Firefly/Serenity Fans?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Firefly/Serenity Fans?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:01 pm

any other browncoats out there? I recently realized this forum has no Firefly/Serenity thread! what an atrocity.

so if there are other browncoats out there, post here with, say, your favourite character, favourite villian, and favourite episode (I suppose movie could count for that...).

my faovurite character is a tie between wash and jayne, villian would have to be operative for sheer villianousness, but Badger for non-protagonist character, and as for episode.. I'm not sure. I'll have to think on that one.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ke_mikiao on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Did you see that one episode where they did that thing and it was sad but funny and then that one guy ate that one thing that caused him to.........

ive never heard of firefly/serenity..........

oh well
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:19 pm

actually firefly was the series which was canceled after 14 episodes, then serenity was the movie of it. look it up on the imdb, and try watching it. its a great show.

thing is, it was good sci fi with good actors and good special effects, but in a time (early 2000's) when reality TV was all the new rage. why bother paying for special effects and actors when you can just pick up any bozo off the street?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Capellini on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Have you SEEN my signature?
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby johngalt on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:02 pm

Firefly is indeed and awesome show. I love Wash and Jane. Wash is just smexy, and Jane is funny.
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:01 am

Jane has the BEST hat ever.

so cap... if you could, would you be Our Mrs. Reynolds?

*snicker* :D :D :D

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby NeuroFreak on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:26 pm

:worship: Firefly is awesome! I love Jayne for all his stupidity and one of my friends is going to try to knit his hat! I've heard about the series for awhile and the last 2 nights I got around to watching the entire series.

I can't wait to see serenity, but I heard it doesn't explain much about the shepard.
"...the heavens are filled with rarefied, luminous spaghetti..." - Vonnegut
NeuroFreak
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Capellini on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Jane has the BEST hat ever.

so cap... if you could, would you be Our Mrs. Reynolds?

*snicker* :D :D :D

Well, I do LOVE a man in a brown trenchcoat . . .

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:31 am

the movie, I think, was made with the mentality that there wasn't going to be any more of it. but the fan-base is so large now, I think its very probable that the show will come back.

of course, I say they should pick it up right where the show left off, and ignore the movie.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby guy_incognito on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:49 pm

I loved the episode "Our Mrs Reynolds"

Saffron is one of my favorite characters.

Of the crew, I really liked Jayne. Or Kaylee.
guy_incognito
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Jerm on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 am

Browncoat pirates unite!

I love that show. I'm with guy_incognito, my favorites are Jayne and Kaylee.

I met Kaylee (Jewel Staite) about a month back, she's a real nice person (and Canadian 8) )

It's too dificult to pick a favorite episode, top contenders are "Our Mrs Reynolds", "The Train Job", "Jaynestown". I can tell you which one I absolutely hate, though ; "Objects In Space".
It all kind of went downhill from there.
Jerm
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Capellini on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:the movie, I think, was made with the mentality that there wasn't going to be any more of it. but the fan-base is so large now, I think its very probable that the show will come back.

of course, I say they should pick it up right where the show left off, and ignore the movie.

Sorry Qwert, but you don't know what large is. The Firefly fan base is pretty small, and the movie gross wasn't very impressive. The longer it is off the air, the less likely it will be revived. At this point, I'd say its never gonna happen. And the fact that Joss killed off two of his main characters is pretty good proof to me that he wasn't even expecting a movie sequel.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:57 pm

I said I thought he wasn't expecting a movie sequal.

so mabye not large fanbase, but a loud one. an active one. I've registered on one firefly fans forum and people are making new browncoats every week. and I'm pretty sure that the fanbase has brought back one other Joss show. Angel maybe? I don't remember.

I don't think that the longer its off the air the less likely it is to return. simply because people who buy the DVD's watch them again and again, and get them for other people, and convert them, who in turn watch them again and again.

if I'm not mistaken a few of the firefly fan websites are organizing a date pretty soon where everyone will email/write to (prefrebly write to) Fox, asking them to return the show.

worth a shot.

and why don't you like objects in space, Jerm? I thought it was pretty good. not the best, but certainly not hate-worthy.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Capellini on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I said I thought he wasn't expecting a movie sequal.

so mabye not large fanbase, but a loud one. an active one. I've registered on one firefly fans forum and people are making new browncoats every week. and I'm pretty sure that the fanbase has brought back one other Joss show. Angel maybe? I don't remember.

I don't think that the longer its off the air the less likely it is to return. simply because people who buy the DVD's watch them again and again, and get them for other people, and convert them, who in turn watch them again and again.

if I'm not mistaken a few of the firefly fan websites are organizing a date pretty soon where everyone will email/write to (prefrebly write to) Fox, asking them to return the show.

worth a shot.

and why don't you like objects in space, Jerm? I thought it was pretty good. not the best, but certainly not hate-worthy.

Nope, the Joss fan-base failed with Angel, too. And if THAT didn't work, which was a highly visible and very innovative operation made to save a show that at the time was still on the air, and had been for 5 critically acclaimed years, nothing is going to bring a show dead now for 2+ back.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Duke on Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:05 am

Let's see, lemme see.....

I heard about Firefly from a friend, I didn't exactly peruse it (I don't, technically, have a TV), but then another friend of mine uploaded all the episodes onto my iPod, so I watched them. It's one of the best sci-fi shows in a while (not like I would know, so much), but I just watched it. That's about it.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors