The Sneezy Heresy: Pesto vs. Noodles

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

The Sneezy Heresy: Pesto vs. Noodles

Postby neuraljazz on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Honestly, we didn't know about "Pesto". Here, in our small diminuative gathering, we started to say "Pastafasundheit!" or the shorter version, "Noodles!" in response to a sneeze.

And now, well, it's caught on through our entire IT department. Except for the non-believers, who have their own bizarre and quaint notions.

So, please don't get all beermatic on us when we say "Noodles" when you sneeze.
:D
neuraljazz
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:39 pm

I've never heard of any 'pesto' saying for when you sneeze. but whatever you wanna say is fine. I like gesundheit because it means "don't blow your soul out" and thats kinda funny.

why don't you hop on over to START HERE and uh... start there! read the rules, post so we know you, and then the hazing can begin.

I mean, we'll stop bugging you about posting there... heh.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby boghog on Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Doesn't it just mean "good health"?
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:53 pm

nah, I'm pretty sure its don't blwo your soul out. not sure if german or something closer to russian, but its not romance.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

WoooHOOO

Postby neuraljazz on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Wow. One post and a pasta nazi tells me to read the rules.

If you go search on THIS FORUM, you'll see a 74% poll that's pro-pesto stance. Thus, I posted.

I was just reporting on a phenomenon at work.

And yes, I did START THERE. Thank you very much.
neuraljazz
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:44 pm

any mod or admin would tell you start in START HERE. we have a system when everyone has their preferably first but often just a first-ish post. this way we can tell you're not a spammer or anything, and we know a little about you. it also tells us that you read the rules, and agree with them. EVERYONE does this, and EVERYONE is asked to post there.

and that poll is found if you search, its not on the front page, and you had no reference to it, I didn't know about it, and I was merely stating that.

sorry if I've come off as nazi-like, I didn't intent to. just doing my job.

as for my confusion, it was ignorance on the subject and nothing more.

let's both try to not get mad about this, and move on. litterally everyone has a point early in their posting in which they run into a problem with the rules or something, for any reason. most calm down and figure out what exactly happened, make ammends, and move on. some.... get, shall we say, superioristic about it and end up getting banned.

lets just take a step back, and calm down.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:48 pm

If you started THERE, then why are both your first posts HERE, and not in the New Convert Thread?

It's a gentle reminder that many new members get, and is not offence worthy, nor is it worth trotting out the N-word.

BTW, I need the link to the other forum, since it didn't show up... I think we've had the same discussion here with the favorite expression being "Fusilli" or "Pesto". I'm interested in seeing where else it's being discussed.

Oop.. I see Qwerty's already on it. Anyways, welcome aboard.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm

yeah, I just searched and I couldn't find the thread. I'll try the whole forum.

huh... searching the whole forum yeilds nothing either... I searched with the keywords pesto and sneeze.

what do we search for, or can you just give us a link?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Qwerty... must be a different forum. Our thread's in Old Posts and linked above.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:08 pm

oh, sorry, I didn't see the link there... and when searching again, I found it. before I was looking exclusively for polls, not all the threads.

still, there wasn't a reference, and I didn't have a moderation problem with that, I was just confused.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby clubsauce on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:07 am

I think I might start using one of those, bless you bothers me, a bit too religious for me.

I'm pretty sure that gesundheit does mean good health. I wish they offered a German course at my school. One of my friend takes German at his school, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Apparently the word for nipple is 'brustvarter' (probably spelled wrong), which translates directly to 'breast wart'.
clubsauce
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Bringerofpie on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 pm

singidunum wrote:
boghog wrote:Doesn't it just mean "good health"?

"Gesundheit" means health...

And the word has quite an interesting origin: It is believed that the expression stems from the Middle Ages when the Bubonic Plague was threatening European health. In this case the person saying gesundheit was actually wishing good health upon themselves, since they may have been infected by the one who sneezed. During this time it was also commonly believed that sneezing made one's body vulnerable to evil spirits. Thus another plausible explanation is that gesundheit was a blessing to ward off demons while the sneezer's body was defenseless. (from Wiki)

Expression "gesundheit" has been brought into the English language via Ashkenazi Jews who were immigrating in large masses to the United States during the early twentieth century.

Now, why change it, when it has such a nice history? :D

I hate to tell you, but it's Yiddish. It originated in the old country (i'm not sure which one).
"Now watch this drive."
Bringerofpie
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Bringerofpie on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Oh, my bad. I was only half paying attention.
"Now watch this drive."
Bringerofpie
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby whiskeymouse on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:21 pm

I am pretty sure that it is German Yiddish and not Polish. I have been wrong before, but I am almost 100% certain that it is germanic in nature. The rest of the history is what I remember too.

Avast, languages are fun! :pirate_fish:
whiskeymouse
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore