The "Duh, Vince Who?" Code Movie

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The "Duh, Vince Who?" Code Movie

Postby teripie on Wed May 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Everyone has simply got to be aware of the pending release of the movie based on "The Da Vinci Code." And everyone has got to be aware of the "controversy" surrounding it. The week's "US News & World Report" featured the movie and surrounding controversy as it's cover story. The story begins with this:
(My under line.)
For the Rev. John Skirtich, the revelatory moment came on a Sunday morning late last fall. He had just concluded mass at St. Maurice Roman Catholic Church in Forest Hills, a tree-lined, middle-class suburb of Pittsburgh. One of his parishioners, an elderly woman, met him at the door, carrying a copy of The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown's phenomenally successful cloak-and-dagger novel, and she was visibly distraught.

"Father John," she said. "It says in here that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and had a child together. Is that true?" The priest was startled by the question, coming from a lifelong Catholic and a pillar of the parish.

Can ya see why I emphasized certain words? Are people really this dumb? Can a novel or movie really affect a life of belief?

A mediocre book has become a blockbuster because people are so gullible. What century is this?

source: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/artic ... avinci.htm
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed May 17, 2006 9:24 pm

my family thinks the book was written with the intent of it becoming a movie later.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby teripie on Wed May 17, 2006 9:31 pm

I read the book, but only because it was out in paperback, I had nothing to read at home, and Sam's had it for 4 bucks. It's an okay book, and just barely that. It's a "who done it" kinda thing and who wants to see a movie of that nature when you know "who done it"?

I just don't get the big deal. And the main premise ain't even original. People act like it's some kind of freakin' revelation.
Are these the same people who feared if their kids read harry Potter their kids would fly away on broom sticks?
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Griffin on Wed May 17, 2006 9:34 pm

You bet Qwerty.

Yes people are that gullible.

When there's a wedding or a new baby in a TV or radio soap, people send gifts. Masses and masses of people.

And yes, it's all over here too. Endlessly. But there was one good programme which pointed out all the holes in the story. Though why that should be needed is a moot point.

We have a Cabinet Minister who is a member of Opus Dei. I doubt that would have ever been reported if it weren't for that book.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby alexrose on Wed May 17, 2006 10:11 pm

It was a good read I thought...Breakthrough, no.
Don't people think it's just a little suspicious that it's done in the same cheap printing as Harlequin?

I hear the movie was horrible. In one preview, the audience laughed at the climax.
alexrose
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby KidDirty on Thu May 18, 2006 1:46 am

Not you guys too!

C'mon, one word........... Fiction,

Regardless of what the book says about the history of the church, people should know better than to take their history from a narrative work of action thriller fiction.

I thought the story itself, was damn exciting.

Hell Michael Chrighton put "based on a true story" on the cover of "Eaters of the Dead". Do you guys believe that Skandanavians were fighting with Neaderthall cannibals around 900 AD?

At least the book/movie will get people interested in and thinking about the history of their religion.

Theres so many "debunk the Da Vinci Code" books and programs popping up that DaVinciphobia will become a uniting force, and another symbol of Christian persecution.
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby teripie on Thu May 18, 2006 11:40 am

KidDirty wrote:Not you guys too!

No, not us guys. The discussion is on the gullibility of the public in general, who do believe all this clap trap. Too me it's as if they read a ripping James Bond novel and then started losing sleep over Dr. No taking over the world.
I can see to some degree why the Catholic Church is flipping out a little. The book does paint Opus Dei in a pretty harsh light. But the swallowing whole of the Jesus/Magdalene thing is what astonishes me. I know the church hasn't fallen for it, but a lot of their stupid followers have.

In my initial post here I quoted an elderly woman, a life long church member, who read the book and all of a sudden questions her faith. What's up with that??? Talk about "ye of little faith."!
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby aquazoo on Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm

teripie wrote: But the swallowing whole of the Jesus/Magdalene thing is what astonishes me. I know the church hasn't fallen for it, but a lot of their stupid followers have.

"Swallowing" ?
"Stupid"?

The idea of Mary Magdalene and Jesus being a couple was not invented by Dan Brown. It's been speculated and written about before, based on things that are in the Bible and Jewish tradition at the time.

One of the best researcher/authors (in my opinion) is Margaret Starbrid. Yes, that is her real name, she is Catholic, not new-age.

As with the trials of famous people these days, no matter what the "official" verdict, individuals have their own opinion about it.

There is penty of evidence to raise the question, and nothing to absolutely prove it one way or another. There is nothing stupid about believing either that Jesus was celibate or not.
aquazoo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby teripie on Thu May 18, 2006 8:03 pm

The "swallowing" and "stupid" does not refer to people of faith becase of their faith, but to any people who read one silly novel and then proceed to run around screaming "The sky is falling!" Be it the Da Vinci Code or Harry Potter, I find anyone who gets all in an uproar over a work of fiction just plain stupid. In others words, "sheeple."

I think some people revel in their ignorance. Someone please tell me what the big freakin' panic is all about???
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Alpaca on Thu May 18, 2006 8:14 pm

The book's pulp fiction. Decent pulp, and I enjoyed reading it for cheap adrenaline and a vaguely agreeable line of belief, but beyond that...
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby teripie on Thu May 18, 2006 8:25 pm

It is of a quality that it should have never been distributed in hard bound. Should have gone straight to paper back. I guess when brown started going on talk shows spouting that it was all based on truth it shot up in stature.

In the recent past and currently, he has shut up and no longer does interviews.

My favorite flaw was the description of the French gals little car and the stated "fact" of gas mileage. Can't remember the exact stated figures given in the book, as it was given in kilometers and liters, but worked out in gallons it was 500 miles to the gallon! Wow! I want one of those!
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Alpaca on Thu May 18, 2006 8:31 pm

When I read that stuff, I don't pay attention to facts and accuracy. It's fiction, so I just don't care.

Same when I read his book Digital Fortress, I was entertained in the same way, and if I had paid attention to the computer-esque fact-esque tidbits, I would have vomited aborted puppy fetuses from the sheer ludicrousness of them.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Taris on Fri May 19, 2006 5:45 pm

New to the forum, so first off, hello.

Second off, in a few short hours, i'll go see the movie. As i'm sure many of you have heard, some religious groups intend to pass out flyers and the like before and after the movie. Why shouldn't we? :) I'll try to take some pictures and tell you if i run out of flyers or not!
This signature is not very exciting!!
Taris
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri May 19, 2006 5:51 pm

if you're pressed for time to go to the movie, I can understand. but you really should post in the new convert thread.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby beagle on Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm

The impression from the reviews here is that the movie is such a boring mess they need any controversy they can get to market it. Be interested to see if that's what viewers here say.
beagle
Brewmeister

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors