour, or cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
5. serve at room temperature

serves 6 normal people or 3 pirates just out of the brig

this keeps very well so you can "cook" it when you have the grill/broiler on and then take it with you on a picknik or something a few days later.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 pm

Yes I am a tomato addict- also they are weighing my vines down to the ground.

Vegan

Tomato Vegetable Salad:
1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sweet red wine
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil(feel free to try less it might be just fine)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or coarse mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled and forced through a press
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch of organic sugar- a pinch of sugar in almost anything makes it better
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tomatos cut into wedges- the original recipe said use small tomatos but
I use medium ones because I like tomatos
1 medium sweet onion sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
1 cucumber sliced into 1/4 thick rounds-this again is from the original I
I like cukes also and sometimes put 2 in
6 fresh basil leaves sliced into 1/8 inch ribbons(the fancy name is
chiffonade)
Vegan Parmesan if wanted for garnish-totally optional and non-vegs can
go with animal milk cheese

Vinaigrette:
whisk together the balsamic vinegar, red wine, water, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Do not use a metal bowl.

Place tomatoes, onion, cucumber and basil in a very large zip-top bag.
Pour in the vinaigrette. Seal the bag well and turn over and over to coat vegetables. Put the sealed bag in the refrigerator for at least two hours- or if going on a picknik put the bag in a cooler with lots of ice.

If using parmesan sprinkle it on just at serving time.

Side dish Serves: 6 as per original recipe, if you have used larger tomatos and extra cucumber then maybe 8.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Grey on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 am

Non-vegan, since I likey me cheese.

As many tomatoes as you like.
Parmasan cheese
Salt
Pepper

Slice them up. Lay 'em on a plate, sprinkle cheese to cover, salt and pepper to taste, and nuke it for 15-20 seconds, or until they're pretty warm, but still firm.

Edit: I just discvered a little smiggin of garlic on each slice is pretty tastey, too.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:35 am

I'll post a non-recipe (since that's how I cook) for Smoked Tomato Bruschetta. Good stuff.

8 or 10 Roma tomatoes, halved
Onion (1/2) - fine dice
Garlic (3-4 cloves) - crushed or fine dice. Roast garlic is even better.
Basil (preferrably fresh) and/or Oregano (dried is fine)
Dash of balsamic vinegar

Baguette or other bread

Lox or other uncooked smoked salmon, finely sliced (optional).
Red onions or shallots
Fried Capers

Scoop out tomato seeds; season tomato halves with rock salt and cracked pepper. Hot smoke tomatoes or grill on the BBQ until they begin to char slightly; it helps to start cut side down for 3 or 4 minutes and then flip to retain juices.

Chop or lightly process tomatoes to a fine dice; mix with onion, garlic and season with herbs. Spank with balsamic to taste (won't take much) and olive oil if desired. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.

Slice baguette into rounds; brush with a mix of minced garlic and olive oil or garlic butter (roast garlic oil is best if available). Grill baguette lighly on greased side or broil in oven until slighly brown.

When ready to serve, place a thin covering of bruschetta on each round of baguette. Place one slice of salmon on each, garnish with 1-2 rings of red onion or shallot and 3 fried capers. If excuding salmon, garnish with a basil leaf and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:08 am

When I cook with what is on hand it is called
"hush and eat it."
as in when the kids were little they'd say
"Mom, what is this?"
and I'd say
"hush and eat it."
people ask me for recipes also. and well often I just have to say I was just making it up

Oh and Grey-- I have some vegan parmesan that will work nicely- I also have regular for non-veg friends
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Grey on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:35 pm

I'd be willing to try that.

I cook like that too, except for my baking. I follow that carefully, except for the milk I add to my cookies. I can't tell you how much of what I put in the rest of the stuff.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:26 pm

my grandmom had tons of recipes that had instructions like
take one teacup full of flour and sift 4 times and add 1 spoonful of soda
no standardized measures- but the stuff that came out of her oven was the best- she said that each cook would practice a recipe and then save the cup, spoon etc that worked best and use it as their measure from then on.

Oh and one of her old ovens was one where you held your hand over/near it and counted one mississippi - two mississippi etc to get the heat- as there was no thermostat.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Grey on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 pm

Nice. I add stuff to mine, like the milk to my cookies, a pinch of spices, etc. to cakes, etc. I have a habit of adding Hersey's to my chocolate cakes, but the basics are verbatium.

my usual recipe for tomatoes--

As many romas as you want, cored and sliced.
Basalmic vingar to cover in a bowl
A dash of olive oil
salt
pepper
I like to add oregano and such, but suit yourself.

Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:50 am

I've been sneaking sun dried tomatoes into various dishes- they eat it and don't yell
Yuck I hate tomatoes-- but I have an uncle who breaks out at the sight of a tomato and so I am very careful who I sneak them too- I really don't want to give anyone shock or anything.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Return to Food