What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:25 am

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:Finished white chocolate almond ice cream, blood sugar STILL low, so now having wheat bread. If that doesn't do it, we get the octreotide shot and THEN more food...

Regretting not buying that nasty goop they make diabetics eat. :cry:

A friend of mine (former diabetic - I say former, as the disease eventually claimed her life) always swore by decaffenated Coke. It seems there is more sugar in a can of Coke than in a candy-bar, at least according to her. She always had an "emergency" can or three around her somewhere handy ...
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:05 am

Wow.

Do you have any glucose candy? My friend also carried those around in her purse.

Glucose is 1/2 of the double-sugar that sucrose is (the common "table" sugar). Fructose is different from either of those, I forget (been 20 years since organic chemistry ... :P ) And, glucose is only a step away (chemically) from what your brain actually uses.

Obviously, starches are 2 sucrose's or 4 glucose 'bits'. At least, that is what I remember ... :O

Anyway, either on the internet, or at any local health-food stores, you can get glucose candy drops - usually laced with vitimin C, if desired.

As for the coke thing, I don't like fizzy drinks of ANY sort - the fizzy does not do well with my stomach, too acid.
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby beagle on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:23 am

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:I'm not a big cola fan

Do you have Lucozade in the States (mainly Glucose solution)? think that's reckoned to be twice as effective for diabetics per unit volume as Coke (though don't rely on that without checking...).
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 am

Mmmm.... Pho for dinner (some time ago now).

For those who don't know Pho, it's the primary Vietnamese manifestation of His Noodly Goodness. Cheap to eat at a restaurant, easy to make at home (if you have a little help on the stock for the broth). Tonight was the home version.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby beagle on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:38 am

Sounds sensible. Think the reason we were told about Lucozade was that it's slightly harder to accidentally drown than choke someone on the point of passing out.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Rice rolls for lunch... sheets of rice paper pre-rolled with little bits of green onion and tiny dried shrimps scattered in them.

I pan-fried them, but steamed is good too.

Barbecue tonight, so it's good that I had my pasta for lunch.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 pm

I ate 7 strips of bacon for breakfast quite a while ago, a plain hamburger for lunch. 3/4 of a full container of BBQ pringles, one coke, and one really cold bottle of water.

kinda hungrey, not really.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:18 am

Saturday's dinner was veggie burgers, and since I mentioned them in the zucchini thread, I thought I'd post pics. Grilled zucchini, onion and pepper, fresh tomato, mushrooms and lettuce, a little garlic mayo, dijon mustard, a smidgen of ketchup, some random garlic/"hot" pepper sauce I had kicking about (Nando's Garlic Peri-Peri), and some sriracha for kick. No cheese or bacon* this time. :wink: The burger's sharing the plate with some dilled new potatoes.

Yves Garden Vegetable patties (the cuminy tasting ones with the peas and corn and carrots visible in them) are the shiznit. I can't abide fake meat burgers, but these are just GOOD.

*Yes, I've put bacon on veggie burgers.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Grey on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:49 am

I'm really craving potatoes.

But we haven't got any right now. So I will settle for rip-off weaties and a cup of iced coffee.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby boghog on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 pm

Just had coffee and a piece of the banana bread my wife made for me.

Yeah, I'm spoiled. :-)
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Grey on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:21 pm

An apple fritter and iced chocolate coffee. :mrgreen: How can you go wrong?
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby FireFox on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:23 am

a peg.
not so much eating as using as a chew toy (no gum)

S
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:06 am

Bleah... I can't afford Tetrazinni. Sometimes for a special occasion I'll get it up to a Trizinni.

Dinner (some time ago) was beef & veggie ssam - translation: I ate half a bulb of raw garlic wrapped in lettuce with some other stuff.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby boghog on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:06 am

It's a day (or two) of firsts for me!

I just finished my first-ever almond butter on toast, and last night I had avocado tempura for the first time.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:54 am

Just finished the morning's ration of bread and water.

Breakfast on workdays is a bit of coal for the boiler, and tastes about the same, usually.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Food