IM conversation with my Christian Cousin.

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby kat on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:23 pm

oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think the Vulgate is ideal, but since so many Christian movements are Paul-centered, these days, AT LEAST the paulist parts should be read in Latin.

If you want to be an adult in Judaism you learn at least a little Hebrew. Ditto Islam and Arabic.

To be an adult Christian?
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:20 am

It’s good to see people who are religious authorities go to the original sources and work to educate themselves. It’s just too bad that more people don’t follow their lead. A religious instructor I had once said he heard a sermon about how the King James Version of the Bible was the Bible Paul used! There have been a handful of movements within Christianity that are anti-intellectual, as there are ones that are intellectual.

Also, with Paul, it has to been taken into consideration that he thought that Jesus was going to come back at any second.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:55 am

NeferKa wrote:A religious instructor I had once said he heard a sermon about how the King James Version of the Bible was the Bible Paul used! There have been a handful of movements within Christianity that are anti-intellectual, as there are ones that are intellectual.

Or just wrongly educated. I remember a lot of the things told to me when I was a kid (and I still hear) that were outright lies. The 1st part of the Gospel of the FSM portrays some of it brilliantly.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Propaganda
:worship: :fsm_yarr:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:28 am

There have been movements in the past where uneducated leaders were valued because it demonstrated that anyone could participate in religion.

I have also heard some outrageous claims from religion that are also flat-out lies, but believed to be true because of the authoritative source from which they originate. For these situations, I think we should start a Sunday School Support Group.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby freebird on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:14 am

I found that convo so interesting. Sounds like she is just saying from memory what's she been taught in Sunday school and since they didn't equip her with much to argue these beliefs with , she fell short in the debate.

Good for you , at least you tried to enlighten one innocent.
freebird
Conchigliette Convert

Postby kat on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:17 am

NeferKa wrote:Also, with Paul, it has to been taken into consideration that he thought that Jesus was going to come back at any second.

Quick! Look busy!
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:13 pm

kat wrote:
NeferKa wrote:Also, with Paul, it has to been taken into consideration that he thought that Jesus was going to come back at any second.

Quick! Look busy!

(I'm at work right now... so I am more worried about my boss catching me than the 2,000 year old dead guy... I won't get in trouble, but the scientists I work with/for will make fun of me for what will feel like eternity!)
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby kat on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:21 pm

(I'm at work right now... so I am more worried about my boss catching me than the 2,000 year old dead guy... I won't get in trouble, but the scientists I work with/for will make fun of me for what will feel like eternity!)

Same situation, lol.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Valkyriehero on Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:31 am

Its sad to see so non-chalantly, you're going to hell. How can you some up the hatred of confirming that someone will be tortured eternally.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :shellfish: :fsm_ninja:
Arrggh, and R'amen to you
~~Valkyrie~~
Valkyriehero
Conchigliette Convert

Postby OZ_Nick on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:17 pm

Say what?

If you want to make a point, two things will help you greatly, correct spelling (including correct choice of homonyms when appropriate) and correct grammer.

Valkyrie, I cannot tell whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with someone. Your post could be interpreted as a fundamentalist rant, but I am not sure, perhaps you mean the exact opposite of that.

Posts that ignore spelling and grammer, especially those that are reduced to or near unintellibility only make the poster look ignorant. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, for now.

Nick
----

Ye may knowe mee better as Cap'n Bluenose
OZ_Nick
Stele Second Mate

Postby Alpaca on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:28 pm

Translation:

It's sad to see so non-chalantly, "You're going to hell." How you can sum up the hatred by claiming that someone will be tortured eternally!

My emoticons portray a love of the FSM.

Rough translation, but it does the job, gets the point accross.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:25 am

I"m an advanced 13 y/o. at least, thats what I've been told...

although I didn't have any confusion over valkyrie's post...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Alpaca on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:30 am

Being a moderator on this forum corrupts you, Qwerty. Saps away your childhood, replaces it with intellect and evilness - evil intellect, in essence. Perfect thing to put on your resume for world ruler (once Dee Dee is promoted to universe ruler and the spot is open, that is).
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:31 am

untill then, tell DD I'm content with Russia.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Alpaca on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 am

How many time zones are there in Soviet Russia, Qwerty?
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM