Tim Powers

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Tim Powers

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed May 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Anyone else read Tim Powers? I had bought cheap or was given 'Expiration Date' years ago, but lent it out to a friend and never got it back, and couldn't remember the authour or title. Last weekend I was browsing the library for Pratchett and ran into it again. I'm rereading it and then will be tackling as much of his other stuff as I can.

He even has a zombie Pirates of the Caribbean book called On Stranger Tides, but it's rather old and my library doesn't carry it. Anyone read this book?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Finrod on Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Vaguely remember reading On Stranger Tides. Wanna say it was in the 70s, same time I read Night Boat about a zombie iunfested u-boat.
Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Finrod on Wed May 24, 2006 2:23 pm

OK thought about it. It was 1986 and a buddy had the book. We were at Hohenfels training center and we handed the book around. He was ticked because he left it on the train when we returned to garrison. I remember it was about pirates and a good fast read.
Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Nada on Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 am

I've read and enjoyed 'Last Call' and 'Expiration Date'.
Nada
Ziti Zealot

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Mon May 29, 2006 5:35 pm

I started reading Tim Powers as result of a name-mixup, but continued anyway.

I have never been completely disapointed by one of his books, but some are better than others, natch.

I've read The Anubis Gates , which was pretty good, and Dinner at Deviant's Palace which I don't remember at all, and The Stress of Her Regard which was okay. There were a couple of others, but Amazon does not list them and I can't recall their names. Something about time travel, I think ... I remember that I liked it at the time, though.

Edit: upon farther research, apparently it was The Stress ... that I liked very well - but did not involve time travel
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors