The "Duh, Vince Who?" Code Movie

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Griffin on Sat May 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Brilliant programme on TV tonight - The Da Vinci Detective. Knocks spots off the Brown stuff. http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsi ... detective/
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat May 20, 2006 7:32 pm

well, I'm seeing the movie tommorow, and I'll tell you what I think of it.

but really. this Da Vinci Code hysteria is really uncalled for. ITS. FREAKIN. FICTION.

these people think fiction is fact and fact is fiction. whats the world coming to?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby teripie on Sat May 20, 2006 7:53 pm

The critics here have also pretty much slammed it as a bore. Seeing as it's primarily a mystery why would anyone want to see it if they already know all the twists?
When I read it, it simply was not the kind of book that you "cast in your head" for a movie. You know, "Gosh, this is so good I hope they make a movie out of it!"
Not even close........
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat May 20, 2006 8:10 pm

whats unsettling is it was most likely written to be a movie. someone thought Angels and Demons was good, but not popular enough. so they had him write a sequal, and advertised it much better, then started the movie up.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby KidDirty on Sun May 21, 2006 12:21 am

I saw it, and as a lover of the book I can honestly say..... The movie sucked.

Really any movie adaptation that wasn't more than 4 hours long would have sucked.

There's just too much back-story to shove it into a movie.

Those of us who had read the book knew what was going on, but others didn't.

I spent an hour afterwards trying to explain everything that went on to my girlfriend.
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Swatopluk on Sun May 21, 2006 3:05 pm

I read in the papers this morning that Umberto Eco was invited to Vinci (where Leonardo came from) to have a public discussion with Dan Brown.
He flatly refused and said, despite him wanting to go to Vinci sometime, he would postpone it in order not to meet Brown there. He also made some unflattering remarks about the Brown stuff.

Concerning Jesus being married.
I consider it probable (though Mary Magdalene was not the prime suspect).
All the apostles were married but how do we know? From just two verses.
1. "The mother-in-law of Simon(=Peter) lay down sick" (I'd have to look up the prcise wording), 2. Paul complaining that he is not allowed to take his wife on his missionary trips despite all other apostles doing it especially Peter. That's all there is, it was taken for granted therefore not mentioned. The RCC denies until today that Jesus had siblings despite them being mentioned explicitly and unmistakably several times in the Bible.
Personally I deem it completely irrelevant to the "message" of Christianity. If faith falls with such details, one should question its original value.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Tickle on Sun May 21, 2006 5:28 pm

I was permanently put off seeing the movie when I saw a clip containing the words "Quick! To the library!" :roll:
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby alexrose on Sun May 21, 2006 6:45 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:whats unsettling is it was most likely written to be a movie.

I think that's just bad writing.

Swatopluk, could you please tell me which verses those were or their rough whereabouts? I've had enough people try to convince of the Da Vinci Code's infallibility to make it worthwhile to point out that it's no big deal.
alexrose
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby anon1mat0 on Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 am

Swatopluk wrote:I read in the papers this morning that Umberto Eco was invited to Vinci (where Leonardo came from) to have a public discussion with Dan Brown.
He flatly refused and said, despite him wanting to go to Vinci sometime, he would postpone it in order not to meet Brown there. He also made some unflattering remarks about the Brown stuff.

Dan Brown is a paramecium compared to Umberto Eco.

Ahh... I guess is time to re-read the Pendulum once again.

Edit: for those who read the book, who married in the Wedding in Canaan? :wink:
Nicolás

From Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PirateKingOfTheGoldCoast on Mon May 22, 2006 2:04 pm

You think the out cry on this one is bad try reading his first book with that Character, "Angels and Demons" great book. Really deals with the church alot more.

The thing with Jesus and Mary being married came from a small town in France. Apparently some very old writing where found there, that where brought there by the Knights Templar after the Crusades. These writing stated they where married and had a child. The whole idea was that the search for the Holy Grail was not the search for his cup, but rather the bloodline of Christ. I have a book that is about this concept, can't remember the title some Tomb. When I get home I'll post the book.
Fergus: The Pirate King of the Gold Coast

Everyone makes sacrifices, mine just happen to be to the Dark Lord of the Underworld.
-Random T-Shirt
PirateKingOfTheGoldCoast
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Swatopluk on Mon May 22, 2006 2:40 pm

The idea of a more intimate relationship between Jesus and Mary M. is much older and can be found in several apokryphae (especially of the gnostic persuasion) from the 2nd century onward. Some of the more funny legends from medieval times involve both the houses of Mary, Mother of Jesus and Mary M. to have changed their location by air first to Greece, later to Italy/France (where did they get their pilot licence :wink: ?).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Amazing Larry on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:16 pm

That Dan Brown guy must be running out of ideas after that book. I can only imagine...

"Dan Brown's new best-seller, the extremely controversial look inside one man's life's work and the secrets entangled within. A chase encompassing the globe, several mysterious murders, and one strung-out Hollywood actor in a combover, discover ... The Mysteries of Dr. Seuss."
Put down that Lil' Jon, pick up Charley Patton.
Start thinking Chicago, stop thinking Manhattan.

...and my name isn't really Amazing Larry.
Amazing Larry
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:12 am

Never read the book myself. From the reviews I heard it seemed too much like an easy read version of Foucault's Pendulum (which is probably why Umberto Eco didn't want to meet Dan Brown)

A friend who did pointed out that given the timeframes, none of the characters would have enough time to get a good night's sleep.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Conspiracies Based On Shopping Lists
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:56 pm

they didn't sleep... it starts at night like, 11 o' clock or something, maybe ten. then it ends at sunset the next day...

not that they couldn't do this, just that in the movie (and in the book I'm pretty sure), they showed no signs of fatige.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:03 pm

And probably no need to go to the toilet (haven't seen it either).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors