7 ways not to make Top Ramen

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

7 ways not to make Top Ramen

Postby Entropy on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:35 am

So, Thursday night we had a power outage. I naturally assumed the worst, that it was a national disaster and I needed to make a shelter and get supplies. For supplies, I got a large number of packets of Top Ramen.

Well, it was pitch black and my candle had run out, but I still decided that I needed to eat one of my ramen packets. Here are 7 ways not to prepare your Ramen.

1. Don't do it in the dark.

2. If you don't have enough water and heat to break it up naturally and have to use your hands, keep it in the bag before you crush it.

3. Cold Top Ramen tastes bad. Refrain from making it when possible.

4. Pouring cold water into a bowl when it is very dark is not a good idea.

5. Do not open the flavor packet if you can't see. It might spill all over you.

6. Do not eat the ramen without utensils, it could spill all over you.

7. If you have failed at following the past 6 steps, the last thing you want to do is fail at them in your bed.

Not that I've ever done any of these things. :P
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Alpaca on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:51 pm

In case of impending natural disaster, the first thing I do is wash out the bathtub thoroughly and fill it up. That way, we have many, MANY gallons of filtered, softened water sitting there before the boil water order. The bottled water can wait until the evacuation order.

Then go out and get some ice. Put it in the freezer. When the power finally does go out, let the fridge and freezer act as insulators as long as they can, and when they finally start to heat up, put ice in coolers, consume some of the perishable stuff, put the rest in said coolers.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby KidDirty on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:50 pm

I like to mix in an egg and some cheese!
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Lord_Ravioli on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:25 am

Hmmm tricky. How not to make Top Ramen, eh?

1. Do not use White Phosphorus to 'heat the water.'

2. Making Top Ramen in contact with the enemy really will 'get your noodle.'

3. Packets of Top Ramen do not make a good substitute for full magazines.

4. Blood is not a substitute for water.

5. Using Spooky to provide light might be construed as a bad use of resources by the Senate. Best not to, really.
Lord_Ravioli
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby aquazoo on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:00 pm

I knew someone who used to eat Top Ramen straight out of the bag, crunchy, as a snack. No flavor packets, no nothing!

I like it cooked, with grated Parmasean & Romano cheese gently melting into it.
aquazoo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby NeferKa on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:14 pm

I know this is sacrilege, but I can't eat Ramen. I used to eat it all the time when I was a kid (that’s what we could afford), and I think I hit my limit. I used to eat it with chopsticks, which was a neater way of eating it for me than with a spoon.

As for power outages: When I was 17 our area got hit by a bad storm, and we were without electricity for half of a week. I grilled toaster waffles for lunch one of those days before all of our food spoiled, but I wouldn't recommend it. They were pretty gross, but there wasn't anything else to eat.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Tansy the Terrible on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:55 am

I'm a fan of boiling the Ramen and then frying it in a pan with olive oil and the flavour packet.

A boyfriend from high school tried that once with KD. Don't reccomend it. :twisted:
"Okee dokee doggie daddy!"
Tansy the Terrible
Stele Second Mate

Postby Maruchan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:53 pm

I modify my ramen quite often. I mostly just do simple things, like adding extra seasonings and such to the boiling water/flavoring mixture (I pour in the flavor packet right with the water so it all mixes while boiling). The stuff I've done includes:

Mixed with water & flavoring:
- various varieties of hot sauce/salsa/BBQ sauce (with chicken and beef flavors)
- butter, minced garlic and either ranch dressing or Heluva good brand french onion dip with the Creamy Chicken ramen.
- minced garlic with every ramen flavor I eat.
- soy sauce, A1 teriyaki (and sometimes minced garlic) with Oriental flavor.
- beef cubes or chicken stock with the appropriate beef and chicken flavors.

Ramen without the "ramen juice" (the water/flavor packet combo):
- substituted the ramen juice for pasta sauce w/ beef, mushrooms, garlic & shredded mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese.
- mixed noodles with various cheese-sauce creations.
- served hot noodles with butter, garlic, salt & pepper (I also do this with other types of leftover noodles once the actual pasta sauce runs out). I don't have any olive oil, but I'm sure it would taste good mixing that in as well.
- eaten uncoocked ramen blocks with/without flavor packets & dipped the block in things such as pasta sauce, salsa, cheese-sauce (sometimes with taco sauce & bacos mixed in the cheese), ranch dressing, french onion chip dip, etc...

And depending on what I've got leftover in the fridge I'll also add pieces of leftover beef and chicken with the noodles when cooking appropriate flavors (oriental, chicken, beef, etc) ...I just cut up and microwave the meat before adding it to the otherwise finished bowl of ramen.
Maruchan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby geekier_than_thou on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:58 pm

how not to eat it?

- Do not put hot sauce in beef flavored ramen. Especially Frank's Red Hot.
- Do not mix Chicken and Beef flavors
- Do not add salt to it

One day at school, like, five friends of mine brought in top ramen and ate it without cooking it. They put the flavor packets on them then ate them like giant crackers... O_O
ma_initiave/Jack_4.jpg[/img]
geekier_than_thou
Conchigliette Convert

Postby KidDirty on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:35 am

Maruchan wrote:I modify my ramen quite often. I mostly just do simple things, like adding extra seasonings and such to the boiling water/flavoring mixture (I pour in the flavor packet right with the water so it all mixes while boiling). The stuff I've done includes:

Mixed with water & flavoring:
- various varieties of hot sauce/salsa/BBQ sauce (with chicken and beef flavors)
- butter, minced garlic and either ranch dressing or Heluva good brand french onion dip with the Creamy Chicken ramen.
- minced garlic with every ramen flavor I eat.
- soy sauce, A1 teriyaki (and sometimes minced garlic) with Oriental flavor.
- beef cubes or chicken stock with the appropriate beef and chicken flavors.

Ramen without the "ramen juice" (the water/flavor packet combo):
- substituted the ramen juice for pasta sauce w/ beef, mushrooms, garlic & shredded mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese.
- mixed noodles with various cheese-sauce creations.
- served hot noodles with butter, garlic, salt & pepper (I also do this with other types of leftover noodles once the actual pasta sauce runs out). I don't have any olive oil, but I'm sure it would taste good mixing that in as well.
- eaten uncoocked ramen blocks with/without flavor packets & dipped the block in things such as pasta sauce, salsa, cheese-sauce (sometimes with taco sauce & bacos mixed in the cheese), ranch dressing, french onion chip dip, etc...

And depending on what I've got leftover in the fridge I'll also add pieces of leftover beef and chicken with the noodles when cooking appropriate flavors (oriental, chicken, beef, etc) ...I just cut up and microwave the meat before adding it to the otherwise finished bowl of ramen.

Please tell me that most of these incidents were THC induced.

Your posts touched on the great paradox of taking ramen modification too far:

If you actually have things like beef, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, moxxarella (typo but I kinda dig it now), parmesean etc., you're likely somewhat organized. So this begs the question, Why the hell are you eating ramen.

I really can't eat it anymore.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby DP on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 am

I though I would never eat ramen again and then I tried Nong Shim's - Bowl Noodle Hot or Bowl Noodle Soup. As you can tell the name of the product may have been translated. It is really good, problem is I'm not sure what the "bowl" is made of and wonder it it will ever break down naturally.
DP
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:03 am

Ramen recipies -- fun!

I like to use ramen noodles as a quick snack.

Most folk boil the water/noodles, but it's totally unnesscary.

All you need is very, very hot water and a bit of time.

A coffee-maker will heat the water hot enough.

I like to crunch the noodles in the packet first, as I do not like long noodles slopping over my face when I try to eat it.

ANyway, put dry noodles and flavor packet into a heat-proof bowl. (I once used a cleaned-out clear plastic salad bowl, which melted... disaster!)

Poor hot water over noodles and wait 3-5 minutes for noodles to "cook" and water to cool a bit. Time depends on how hot water was initially, and how well your bowl holds in the heat.

After noodles are softened, stir to mix flavor packet.

Enjoy! No boiling needed!

Variations: extend Mac & Cheese with a box of oriental or shrimp ramen. Fix ramen with VERY minimum hot water to soften. Add flavor packet. Fix Mac & Cheese as per box. Fold both together gently. Delicious! Filling! Quick & easy (and cheap!) :)

Any recipe that calls for rice, you can subsititute ramen noodles - flavored or not. Make as for mac & cheese, with minimal water. Drain (if needed). Serve as you would rice.

Ramen noodles can be used in a caserole, too. Use it instead of other pastas. Try ramen-noodle lasagnia, with fat-free cottege cheese instead of sour cream/roqfurt cheese. Less wheat, very tasty.
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Ramen shrimp and asparagus

Postby Sekhmet on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:02 pm

You're right Bob one doesn't need to cook the Ramen, but just let it soften in hot water works as well.

On the other hand :) Ever cook Ramen noodles in the microwave?

It is quick, a one bowl affair, and hot :) LOL

Here is a topping for Ramen noodles that is my favorite :)

1lb of detailed shrimp, washed and unfrozen.
2 pkgs. of frozen asparagus frozen
2tbls of butter
1/4 cup of water

In large skillet put the butter and water bring to boil. Add asparagus and
shrimp- cover with tight fitting lid. Pull and push pan over high heat for about 5 minutes, remove cover and pour over cooked Ramen noodles. Oriental or shrimp flavored noodles work well :) Rice can be used as well, but over the Ramen noodles it is really good.
Sekhmet the Right Hand and Daughter of the Egyptian God Re. Both a healer and destroyer, i love my daddy:)
Sekhmet
Ziti Zealot

Postby kat on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:31 pm

I can't make it at all.

Allergic to Turmeric.

(However, Saporo Ichiban's non-Chicken Ramen AND Udon are free of it. Ummm Spicy Seafood Ramen.)
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby johngalt on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Here's a good question though. What is the "Oriental' flavor ramen supposed to taste like? Oriental people? (sorry, just had to make the joke)
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Next

Return to Food