Couscous- another wheat way to worship FSM

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Couscous- another wheat way to worship FSM

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:25 pm

This looks long and involved- but really isn't

Couscous with asparagus, tomatoes, pine nuts and mint

*2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
*salt and fresh ground black pepper
*3 to 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
*1/2 pound asparagus, preferably thin
*1 cup couscous
*1 cup, halved cherry tomatoes ( try orange or yellow ones with the red)
Or
6 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
*3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
*1 or 2 scallions chopped
*2 tablespoons pine nuts
*1/3 cup crumbled Vegan/Vegetarina Feta cheese(or whatever you like and can get)
*3 tablespoons walnut halves, toasted
*Red, yellow or orange cherry tomatoes and mint sprigs for garnish

Dressing: whisk lemon juice with a pinch of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the oil

Trim tough bases from asparagus. Cut each spear in 3 pieces. Add asparagus pieces to a medium saucepan of boiling water and simmer uncovered over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until asparagus is just tender. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon. measure 1 cup cooking liquid and return it to the pan. Bring to a boil and add couscous. Cover pan and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk dressing again and drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over couscous. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Transfer couscous to bowl and break up any lumps with a fork and then let cool completely.

Whisk remaining dressing, drizzle it over couscous and toss gently with a fork. Add tomatoes, scallions(to taste), and 2 tablespoons of the mint and mix gently.

Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. meanwhile , toast pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking skillet oftne, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Pour into a bowl and let cool.

Aff asparagus and pine nuts to couscous and toss it all together. Taste and adjust salt and pepper(more if needed). Add 1 or 2 tablespoons more oil to moisten( this is optional, some like a dryer couscous).

Serve salad sprinkled with the cheese and remaining chopped mint. Garnish with walnuts, whole cherry tomatoes and mint sprigs.

Serves: 4
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Return to Food