The "Duh, Vince Who?" Code Movie

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Swatopluk on Mon May 22, 2006 2:40 pm

The idea of a more intimate relationship between Jesus and Mary M. is much older and can be found in several apokryphae (especially of the gnostic persuasion) from the 2nd century onward. Some of the more funny legends from medieval times involve both the houses of Mary, Mother of Jesus and Mary M. to have changed their location by air first to Greece, later to Italy/France (where did they get their pilot licence :wink: ?).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Amazing Larry on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:16 pm

That Dan Brown guy must be running out of ideas after that book. I can only imagine...

"Dan Brown's new best-seller, the extremely controversial look inside one man's life's work and the secrets entangled within. A chase encompassing the globe, several mysterious murders, and one strung-out Hollywood actor in a combover, discover ... The Mysteries of Dr. Seuss."
Put down that Lil' Jon, pick up Charley Patton.
Start thinking Chicago, stop thinking Manhattan.

...and my name isn't really Amazing Larry.
Amazing Larry
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:12 am

Never read the book myself. From the reviews I heard it seemed too much like an easy read version of Foucault's Pendulum (which is probably why Umberto Eco didn't want to meet Dan Brown)

A friend who did pointed out that given the timeframes, none of the characters would have enough time to get a good night's sleep.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Conspiracies Based On Shopping Lists
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:56 pm

they didn't sleep... it starts at night like, 11 o' clock or something, maybe ten. then it ends at sunset the next day...

not that they couldn't do this, just that in the movie (and in the book I'm pretty sure), they showed no signs of fatige.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:03 pm

And probably no need to go to the toilet (haven't seen it either).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:47 pm

I always find that hilarious about most video games and movies. unless its for the plot, nobody ever goes to the bathroom. of course, most movies and video games have enough not on screen time that you could imagine someone doing mundane things. but you just forget about it when you are doing a movie that follows the character ever so closely.

they also didn't need to eat, apparently...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Shooting Star on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:02 pm

They didn't eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, all they did was run for 12 (24?) hours. I don't know if Tom Hanks should have been cast as Langdon. He is definitely not how I pictured the character as I read the book. And what was with his hair? "Angels and Demons" was a much better book and the main character was again Robert Langdon. I wouldn't mind seeing that made into a movie, but I don't know if Hanks should play the part again.
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:31 pm

as my mother said, Hanks is a hero, Langdon is not.

I think it was more than 24 hours... something like that... but yeah, Hanks wasn't the best for that role.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Grey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:33 pm

They never seem to bathe, either. Must get pretty smelly, running for twelve hours, not eating, and never stopping for a bathroom break.

I read both "Angles & Demons" and "The Di Vinci Code." I loved A&D, but the Code wasn't all that good.
My favorite priest at my mother's church actually talked about this for a moment before he pronounced us free.
And I thought it was unnecessary. Honestly, anybody who is old enough to discern fantasy from reality should know that it was written to be a form of entertainment, not some silly revelation. It seems to me that a number oif Christians are over re-acting to a medicore book.
It wouldn't surprise me if Jesus was married, possibly to Mary M., but why on Earth would she go to Gaul? Why not someplace else?

And Tom Hanks most certianly should not have been cast as Langdon. He doesn't fit the part! I personally had pictured Langdon as more of an Old-Boy's network type.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:02 pm

who would've played him well, depp?

at first I was going to say that was just for DD and not serious, but he actually might be good...

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Grey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:29 pm

Ugh. No, he's not better, for thius role, though he's an amazing pirate.

Sean Connery, if he were younger, would be good. I don't there's any actor current mainstage that would make a good Langdon.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:43 pm

ever seen the X-men movies? now go watch an interview of hugh jackman.

he's quite australian. accents and appearance don't matter, all thats really important now is talent and gender (but not REALLY :wink: )

last post

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Shooting Star on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:04 pm

Grey wrote:They never seem to bathe, either. Must get pretty smelly, running for twelve hours, not eating, and never stopping for a bathroom break.

I read both "Angles & Demons" and "The Di Vinci Code." I loved A&D, but the Code wasn't all that good.
My favorite priest at my mother's church actually talked about this for a moment before he pronounced us free.
And I thought it was unnecessary. Honestly, anybody who is old enough to discern fantasy from reality should know that it was written to be a form of entertainment, not some silly revelation. It seems to me that a number oif Christians are over re-acting to a medicore book.
It wouldn't surprise me if Jesus was married, possibly to Mary M., but why on Earth would she go to Gaul? Why not someplace else?

And Tom Hanks most certianly should not have been cast as Langdon. He doesn't fit the part! I personally had pictured Langdon as more of an Old-Boy's network type.

I agree; it was just a work of fiction! People need to get a grip. I think that older people have more of a problem with the book. I remember when the book was first published; I had a copy of it with me when I went to visit my mom. She was really upset with me. She is a very sweet person, just a bit old-fashioned, so I had to reassure her several times that I did not take the book literally, that I was just enjoying it as a work of fiction.

I agree that Johnny Depp wouldn’t make a very good Langdon; he’s too much like a rogue pirate. <grin>. Sean Connery is smoother than smooth and quite the elegant gentleman, but he is just a little long in the tooth for the part. Now Hugh Jackman does sound perfect for the part, just the right age.

When I read both of the books, I pictured someone like Patrick Dempsey as Langdon. My friend thought that Ben Affleck would have made a good Langdon, what do you think? Too young?
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:07 pm

Ugh. Yes, too young, and not a good choice, IMHO.

Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:18 pm

if anyone is too much like Affleck, it should be called and Afflecktion. (affliction, get it? :D )

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors