Lost & Peter Pan

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby beagle on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Perhaps if you fall asleep at your desk and dream about it then it will turn up. Or something will.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:14 pm

This actually happens regularly. I am not looking for a moment for an item I am looking for for ages and it shows up (and I get the info late from elsewhere)
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Capellini on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:46 pm

I'm with you Bart.

If for no other reason, I'm thrilled there's someone else here who might be as obsessed with this show as I am.

Except the Lost Boys didn't kidnap kids, they took in kids who were already lost.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

LOST

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:32 am

They are already LOST though, as in lost on the island.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Capellini on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:34 pm

But the analogy is still faulty. The Lost Boys were a refuge for lost boys. The Others are terrorizers of Lost Boys.

If you're going to be a real tv show over-analyzer/geek, you have to do this systematically.

The Players for Peter Pan are:

Captain Hook and his pirates
TigerLily and her Indians
The Lost Boys
Peter Pan
Tinkerbell
Wendy
John
Michael

Now, I would say that the Others are the pirates, Rousseau is Tiger Lily, and the crash victims are the Lost Boys.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a strictly structured comparison, the characters can alternate. For example, I think if we're going to call the hatch the crocodile, then Locke was certainly its Hook. And as far as the cheesy love triangle goes, Kate is more the Peter Pan to Sawyer and Jack's Wendy and Tinkerbell (or Tinkerbell and Wendy). But you still can't deny the fact that, with the plan for 'war', the crashees attacking the Others is much like the Lost Boys attacking the pirates.

However, now both sides have boats.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Griffin on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:38 pm

Yes, and you cannot really consider it without a profound understanding of the relationship between Peter Pan and the not quite offstage characters - parents and dog are actually highly significant. I say offstage as while I have read the book a thousand times, I also always went to see the play every year throughout my childhood, and still do occasionally.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Pan

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 am

Griffin wrote:

I also always went to see the play every year throughout my childhood, and still do occasionally.

You are beginning to worry me now - I thought 'I' was the one with a Peter Pan fixation!

Not as worrying as this fellar though:

http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Pan

Postby Griffin on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:14 pm

black bart wrote:Griffin wrote:

I also always went to see the play every year throughout my childhood, and still do occasionally.

You are beginning to worry me now - I thought 'I' was the one with a Peter Pan fixation!

Not as worrying as this fellar though:

http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan

I believe his take on it is slightly different to mine.

I am even considering it for my Diploma book critique -

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/jmbarrie.htm wrote:Barrie himself was considered by Freudians a suitable target for analysis. Peter Pan has also been seen as an Oedipal tale.

Or consider this on the 1998 production at The National
http://www.albemarle-london.com/peterpan97.html wrote:As the Narrator, Michael Bryant is not the spellbinder Alec McCowen was, and it is harder in the Mrs Darling of Susannah Fellows to spot the one untaken kiss and the inner Wendy than it was with Jenny Agutter.

or indeed this from The National's 1997 production
http://www.albemarle-london.com/peterpan97.html wrote:The infantilism of the Darling household is, as Peter might say, an awfully big problem, somewhat lessened by Rebecca Johnson's Wendy, who, from the first, shows more spirit than the usual run of fantasy mamas, and quickly reveals a longing for Peter to crash-land into puberty. The just audible voice of a bolshie Tinker Bell adds a further corrective to sloppy woman-worship.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby mepper on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:55 pm

heh cap..one time i downloaded a hatch timer program..and pressed the button every 108 minutes for 3 days till i was just too exhausted..no way desmond did that for years alone
mepper
With the FSM

Hook

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:37 am

That sounds a bit technical for Peter Pan I must admit...and I can't remember what happens to the crocodile - doesn't he get to eat the rest of Captain Hook and who will be captain Hook in Lost?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Hook

Postby Capellini on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:01 am

black bart wrote:That sounds a bit technical for Peter Pan I must admit...and I can't remember what happens to the crocodile - doesn't he get to eat the rest of Captain Hook and who will be captain Hook in Lost?

I think Locke was Hook if you're referring to the hatch as the crocodile.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Calena on Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Shockingly this is the closest to a Lost-Thread I could find, so I use this thread to tell you the story of how I found Lost. :)
When Lost first came on on German TV I thought it was just another Mystery Show and as I don`t like them I never watched it. But people in "my" forum started talking about how much they liked it. The TV station decided to start a rerun of the first season right after the season finale and I decided to give it a try. Right from the start I was hooked. But .. I can`t think why ... the rerun was canceled, cause too few people watched it. I was really pissed until a friend of mine gave me the whole first season, in English. And wow- enlightenment! So many different english accents I had never heard before! Most of all I love Sawyer`s accent. I read about the sexy Southern drawl but never knew what it actually was. Now I know and I´m addiccted! Josh Holloway should record an audio book, I would love to listen to it, no matter what, it could even be the bible....
I really really hope they don`t kill Sawyer off till the very end of the show.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Pan

Postby black bart on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:52 am

Can you see the similarities with 'Peter Pan' though?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Calena on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:00 am

Not really. :cry:
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Drat

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 am

Drat it! It must be my Pirate fixation!
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors