movies have hit a new low

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

movies have hit a new low

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

A movie version of how to eat fried worms???

and one of its genres is 'coming of age'

wtf??? the kid eats worms, ends up liking it, and therefore gets more popularity-power in fifth grade.

coming of age, this is not!!!

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Pre-army training :? ?
[There was a case over here a dew years ago of an officer ordering a (drafted) recruit to eat some raw earthworms as part of the survival training.
The recruit refused and both went to court. The officer was condemned for giving the order and the recruit for not following it (he should have complained after eating the worms according to the court).]
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:02 pm

Huh? Y'all never read the book? Saw previews for this when I went to see Nacho Libre. The previews were very age-targeted, and it was weird remembering that mindset.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Can't remember ever to have heard of it.
My bringing up was probably not as "normal" (that is without the problems that plague(d) other schools).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm

oh, see, I didn't go see Nacho Libre. last movie I saw was Superman...

I heard about and saw this book at school a while ago, scholastic book fair and such, looked stupid. I think it was more like a recipie book than a story or something.... but I never actually read it.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:01 am

Saw the trailer for that on Tuesday. That made it look like the usual off-the-mill summer comedy.
I am not going to wath the new "Superman" (saw, the trailer and read several reviews, "Christopher Reeves Memorial Movie" probably is the most apt description.).
I found the original 2 movies already quite embarassing (never seen 3&4).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Capellini on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:04 am

Swatopluk wrote:Saw the trailer for that on Tuesday. That made it look like the usual off-the-mill summer comedy.
I am not going to wath the new "Superman" (saw, the trailer and read several reviews, "Christopher Reeves Memorial Movie" probably is the most apt description.).
I found the original 2 movies already quite embarassing (never seen 3&4).

I disagree 100%, and very vehemently. If you are a bona fide Superman fan, you will LOVE that movie.

Brandon Routh does do a very Reevesque Superman, but all it does is help to ease the transition between two different actors in one character.

Excluding the dedication at the end to Dana and Chris Reeve, the movie was not a Christopher Reeve Memorial - it was a Superman Resurrection.

My biggest beef was that I wasn't crazy about Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, but the rest of the movie more than made up for it.

Also, if you haven't seen the first movie in a while, or you don't know it well enough to have it entirely memorized, I would recommend watching it right before going. The new one has a few homages to the first movie that are much more satisfying if you recognize them right away.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 am

They put a few of them right into the trailer, I saw.
I most definitely am not a fan (and I consider myself an informed non-fan).
Chacun a son gout.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Capellini on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:54 pm

Swatopluk wrote:They put a few of them right into the trailer, I saw.
I most definitely am not a fan (and I consider myself an informed non-fan).
Chacun a son gout.

Ahh, if you're not a Superman fan, you won't like it. Don't go.

Unless you're only fan through accidental non-exposure. Then, you may be an undiscovered fan.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby kat on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:01 pm

The best hommage is the minature railway breaking apart, IMO.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ke_mikiao on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:10 pm

i think movies are just running out of ideas.........they were ok, but now every other movie is based off a comic book. There was that string of CGI movies of animals. A few remakes. The predictable romance/comedies that are exactly the same but for the names of people and things.

they are exceptions.....but they seem few and far between........
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby Capellini on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:01 pm

kat wrote:The best hommage is the minature railway breaking apart, In my exquisitely thought-out opinion.

That was good.

Actually, my favorite part was who they got to play Kal-El. That STILL gives me mushy feelings when I think about it.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:52 pm

do you mean Jor-El? because Kal-El is Clark Kent/Superman... although theres some sources which say Kal-El was actually named Jor-El... but yeah, Kal-El is clark, Jor-El is his father.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:40 am

For Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow they reanimated (pun intended) Laurence Olivier.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Capellini on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:37 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:do you mean Jor-El? because Kal-El is Clark Kent/Superman... although theres some sources which say Kal-El was actually named Jor-El... but yeah, Kal-El is clark, Jor-El is his father.

HUGE OOPS! I blame my brain fry on physics.

Yes, I meant Jor-El, I just went retarded for a minute. I'm better now, promise.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors