Penguins.

Caution! Spoilers abound! If you have not read the book, enter at your own peril.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Penguins.

Postby The Japanese Geek on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Well, that was a great book. But I do have one gripe: Why must we insult the penguins? I think that penguins are great. Must I now hate them?

Also, should I take this to be a strike against Linux?
The Japanese Geek
Conchigliette Convert

Postby KingLackLuster on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:31 pm

take it as you deem fit.
No Soup for You!

Haha... I'm Back.
:shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish:
dance my minions
KingLackLuster
Agnolini Admiral

Postby KingLackLuster on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:34 pm

remember, she wont hit the :shellfish:
No Soup for You!

Haha... I'm Back.
:shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish:
dance my minions
KingLackLuster
Agnolini Admiral

Re: Penguins.

Postby Duke on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:23 am

The Japanese Geek wrote:Well, that was a great book. But I do have one gripe: Why must we insult the penguins? I think that penguins are great. Must I now hate them?

Also, should I take this to be a strike against Linux?

Oh, you know, you don't have to take the Gospel literally, it's like the Bible. You following me? :wink:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby The Japanese Geek on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:32 am

Ah, I see. I have a habit of taking things literally.

*keeps a wary eye on aforementioned smiting stick*
The Japanese Geek
Conchigliette Convert

Postby KingLackLuster on Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:25 am

it is true. they dont even have a chance to do the smite dance :shellfish:
No Soup for You!

Haha... I'm Back.
dance my minions
KingLackLuster
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Duke on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Don't quote me on this, but something makes me want to say Linux is free.......

I don't know, I don't really care. I have a Mac. :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby beagle on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:35 am

What would your mom use it for? If only for particular applications that are definitely on Linux then you could probably set it up for her and she'd only need to patch it once in a while (not as often as Microsoft stuff).

If she expects to buy hardware, games/accounting etc etc software in the local store and use it easily, or swap stuff with other users on Windows/Mac then I'd go for Windows/Mac.

The advantages of Linux IMHO, are stable, rarely needs patching, does more in less memory, hardly any viruses. Disadvantages are lack of consistency across applications, lack of built in help and documentation, sometimes takes a while for new hardware to be supported, harder for beginners to do "simple" stuff, less "how to" books available, may be harder to connect to your broadband supplier.

Of the commercial Linuxes I like SuSE best. Wouldn't recommend free ones for a non-techy user (assuming she is) because of the hassle of downloading all the right packages; can be a very tedious iterative business. SuSE is a nicely packaged collection of good stuff with a relatively simple install process on standard hardware.

Personally I'd still put anyone non-techy on Windows or Mac (that should be enough to start a platform war :mrgreen: ).
beagle
Brewmeister

Gnostics?

Postby Norwester on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:41 am

Being firmly in the Penguinista camp, I believe that someday a few Gnostic chapters will come to light providing evidence that the penguins are actually blessed and finally informing the world of the truth about St. Linus and St. Larry. I think they'll also neatly cover the controversy over the Stripper Factory. After all, He, in his Wisdom, never said "Female Stripper Factory" and "Stripper" can apply equally to either sex or even to those in-between. "Samey-samey," said He in his Wisdom.

Think about it--simple inductive reasoning proves that He is Good ("Only a Good FSM would create a heaven containing a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory. Thus, we know the FSM is Good."). A being that Good would never punish the penguins in perpetuity, nor would He leave we females (and gay males) out in the cold when it comes to our promised strippers. The straight guys don't have to watch them and the rest of us will refrain from making snide remarks about the female strippers and the penguins will enjoy both. Truly paradise, indeed.

Norwester, who loves Suse a whole lot.
Norwester
Ziti Zealot

Penguins are indeed cool

Postby t3h.Dr0w on Fri May 05, 2006 12:47 am

penguins are cool, but that does not exclude their being evil. sometimes evil is cool too. Tux, however, is most definitley not evil.

this is because open-source...ness is the root of all things that are good, rightous, beautiful, and smell vaguely of canadian mushroom forests. They also have beer in canadia. I know this, because i saw a guy who knew a canadian once.

anyway, back to penguins. The penguin is my school mascot. the UHS penguins. Is that not awesome or what?

I use both windows and Mac. I hate windows, but use it for gaming reasons (there are NO good games for Macs, despite the fact that they are better computers that handle graphics better and are much more efficient, not to mention having a unix-based OS and KDEesque icons.)

although I do not have a hard drive with linux, i do use live cd versions (these being Knoppix and Slax).

also, just an observation, but it seems funny that the only thing that was objected to (WARNING: genralization ahead) by anybody was the part about penguins.
t3h.Dr0w
Conchigliette Convert

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distingu****ng feature

Postby Scruffy05 on Fri May 05, 2006 1:08 am

um, yeah, Beer in Canada (always to be capitalized) is like... well what would it be like to Americans... or right.. air! :D
- Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.
Scruffy05
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: Penguins are indeed cool

Postby Duke on Fri May 05, 2006 2:08 am

t3h.Dr0w wrote:Tux, however, is most definitley not evil.

As is Opus.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Re: Penguins.

Postby latsot on Sat May 27, 2006 5:27 am

The Japanese Geek wrote:Well, that was a great book. But I do have one gripe: Why must we insult the penguins? I think that penguins are great. Must I now hate them?

Penguins are overrated at best.

Stupid can't-fly-cold-place-dwelling-pseudo-birds.

Although I admit that my loathing of penguins is entirely irrational, I make no apologies. Penguins are just shit. I don't know why everyone seems to like them. The association of penguins with Linux is just unfortunate.
latsot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Alpaca on Sat May 27, 2006 9:27 am

Penguins are all mafiosos, anyway.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby mfoot0 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 am

Penguins rule not as much as the FSM though lol :worship: :fsm_float:
:shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
mfoot0
Conchigliette Convert

Next