Zucchini Bake

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Zucchini Bake

Postby Shooting Star on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Do you have zucchini coming out of your “you know whatâ€￾? Do you have so many that when your neighbors see you coming to offer them more; they close their blinds, turn off their lights and pretend that they are not home? Well, help is on the way. Here is one tasty recipe to use up some of those bad boys.

Zucchini Bake

Mix together in first bowl:
3 cups sliced zucchini
½ cup sliced onion
½ cup oil
Several cloves of garlic, minced

In second bowl mix:
1 cup Bisquick
2 tablespoons parsley
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt/pepper
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Now mix all ingredients together.
In separate bowl beat 4 eggs and fold into other ingredients.
Bake in a greased 13x9 pan for 30-35 minutes @ 350 degrees.
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:16 am

Mmmm! sounds good.

Have you tried it on the barby? In hot weather, I like to cook outdoors, to avoid adding to the heat load inside the house.

You can slice'em up, and skewer'em on wooden sticks (flat) and they'll cook along side the steaks or burgers. About 1/2 in thick works pretty well, thick enough to skewer, not so thick as to not cook through.

Zucchini cooks faster than meat, though, so watch. To keep'em moist, brush lightly with EVOO.

Or, dig that old cast-iron skillet out of the cubbord, clean it up a bit, and set that on one side of the grille. Add a smattering of EVOO to the bottom, toss in a garlic clove or three, and those sliced zucchinis. Toss occasionally. Takes longer this way - more to the tune of cooking chicken or thick fish steaks.

But, it keeps the heat outside, where it belongs ... ! :mrgreen:
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Shooting Star on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 am

Bob….

I grill the zucchini outside also, delicious. Also try grilling eggplant the same way. For a delicious and healthy alternative to dinner, make a grilled veggie panini-style sandwich. Grill the zucchini, eggplant, add onions, roasted red peppers and portabella mushrooms, top with a smoked Gouda and grill the whole sandwich. Oh, and premium EVOO? Dipping sauce of the gods!

Dee Dee….

Your zucchini bread sounds delicious! I’ll have to try it. I especially like your idea of using the cinnamon-sugar in the pan instead of flour, YUM!
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Shooting Star wrote:... portabella mushrooms .... smoked Gouda ....

*drools*

Two of my favorite foods: 'shrooms (especially portabella's) and cheese, with Gouda among my top-favorites, too.

So, when can I come over for a samwich? <heh>

I'll bring a pot of my famous multi-bean stew (see vegetarian thread) as a side dish ... ! :D
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Grilled zucchini, peppers, and mushrooms (plus whatever else you like... eggplant, garlic, onions) are a MUST for lasagna in my books.

Have to put together a lasagna here soon, when I decide to tackle that deer leg in my freezer.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Shooting Star on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:13 pm

Mmm! Vegetarian lasagna, what kind of cheese?
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Um, I guess you missed the second line there... :roll:

Lasagna, like most dishes, is MUCH improved by adding lots of veggies. I can go longer without meat than without veggies, but in my omnivourous opinion, a little meat is important too. :wink:

Haven't decided on the cheese yet, since it's the most expensive part of the whole shebang. Probably stick with the classic mozza for the top, and ricota inside. I'm not a real fan of cottage cheese. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: All this talk of grilled zucchini.... I think I'll grill some to put on the veggie burgers for dinner.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Shooting Star on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Oh! Venison lasagna. Do you do ground venison? Definitely ricotta inside, I'm not a fan of cottage cheese either (not when you can have ricotta!) I usually do a mixture of mozzarella and freshly grated parmesan for the top.
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Got a meat grinder for Holiday, so I grind my own. I got given a big ol' chunk of deer (20 lb?) last week, so I'm going to have to decide ahead of time what to do with it since once it's thawed I'll have to cook the lot of it before refreezing. I figured I could make 2 or 3 lasagnas at once and freeze 'em, and smoke some of the rest.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:20 am

Aye, we used to grind pork fat into our bambi-burger.

Bacon is a very nice additive for actual hamburgers, although a little too expensive to be used in all your grindings.

I might just fatten it up with olive oil for the lazzie, since one generally drains the excess fat when sauteing 'burger for sauces. Grinding the garlic and onion directly in with the meat is a nice touch.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:17 pm

I like to do a short cut with

GASP

canned zucchini and tomatos then add some vegan cheese and chopped cilantro mix it together and put in a baking dish and top with bread crumbs and bake till hot and bubbly

even the 15 year old eats it
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Shooting Star on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 am

Does anyone have any different or unsual recipes for spaghetti squash? Doc Otis, you mentioned that you grew up eating it, would you have any tasty recipes? I usually just bake it then fork out the strings and eat it with marinara, or I'll fork out the strings and then bake in a casserole with garlic, onions, assorted spices, EVOO and parmesan. I'm getting tired though of preparing it the same way and I have a bumper crop this year, thanks!
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:03 am

We usually baked / microwaved it with a little butter, S&P (a pinch of nutmeg is OK, too) and then scraped it out into strands. You can also chop the little ones up into chunks, and the big ones make interesting jack-o-lanterns.

This might be why I don't eat the stuff much these days, although I would if I grew it, I suppose. Sorry for being no help.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Return to Food