Bodhipastas

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Bodhipastas

Postby NeferKa on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:31 am

Are there any other Pastafarians out there who have decided to put off the beer volcano and stripper factory to be reincarnated in the hopes of spreading the word of FSM and annoying school boards in the future? I know this is an element stolen from Buddhism, so I think these people should be called bodhipastas. (I searched through the forum to see if this discussion has already occurred, but I couldn’t find anything.)

Now, perhaps the bodhipastas don’t have to swear of the afterlife until everyone one else has reached it, but instead they can visit between lives, but plan on returning to earth to ensure that science remains a science. I am hoping to hear other people’s thoughts and ideas on the topic.

NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby boghog on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:57 am

Could work.

I don't see the FSM as the sort of deity who would force people to stay in Heaven if they had somewhere more important to be.

BTW - that's not a ground beef Buddha, is it? That would be... odd. :)
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm sure the FSM wouldn't mind if you wanted to be re-incarnated. heck. less souls for him to make.

but I don't think making them, Bodhipastas makes much sense. sure, Budhism has re-incarnation, but its not exclusive.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Alpaca on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:48 pm

What a nice thought, that not everybody is as self-centered and cynical as I am.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby NeferKa on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:18 am

The illustration was an afterthought… ground beef Buddha? Hmm… That is like how I always used to misread “Hunan Beefâ€￾ as “Human Beef.â€￾

As long as this is sanctioned, I would like to be a bodhipasta. (Before this, I’ve always said that I was the reincarnation of someone who thought she was the reincarnation of Cleopatra VII. Now I have purpose!)

I thought some altruistic reincarnation would be good for some of us, and it will be interesting for future generations! (This will ensure the religion keeps going as well.) Anyway, I am sure that reincarnation is applicable to some of us in the first place, and now we have some new terminology!
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:55 pm

not ripping off al religions. wasn't that a problem in the fall?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby NeferKa on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:44 pm

My intent wasn’t to just rip off other religions, but I thought the term was clever. Yes, I parodied the terminology, but I am not insisting that we have to parallel the concept. I understand the difficulty there has been with people wanting to make Pastafarianism a reflection of whatever religion they are, and I don’t want to do that. We have way too many creative people here to limit them to making a mirror of what’s already in existence. Furthermore, I would think this aspect of afterlife/rebirth would be totally voluntary; no one has to be reborn if they don’t want to do that. I believe that is in tune with the current afterlife system. I personally think it is fun to shake things up on Earth, and I would like to have another go at it after my turn is over, hence the bodhipasta.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Alright. it's just that when I hear re-incarnation, I don't immidiately think buddism or hinduism.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby KidDirty on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:21 am

NeferKa wrote:My intent wasn’t to just rip off other religions, but I thought the term was clever. Yes, I parodied the terminology, but I am not insisting that we have to parallel the concept. I understand the difficulty there has been with people wanting to make Pastafarianism a reflection of whatever religion they are, and I don’t want to do that. We have way too many creative people here to limit them to making a mirror of what’s already in existence. Furthermore, I would think this aspect of afterlife/rebirth would be totally voluntary; no one has to be reborn if they don’t want to do that. I believe that is in tune with the current afterlife system. I personally think it is fun to shake things up on Earth, and I would like to have another go at it after my turn is over, hence the bodhipasta.

I think its puntastick!

My toadfish name over in the HOT monastery is TOADYSATVA
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby boghog on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:38 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Alright. it's just that when I hear re-incarnation, I don't immidiately think buddism or hinduism.

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:Now i'm curious. What do you think of? The Eastern religions introduced the concept to the Western (Christian dominated) way of thought centuries ago.

What does it bring to your mind?

Adding more meat to the chili?
:D

(I know, I know... bad joke. I couldn't resist)
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:52 pm

umm.. re-incarnation. I just think of the idea seperate from any other religions beliefs. not that it is one in it's self, but its an element I think of as seperate, although I don't deny that it is part of other religions.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Al Dante on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:07 pm

I can see Qwerty's point here. Eastern religions introduced the concept to the west (and a lot longer ago, with much more influence on the development of "western" religion, than most people realize), but today the concept is pervasive and not always directly or visibly tied to those eastern sources.

- New Age beliefs in "remembering one's past lives" takes reincarnation completely for granted. That there is little connection with real eastern beliefs is demonstrated by how many New Agers claim to have been Cleopatra in a past life -- which by the Dharmic traditions I'm familiar with, would imply that they'd lived very poorly since then. Having been a slave or a rat 40 past-lives ago would do them more credit.

- Speaking of rats, there appears to be a reincarnation-believing subculture among furries, as one possible explanation of the nature and origin of their animal identities.

- Native American and Inuit traditions include reincarnation, which must therefore have either developed independently or had a common origin with Asian traditions well before recorded history.

- 19th-century spiritism adopted reincarnation with little else of the eastern traditions. From there it seems to have become a standard element in the pop-culture envelope of "magic" in general. Thus, for instance, in TV series in which "magic is real," reincarnation tends to come in by default among other things that are assumed to be "also real if magic is real," such as astrology, psychic powers, love potions, vampires, and familiars.

- karmicAL
Al Dante
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:17 pm

pretty much. I just don't immidiately associsate reincarnation with hindusim.

My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Cleopatra... creepy!

Postby NeferKa on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:31 pm

When I hear of reincarnation, I typically think of Hinduism or Buddhism. I know there are others that believe in rebirth as well; the Wiccans I know acknowledge it. I know there are people who like it and say they were such-and-such famous person, but there isn't a religious tie to it. When people get hypnotized to discover their past lives, they typically can't answer questions such as does the money look like. That is why I said earlier that I believe that I am the reincarnation of someone who thought she was Cleopatra VII reincarnated.

What I don't like is the idea that people are born at an advantage or disadvantage due to past life behavior. Regardless of if that is true or not, it is used as a tool of oppression.

So, when I die, I want someone to be on the lookout for me when I come back, to spread the Noodly word! Maybe there can be a big party or something. Either that, or maybe it will be cliché for people to say they were me in a past life like they say they were Cleopatra... creepy!
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 pm

what if someone later in the century turns out to be the incarnation of Mrs. Cleo?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore