David Lynch

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: David Lynch

Postby FireFox on Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 am

singidunum wrote:- Mullholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune... (listed chronologically as I watched them through time).

will have to comment on this (and much as I hate this style of post):
David Lynch's Dune film<Dune the miniseries<Dune book

I hear the directors cut was actuall rather good, but wieghing in at some huge number of hours it got cut to shreds.

Frank Herbet wrote a rather good comment on his take on the film, it can be found in Eye.

S
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby FireFox on Fri May 12, 2006 5:57 pm

singidunum wrote:I've seen the Director's cut. Three and a half hours, rather long, but I actually quite enjoyed it. The problem was that the "normal" version lacked a few part of the movie that explained a lot, so people mostly didn't like it.

The whole Dune movie was underrated, especially because most of the people expected another version of Star Wars I guess...

ohh, where did you find the directors cut? I may have to find it and do a reviewing of it.

when I say it I was expecting something a bit like the book, but I did not get it.

Steve
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri May 12, 2006 6:21 pm

I love the uniqueness of David Lynch films. I saw Eraserhead first, many times, just loved it.

Loved Blue Velvet, loved Elephant Man, hated Dune. The last one I saw was Lost Highway, which I really loved because I despise L.A. and because I couldn't figure it out. I love a puzzle.

Did you see any of the Twin Peaks television series? Weird-o-rama and such a weekly treat for us Lynch fans. I had a group of friends that got together every week to marvel at it's sheer madness. It also helped to have friends around because it was so creepy! i think there was a movie based on the TV series called Fire walk With me.

A good friend of mine had a video made from a musical concert he made with singer Julee Cruise. Very haunting.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Joy of Pasta on Fri May 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Oh, yeah, they could bake a cherry pie on Twin Peaks. :wink:

"Would you like some more pie?"

"damn fine coffee, and hot"

"black as midnight on a moonless night"

The X Files might not have made it if Twin Peaks hadn't been there first on the small screen.

I"m seriously considering changing my nick to Anti-Mayberry. (er, way inside joke) :mrgreen:
In 15 minutes, FSM will be more famous.
Joy of Pasta
Ziti Zealot

Postby DaveL on Fri May 12, 2006 10:41 pm

Twin Peaks!

Hey don't forget the Midget. An obvious sign from The Great Noodly One!
Personally I loved 'The Log Lady'...
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Fri May 12, 2006 11:50 pm

singidunum wrote:
But I rather enjoyed it, maybe it's because I haven't read the book

Dune is a must. Great book. Starts a little slow, IMO, but picks up quickly.

I don't have a lot to say about the rest of the Dune books, though. Dune Messiah was blah, Children of Dune was OK, God Emperor of Dune was yuck...at which point I gave up on them.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby The Black Spot on Wed May 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Poincare's Stepchild wrote:Dune is a must. Great book. Starts a little slow, IMO, but picks up quickly.

I don't have a lot to say about the rest of the Dune books, though. Dune Messiah was blah, Children of Dune was OK, God Emperor of Dune was yuck...at which point I gave up on them.

Got to agree. Same as Niven's Ringworld series. First couple were fun, but then... Ugh.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Sun Flowers

Postby black bart on Mon May 22, 2006 10:26 am

I liked the deadly sunflowers on Ring World.

Has anyone read 'A Fire Upon Deep' by Verner Vinge?

I forgot to mention David Lynch - sorry David!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zillax0rz on Tue May 23, 2006 11:11 pm

I recently took an Intro to Film course and Lost Highway was the last film we watched for the semester and without a doubt, it was the most f'ed up movie I had ever seen. The teacher didn't even bother explaining it (we watched it for its use of music and sound) and said to Google the hundreds of theories.

Boobs are always good, though.
Zillax0rz
Ziti Zealot

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed May 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Honestly, I never could figure any of them out and would tend to agree with singi. Trying to explain them is like trying to describe a dream- they're just all over the place! I am a visually-oriented person and Lynch's use of tableaux and other design elements on his sets always thrills me. I remember a scene in Twin Peaks where there were three guys all dressed alike and posed the same way in the background of a bar scene for no apparent reason, almost just to see if you'd notice.

Oh, DaveL, I loved the midget! He was in the Julee Cruise video, too, as the narrator. The whole thing was about broken hearts and hearing it come from the small guy seemed to illustrate how small a broken-hearted person feels. I guess that's kind of trite, but Lynch seems to like that sort of corny emotional thing played with a bizarre twist. One of Lynch's pieces from the video, "I'm Hurt Bad", is played on the juke box in the first Twin Peaks episode.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Blackspot_Isaiah on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:04 pm

I was a huge fan of Twin peaks but I guess it was just too- well, wierd- for mainstream televsion audiences. I would have loved to see what would have happened if the series had been given a third season. Too bad we will never know.
"Most people just take themselves too damn seriously, which is why they act like damn fools."
- Robert Anton Wilson
Blackspot_Isaiah
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby mia primavera on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:50 pm

I love Twin Peaks--I saw it when it first came out, and I dressed like the Log Lady for Halloween one year. Haven't re-watched it in ages, though.

Eraserhead I didn't like as much, although it does certainly have some memorable images. (Pulsating chicken, anyone?) I love Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive, Blue Velvet, and Wild at Heart. I've never seen Dune, but I'm gonna go see it tomorrow--it's playing at a revival theatre near me.

I agree with what folks have said here--David Lynch films are often as cryptic and mysterious as dreams, and as with many dreams, impossible to interpret. With Lynch's films, I just like to sit back, and enjoy the ride.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain
mia primavera
Ziti Zealot

Postby SeaTizzy on Sat May 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I LOVE David Lynch, I wish INLAND EMPIRE was coming to DVD sooner (I missed it when it was showing in a theater near me :cry: ).. Blue Velvet is in my top ten favorite films of all time, and The Elephant Man almost made me cry.. I haven't seen Dune, Twin Peaks, and Eraserhead yet though.. Oh and Mulholland Dr. is one of the best movies of this decade.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" --- Dr. Strangelove
SeaTizzy
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors