Harry Potter

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Harry Potter

Postby Shooting Star on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:19 pm

The other day I "came out of the closet" so to speak and revealed in the "What Are You Weird For" forum that I have read all of the "Harry Potter" books and am anxiously awaiting the release of book seven. Yes, I know, I am a grown women that cannot wait for the saga's finale.

Just in case there is a miniscule possibility that any of you like the Harry Potter saga here is a listing of confirmed information that will be in book 7 (from the mugglenet.com website).

Character Information

We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter
We will find out who R.A.B. is
We will discover more about Dumbledore's past
We will discover where Snape's loyalties lie.
Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, although it will not be that she is a Squib
Viktor Krum will return (World Book Day, 2004 interview)
We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge - "It's too much fun to torture her not to have another little bit more before I finish." (MuggleNet/Leaky Interview)
JKR has said, "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."

Plot Information

Harry will face Voldemort for the final time
Harry will be attempting to find and destroy Voldemort’s remaining Horcruxes
Harry will return to the Dursleys' during the school vacation, but the magical protection Dumbledore arranged will expire on his 17th birthday when he comes of age
Harry will visit Godric's Hollow
There will be a reappearance of the two-way mirror
We will see the wedding of Fleur and Bill Weasley
The fact that Harry "has his mother's eyes" will prove to be an important plot point
At least one character will die

Other

The last word is expected to be "scar," but may change
We will finally learn the full reason why some people become ghosts when they die and others don't
The final chapter, which has already been written, will detail what happens to the characters that survive
There will be no more Quidditch matches
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:34 am

well its really obvious that harry and voldemort are going to die at the end of the seventh. its been blatantly obvious since the fourth or fifth book.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby anon1mat0 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:07 am

The last cryptic comment Mrs Rawlings made was the supposed death of two characters, because "we are dealing with true evil".

I already have some hypothesis regarding Snape and Lily, that seemed quite obvious in book 6.
Nicolás

From Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Shooting Star on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:06 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:well its really obvious that harry and voldemort are going to die at the end of the seventh. its been blatantly obvious since the fourth or fifth book.

I disagree, Voldemort has to die but I think that Harry will be spared.

Anon1mat0 what do you postulate about Lily and Snape?
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:25 am

No, she'll kill off Harry to preserve her control, (pfft...) and because HArry is a flawed hero.

I'm not sure why she thinks that'll preserve control. Future HP fanfics probably wouldn't be published by a reputable publisher, but they'll be out there, even if she kills him. I occasionally peruse the fanfics, and they bring back dead characters all the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the lose ends tied up, and I want to know what the thing coming out of the smoke was at Dumbledore's funeral.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby anon1mat0 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 pm

Shooting Star wrote:Anon1mat0 what do you postulate about Lily and Snape?

The whole thing about Dumbledore being convinced of the good faith of Snape, plus the memories of Snape about Lily when James taunted him, and the comments of Lupin regarding how Lily saw beauty where no one else, and how compasionate she was.

At this point I am convinced that Snape was secretly in love with Lily and was horrorized at her death by Voldemort. Add the fact that Voldemort didn't want to kill her, and that everybody tells Harry that he has his mother's eyes.

In fact I would say that Snape is one of the characters that die.
Nicolás

anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby arkady on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:48 pm

One of my own theories is that Percy Weasley will be a death eater (likes power too much)....

Malfoy may also turn out to be good, given his hesitation at the end of book 6....
"Ankh-Morpork people, said the Guild, were hearty, no-nonsense folk who actually preferred chocolate made mostly from milk, sugar, suet, hooves, lips, miscellaneous squeezings, rat droppings, plaster, flies, tallow, bits of tree, hair lint, spiders and powdered cocoa husks. This meant that according to the food standards of Borogravia and Quirm, Ankh-Morpork chocolate was formally classed as 'cheese', and only escaped, through being the wrong colour, being defined as 'tile grout'."
arkady
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:15 pm

The identity of R.A.B. should be obvious. Let's just say that one of the initials stands for a star and one for a color (though strictly spoken it is not a color) and that he is the lost brother of another character.

Since volume 3 I have the suspicion that Voldemort will die at the hands of Wormtail (there were quite a number of allusions to Lord of the Rings imo, apart from the name [cf. the very similar Wormtongue]).

I read about the two beloved characters that will die: Harry&Ginny or Ron&Hermione would be the prime candidates but I would not exclude Neville.
No idea what Hagrid's fate will be.
Everything looks like a Last Man/Woman Standing scenario to me.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Shooting Star on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:14 pm

Grey wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing all the lose ends tied up, and I want to know what the thing coming out of the smoke was at Dumbledore's funeral.

Grey, I also wonder what that was that emerged from the smoke at the funeral pyre; Harry said it looked like a phoenix. Many are saying that they believe that Dumbledore is alive but I don’t agree. JK Rowling has always said that once someone dies, that is it, there is no coming back, and he was in his portrait slumbering when Harry went back to his office with McGonagall. But there is also evidence that “the draught of deathâ€￾ might have been involved, so I don’t know.

anon1mat0 wrote:At this point I am convinced that Snape was secretly in love with Lily and was horrorized at her death by Voldemort. Add the fact that Voldemort didn't want to kill her, and that everybody tells Harry that he has his mother's eyes.

I agree with your assessment that Snape was in love with Lily and that is what has led me to the side that advocates the “Snape is goodâ€￾ theory. This is also why I think he will be one of the two characters to die.

Swatopluk....

I also think that RAB is Regulas, the brother of Sirius.

Book 7 of the septology is now scheduled to be released 07/07/07.

If we are all still here and posting, we should have a contest to see who came closest in their speculations (the two characters that die, etc.).
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:28 pm

Swatopluk wrote:I read about the two beloved characters that will die: Harry&Ginny or Ron&Hermione would be the prime candidates but I would...

I don't think Ron will croak, to be honest. He's her favorite character, and she had to re-write book five so she wouldn't have to kill him off. Ginny, probably not, since she herself has said she's a lot like Ginny, and while that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I think she's less likely to kill off a character that's like herself.

I think either Harry and Voldey, or Snape and Voldey, or Lucius and Voldey.

And I agree, I think it's that character, too.

Anon, I like that theory. I haven't made up my mind about Snape, but this is an arguement toward the "Snape-is-good" side.

My mother has a theory that the phoenix was a communication tool. Apparently, the Order communicates through their Patronuses, and we don't know what Dumbledore's looks like, so that could be his. Rowling said Dumbledore's patronus would be important in the last book, too.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Shooting Star on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Grey wrote:
Swatopluk wrote:I
My mother has a theory that the phoenix was a communication tool. Apparently, the Order communicates through their Patronuses, and we don't know what Dumbledore's looks like, so that could be his. Rowling said Dumbledore's patronus would be important in the last book, too.

That is really interesting. Do you think Dumbledore is alive? Could he be an animagus?
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:13 pm

I'm not sure. There's arguements for both sides. There's the point that he, you know, fell off a high tower, and looked pretty dead when they got to him.
Buuut...why would Avdra Kedvra have thrown him back like that? No other time has it happened. The gardener just fell over, as did Harry's parents, and so did Cedric. No body else was bodily thrown like that.
The connection to the phoenix is convincing, and there's a few other bits. Go to [url]dumbledoreisnotdead.url[/url] for more.

But what I do think is that Harry has to think Dumbledore is dead. Harry cannot be leaning on someone like Dumbledore during this time. He has to do it on his own, or with the help od his friends, who I think will be big players in th last book, given how important friendship is in this series.

Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby anon1mat0 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:24 pm

I think he is pretty much dead. Perhaps the portrait will be able to clearify a thing or two but the man better be dead (it would lessen the value of the books IMHO).

Also, assuming that Snape is good (the number of clues in book 6!) it makes the choice of killing him far more unpalatable and realistic.
Nicolás

anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Shooting Star on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 pm

I think he is dead also, mainly because JK has always been very adament about that, she has stated that once she kills off someone, there is no coming back. I guess we will see. But Grey is right, Harry needs to do this "alone" so to speak, without the guidance of adults.
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby diego on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:53 am

Book 7 of the septology is now scheduled to be released 07/07/07.

Has that been confirmed by Scolastic and/or Bloomsbury? As I've been hearing that rumer since Book 6 came out.

we don't know what Dumbledore's looks like

I belive Jo said that it was a phoenix.

Yep http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/news_view.cfm?id=80

As for death I think it will be Lord Moldyshorts, and possibly one of the trio
diego
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors