Comments? Reviews?

Caution! Spoilers abound! If you have not read the book, enter at your own peril.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby DaveL on Sun May 07, 2006 8:09 am

Ok here's my take on the book.

In general, I found Bobby's book very funny, and had to muffle my laughter while travelling on public transport. I feel there is an over use of profanities, which while funny, wern't entirely necessary.

The last part of the book part of the book was a bit disappointing. Was it really necessary to include works by others in the main body? Why not appendicise them?

I was disappointed the works of this forum were not used or referred to. There is a massive body of work that could have been drawn upon. He could have totally nailed it but didn't.

Overall though, I found it a very good read. Well done Bobby!
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun May 07, 2006 10:28 am

bobby dosen't really know what goes on here, so he probably didn't think there was anything worthwhile here. although I'm pretty sure DD would've told him about the Loose Canon... I think its fair enough to say, we have the worst messiah of the millenium.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun May 07, 2006 2:11 pm

oop. sorry.

I think its fair enough to say, we have the worst messiah/prophet of the millenium.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby teripie on Mon May 08, 2006 6:04 pm

To quote South Park:
"Oh my God! They've killed Dee Dee!"
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri May 12, 2006 6:01 pm

I've never tried to contact Bobby Henderson, because of posts saying how shy and overburdened he is with posts. Do you think it would be inane to write in just to say hi and thank you?
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby kathic on Sun May 14, 2006 4:41 pm

I liked the book and I had my brother read it.
kathic
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Just found my first in-the-paper(back) copy of the Book.

:cry:

Not what I had expected, and my expectations weren't all that high.
HOWEVER (based on a quick browse)... Bobby has kindly left the door open for Hyper Spaghetti Monsterist studies to further illustrate the Noodly nature of the Universe. :D

Now I have to find the lil' booker at a used book shop (or heavily discounted), for reference purposes. $21 my a$$.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Pastamancer on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 am

It is sad that is was a dud in the marketplace...

But I enjoyed it, though I do agree with DaveL that the last part of it wasn't quite up to the rest of the book.

But other than that I loved it, and in fact, plan to go reread portions of it in a few minutes.

Now if only it was a small red hardback with a noodle-like bookmark...
Pastamancer
Conchigliette Convert

Not a dud at all...

Postby Chris Schluep on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:21 pm

The book has done pretty well. And we're still getting publicity calls for the book. It's considered a success. :D

I, too, wish that it had been a large hardback with a noodle-like bookmark. But it wouldn't have been $13.95 if we'd done that. :fsm:
Chris Schluep
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Chris Schluep on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Yeah... I don't think Texas is exactly an FSM hotbed. Maybe around Austin. I'd love you to do some publicity, Dee Dee. I just did some more radio yesterday (Bloomington, Illinois, I think). And Talk Like A Pirate Day is coming up. We'll probably have some more stuff to do around then. It is an FSM-recognized holiday, after all.

I am stunned by the amount of work you do for this site. :worship:

While we all know the one true Spaghedeity, that doesn't keep you from being god-like in our eyes.
Chris Schluep
Conchigliette Convert

Postby beagle on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:36 am

Very favourable review of the book in the Sunday Telegraph "Seven" magazine section here today. Can't post a link as only seems to be in the paper version.
beagle
Brewmeister

More Pages

Postby PastaServer134 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:36 pm

I think we should add another three or four hundred pages to the Gospel that each say,

"These three or four hundred pages have been added to make this volume more impressive whilst resting on thine coffee table."
Pastafarianism: Faith you can twirl on a fork.
May the caloric content of your Pasta not exceed the nutritional value to your filet of soul.
PastaServer134
Ziti Zealot

Postby rkzenrage on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Having been raised on the buckle of the Bible-belt (was asked to change my major during seminary prep). I think there is much more of an audience for this, and the book in the SE than any of you suspect. Lot of we disenfranchised here, even of those still faithful but unhappy with the "Church". Could be a lot of closets with cutlasses out there, or could be soon... just sayin'...
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died.
Hakuin answered, "How am I supposed to know?"
"How do you know? You're a Zen master?" exclaimed the samurai.
"Yes, but not a dead one," Hakuin answered.
Zen Mondo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM
rkzenrage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:45 pm

I must say, the Gospel makes me ashamed to be a Pastafarian. It breaks the first, second, and possibly third "I'd Really Rather You Didnt's" on a regular basis.

After reading the open letter and browsing the forum, I became an instant convert. I loved the fact that FSM was about tolerance and keeping ID out of the science classroom. I expected science, humor, and reason to be the mainstays of the Gospel and eagerly awaited the arrival of this wonderous book.

What I found was profanity, vulgarity, biting satire, and abuse. In my opinion, the Gospel will mainly appeal to those who already share our views on ID, and not even all of those. I find that the idea of converting people has lost much of its appeal.

However, I take to heart the introductory post of this thread. I remain a Pastafarian, whatever exception I may take to its Gospel.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Clifford on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I must say, the Gospel makes me ashamed to be a Pastafarian. It breaks the first, second, and possibly third "I'd Really Rather You Didnt's" on a regular basis.

After reading the open letter and browsing the forum, I became an instant convert. I loved the fact that FSM was about tolerance and keeping ID out of the science classroom. I expected science, humor, and reason to be the mainstays of the Gospel and eagerly awaited the arrival of this wonderous book.

What I found was profanity, vulgarity, biting satire, and abuse. In my opinion, the Gospel will mainly appeal to those who already share our views on ID, and not even all of those. I find that the idea of converting people has lost much of its appeal.

However, I take to heart the introductory post of this thread. I remain a Pastafarian, whatever exception I may take to its Gospel.

I totally agree. I've just finished the "mincing" of Evolution and despite it's comic properties it still turns a bit harsh on the sarcasm, and by the sounds of what you say it seems it's going to get a bit worse. It turns my attention to the amount of hate mail we get and I'm not surprised really. Despite this vulgarity I'm still Pastafarian and still follow the cause, but suggest that a more subtle version of the book be released - preferably on a short parody of the Bible, but not as to completely 'satiriclise' the oppositions beliefs. We're trying to gain followers here, not make enemies ...
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Previous

Return to Gospel of FSM Book Discussion