Big Love

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Big Love

Postby Rex-Imperator on Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Does anyone besides me watch the HBO show Big Love? For those of you "lost in the sauce" I'll give you a synop.

A Polygamist Mormon family in Utah are trying to live in the modern world with their "unique" family lifestyle (the main character in the show has THREE wives) while retaining their sense of family.

Just a note, this family are Fundamentalist Mormons and not mainstream Latter-day Saint Mormon who have rejected Polygamy since the late 19th Century.
Rex-Imperator
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby teripie on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:22 pm

Having just now stumbled across this thread, I apologize for my late response. Yes, I watch the show and have become hooked on it. This is due mainly because of the dislike I have for almost all the characters. I tune in each week hoping to see someone "get it" in one way or another.

I'm curious as to what your take on the show is Rex. To be honest with you it has not endeared the Mormon faith to me. But I never was a very big fan after I read some of the book and did a little research on some of the beliefs. Don't take this as a put down on Mormonism. I pretty much despise all organized religions. As for Mormonism, the people I've had direct contact with have only earned my utmost respect, beating out most people who follow their paths in strict manners.

I had Mormon neighbors in New Mexico when we were there. They were the nicest folks I think I can safely say I've ever met. At one time I flirted with converting because of them. (That's when I did a little research and came to a screeching halt.) I really admire the "be prepared" thing that goes on at the family level in LDS.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Rex-Imperator on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:34 pm

My take on the show is simply this, it's a good show but just like you it doesn't endear me to the Mormon faith nor should it since it's just a TV show.

Most of the few Mormons I've met were nice people (closed minded, but nice). But what I don't understand is how anyone could of bought into it's bullshit about how the Native Americans were once white and jewish.
Rex-Imperator
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby teripie on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:59 pm

What opened my eyes was when I was told that black people were not people. They did not go to heaven, or whatever the Mormons call as they had no souls. Egad! Since then I've heard that this idea has changed.
At the time of my interest in the religion, what really had attracted me was the idea that your husband/wife was your soul mate and after death there was a happily-ever-after-together-for-eternity thing. Good thing I didn't buy into that or I'd have been stuck with a scum bag cheating asshole forever! (I was one of those naive last-to-know wives.)
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Tansy the Terrible on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:54 pm

Oooo Teripie, I'm squirming in my seat at the idea of eternity with my ex husband. Then again with his fear of spiders I *could* have alot of fun... <cackle>
I've not met any Mormons personally, but I remember watching a documentary on them a few years back; about polygamy. What was interesting was that the husband was not the 'head' of the household. The wives (3) oversaw the children's lives, the cooking menu, what was happening on what day, and even meted out who he was sleeping with each night.
All three women stated that they didn't think they could handle a monogomous relationship. "Who would I have for support?" "Men don't understand women, who sould I have to talk to about personal things?" and "One woman in the household to do everything? You gotta be nuts." Were some of the comments.
By the end of the show I was thinking "Hmm... never thought of it that way." But I just 'don't play well with others' so that situation is a no go for me. :wink:
Does make you think though.
"Okee dokee doggie daddy!"
Tansy the Terrible
Stele Second Mate

Postby yodaman23 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 am

I bet they don't feature anything about Magic Underware on that show. I've known a couple of Mormon familes in my time and I must agree that they we some of the nicest people you can meet, until they warm up to you and let slip some of the most racist remarks that can come out of a person.
Let you be touched by his noodly appendage.
RAmen
yodaman23
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby teripie on Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:19 pm

I've been waiting for mention of the magic underwear on the show. So far no mention, but in one scene a character is shown wearing it. That's some very unsexy drawers!
Wonder what Victoria's Secret could do with it?
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby verbtea on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:31 pm

I beg to differ; the magical undergarments WERE mentioned, when Barb told Bill somebody was looking at her dress at the party for the "outline of the garments."

I think the show's brilliant.
Think of the pastabilities...
verbtea
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby NeferKa on Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 pm

What is magic underwear?
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors