The great Sp-gh-tti Squash debate

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

The great Sp-gh-tti Squash debate

Postby kat on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Settle a debate fer me, oh enlightened ones:

Kat's (in her hat) view: Sp-gh-tti Squash is gross.

Thing one: Spaghetti Squash is the mark of FSM upon otherwise normal squash, a mark which persists generations after.

Thing two: Spaghetti Squash is a sacrement and must be eaten, preferably with marinara and clams.

Goldfish: you are all deluded by SATIN!!!!
(apparently, the faux silk fabric has some magic qualities)

View of the Moss Covered Credenza: Eat Spaghetti squash as you will. Spaghetti is the law, spaghetti inside squash.

View of the missing parents: Spaghetti Squash does not belong on the ceiling.

Oh, help, please, people. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with the sp-gh-tti squash I bought at the store now....and the credenza is talking. Does it go on the ceiling? The trash? In me? Is is sacred, blasphemous or neither?

AND WHAT ARE the magic properties of satin?
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Alpaca on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:11 am

That's why, if you wanna have peanut butter, but think that eating it off the knife or out of the jar is undignified, you spread it on a rice cake.

Though in my house, the dog usually gets the peanut butter.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Dr.Atkins_forbids_pasta on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 am

And the difference between rice cakes and polystyrene ceiling tiles is that one is round and the other tastes better...
Dr.Atkins_forbids_pasta
Ziti Zealot

Postby daniel on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:58 am

Hey, Spaghetti Squash is one of my all-time favorite vegetables!! I used to grow it in my garden, when I had a garden. ("Land-locked Sindbad, with his feet firmly rooted in the quack-grass-roofed and rusting poop deck of the north 40," - to quote the poet, Thomas McGrath.)

Auntie Dee Dee has stated elsewhere that the FSM is not really spaghetti, but merely looks like spaghetti, in which case eating spaghetti squash is a perfectly acceptable way to revere His Noodliness. And it's great with beer, too, though personally I must restrict myself to non-alcoholic beer, as alcohol has an adverse effect on me.

Spaghetti squash has a milder flavor than other kinds of squash, making it ideal for kids who don't like reqular squash, and it's fun, because it looks like noodles, and it's great with marinera sauce.

I consider it a great and tragic oversight that when Bobby was detailing how the FSM touched all the continents with His Noodly Appendage, he failed to mention spaghetti squash in connection with the Americas (squash being an important and nutritious New World crop worshipped by the pre-Columbian inhabitants of this hemisphere.)

An easy way to prepare it is to cut it in half lengthwise with a sharp cutlass (be careful not to cut your fingers off: the squash is very hard) then scoop out the seeds and accompanying ikky stuff, and boil the squash for an hour, or until a fork slides easily into the noodles. Remove it carefully from the pot (it's hot!) and scoop out the noodles, and serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce.

Optionally, you can separate the seeds from the ikky stuff and bake them until they're crisp on a baking sheet in a low oven, with or without a bit of oil and salt.

Yum!

EDIT: As noted in my next post, cooking time may be as little as 20 minutes.
Daniel

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
-- Emma Goldman
daniel
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:23 am

...and serve immediately on a satin tablecloth.

We moved into our little rural town from the big city on Halloween night. Someone sprayed "Satin lives!" all over the local graveyard. It was rather comforting for us to think that the interior decorators out here were at least as adamant as the ones back in the metropolis.

I believe that spaghetti squash is sacred because it is made in His image. RAmen!
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby kat on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:24 am

Spaghetti squash has a milder flavor than other kinds of squash, making it ideal for kids who don't like reqular squash, and it's fun, because it looks like noodles, and it's great with marinera sauce.

You know, I tried it tossed with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon (and a little rum) and found I do like it THAT WAY. (Which is the way I like Hubbard Squash, Golden nugget, Acorn squash and pumpkin...all other winter squashes are yucky.)

I just don't like it with tomatoes.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby boghog on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 am

kat wrote:You know, I tried it tossed with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon (and a little rum) and found I do like it THAT WAY.

Funny, that's how I like my karaoke, too (though with more of the rum and less of the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon).
:D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby daniel on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Important correction: I was thinking of artichoke when I said cook it for an hour. Depending on how dry it is, it can take as little as 20 minutes to cook.
Daniel

-- Emma Goldman
daniel

Postby Griffin on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm

daniel wrote:I consider it a great and tragic oversight that when Bobby was detailing how the FSM touched all the continents with His Noodly Appendage, he failed to mention spaghetti squash in connection with the Americas (squash being an important and nutritious New World crop worshipped by the pre-Columbian inhabitants of this hemisphere.)

Perhaps it was not an oversight. I've never heard of it and I am quite food literate. Maybe His Noodliness in inifinite wisdom advised Bobby that touching all the continents with his Noodly Appendage was done in a manner that took care not to make anyone feel excluded. Given how much we import I expect it is to be found somewhere here but equality of access to holy food replica items is important. :mrgreen:
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby KC Observer on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:52 pm

Kat said:

You know, I tried it tossed with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon (and a little rum) and found I do like it THAT WAY. (Which is the way I like Hubbard Squash, Golden nugget, Acorn squash and pumpkin...all other winter squashes are yucky.)

I think you may be on to something there. Except that I'd but the butter and brown sugar into a larger quantity of rum and consume the rum and throw away the squash. :fsm_yarr:
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby daniel on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Griffin wrote:
daniel wrote:I consider it a great and tragic oversight that when Bobby was detailing how the FSM touched all the continents with His Noodly Appendage, he failed to mention spaghetti squash in connection with the Americas (squash being an important and nutritious New World crop worshipped by the pre-Columbian inhabitants of this hemisphere.)

Perhaps it was not an oversight. I've never heard of it and I am quite food literate. Maybe His Noodliness in inifinite wisdom advised Bobby that touching all the continents with his Noodly Appendage was done in a manner that took care not to make anyone feel excluded. Given how much we import I expect it is to be found somewhere here but equality of access to holy food replica items is important. :mrgreen:

I think it more likely that Bobby (who is human, after all) had never heard of spaghetti squash, or failed to connect it with the Americas. In the context of enlightening readers regarding how His Noodly Appendages have touched all continents, general ignorance of a regional food outside its region would be all the more reason to include it.

On the other hand, he might have left it out on purpose in order to leave something for us humble devotees to discover.
Daniel

-- Emma Goldman
daniel

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:She's working on a way to freeze it so that she can have the Sacred Dish all year round.

Huh, grew up on the stuff (liked it much better than zucchinni or the yellow sqarshes in the garden) and as I recall it keeps pretty well through the winter in a *cool* basement. Which might be an issue there. It's available year-round in stores here, though I imagine the quality suffers.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Alpaca on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:26 pm

Same in Florida. And with rapidly rising sea levels... y'know.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:18 am

Hrm... saline groundwater? Wot's all this about water resource issues if not? What's the soil types like?

I'd shudder to live within a mile of a gas station down there... the LNAPL plumes must raise merry hell. Y'all use aboveground storage tanks?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:34 am

With that scheme you'd just have to check for water infiltrating into the liner... if it's waterproof it'll keep anything from moving far out. Might still have a nasty pit, but that can be dig n' dumped. I suppose landfills are even more fun to deal with.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Next

Return to All Things FSM