Close to DC? Rally For Equality and Tolerance

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Close to DC? Rally For Equality and Tolerance

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:37 pm

If you are close to northern VA, I URGE you to attempt to come to this rally in Bull Run this saturday! there's going to be much press, and they're hoping for a large crowd to rock the nation! or at least... get good press coverage :D

anyway, here's the actual flyer:

The Commonwealth Coalition, Equality Prince William and
Bull Run Unitarian Universalists Present ...

A Rally in Prince William Against The Marshall/Newman "Marriage" Amendment!

With special guests

Earnie Porta, Mayor, Town of Occoquan

Jeanette Rishell, Candidate, Virginia House of Delegates (50th-Manassas, Manassas Park)

Dr. Bruce Roemmelt

Rev. Nancy McDonald Ladd, Bull Run Unitarian Universalists

Rev. Jeremy McLeod, Wellspring United Church of Christ

Arthur "Rusty" von Keller IV and Elizabeth Munro von Keller, Family Law & Contracts Attorneys and Guardian ad Litem, Manassas

And more speakers TBA

Why: To rally support and join forces between multiple organizations to defeat the insidious, hurtful consitutional amendment on the ballot in Virginia this November. You can read about the amendment and what it does at http://www.votenova.org/resources. THIS IS WINNABLE ~ come and find out how you can help! Information will be available on voter registration efforts as well as resources on how folks can work to defeat this amendment.

Time: 12:00 noon

Date: Saturday, August 5, 2006

Location: Bull Run Unitarian Universalists Sanctuary, 9350 Main Street, Manassas VA 20110

Directions: From I-66, take Route 28 South towards Manassas (Exit 53A). Follow for roughly 7.5 miles into Old Town Manassas. The church will be on your left hand side at the corner of Main and Center. A map is available by clicking here:

http://tinyurl.com/fsaox

Remember why we are fighting - the proposed Constitutional Amendment on the ballot in November:

That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions.

This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.

See you there!
Equality Prince William - http://www.equalityprincewilliam.org
The Commonwealth Coalition - http://www.votenova.org
Bull Run Unitarian Universalists - http://www.bruu.org

all I edited was the map link, it was really long, so I tiny'd it.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:36 pm

We're thinking of meeting beforehand at the Cracker Barrel near the I-66 ramp into Manassas an hour or so before the rally.

Edit: on second thought, Old Town Manassas can be a bear to park in. Maybe we should just go in an hour early and meet at the main entrance of the church, then find a bite close by.

As a fail-safe, maybe we can meet at the NEAREST restaurant to the church. I will be wearing a pink bandana with skull and crossbones on it.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby LinguadiSuocera on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:15 pm

I've checked several restaurants near the church, but the earliest any of them open for business is 11:30; I thought pretty tight for a 12:00 event at the church. I'll keep looking, but meanwhile, a picnic is sounding better and better to me!
Converted by Qwerty!
LinguadiSuocera
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:57 am

I think my mom shall call BRUU tommorow, ask about nearby restaurants, and what time they open. I'll tell her what you said linguadia.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby LinguadiSuocera on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:39 am

Solid plan. I'm always up for a meal; must be part hobbit. :pirate_fish: mmm, fish...
Converted by Qwerty!
LinguadiSuocera
Ziti Zealot

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 pm

If all restaurants fail us, a picnic might be fun.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:41 am

Double post -sorry, I was drunk at the time. (Well, if that excuse works for Mel Gibson maybe it'll work for me!)

Qwerty, can you change this post title to something more like "DC Metro area Pastafarians- Join us Rally for Tolerance" or something like that? I think we need to be more specific.

Also, do you think it would be too forward to bring some FSM fliers? Not to force on people, of course, but to hand to anyone who might want more information about Pastafarians?

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:34 pm

I think having some literature would be fine, just not jumping and screaming and detracting attention from the cause at hand. I'll check with brian though.

and I'll change the name.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Good move.
OMFSM!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:57 pm

haven't heard back from brian, I figure we can bring some literature. I don't think I could put anything together at this point, but if you have anything Bess, that'd be great. in fact, I should work on a fsm forum phamphlet....

anyway, I found a grill that opens at 11, so I say we go there.

its

Fosters Grille
9411 West St, at Center St.

two blocks from BRUU, so we can meet at either the church or the grille. they've got charboiled burgers, vegeburgers, shakes, fries, salads. something for everyone. I'll post this in VA gathering as well.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:27 am

Woop! Glad I checked in here before I left. Let's meet at church ETA 10:45 and walk to grill. I only have a couple of pamphlets, but like you say, it aint about FSM.

If anyone's late they can go straight to the Foster's home of imaginary vegeburgers.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:42 am

damnit my sister made that joke too. WHY? its not even that funny!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:08 pm

Because it's fun.

Speaking of fun, I thought the lunch (singing Jesus Christ Superstar songs off Q's ipod) and the rally (Q's Dad is the greatest laugher) and meeting Lingua (super person!) and getting all fired up about this cause was really a great experience. On the way out that bald guy with the suspenders (one of the speakers) gave me a big hug and kiss, thanked me for showing up and invited me back to the church. He complained that no-one protested the rally, he seemed to be wanting a fight. Funny guy.

I went to a BBQ afterward and showed them the flyers. Everyone, including my very dear and very Catholic friend, said that they would vote No on the amendment, so I might have reached my ten-person goal all ready. :fsm_rock:

Thanks again, Qwerty, for inviting us.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:29 pm

what else could I have done, not invited you?

we also got to talk to the president of equality prince williams, and he and the minister are all for pastafarianism!!!!!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to Locked Posts