V for Vendetta

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Duke on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:49 pm

As far as politics are concerned, it definitely didn't over-do it. And that's perfect.

I really liked the fireworks and Tchaikovsky. :D Two of my favorite things.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:48 pm

I just saw it. V is really full of himself/egomaniac earlier on. I'll do some musing, then start writing the parody. V for Venganza!

I'll totally have one part.

Newscaster: "and there is more chaos in the Former United States. Scientists have concluded that it is most likely due to the fact that they're all complete fucking reatards."

V: "Customers shouldn't be afraid of their Chefs. Chefs should be afraid of their Customers."
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby SpisBoy on Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:49 pm

V for Venganza! That's ingenious. We could blow up the ID think tank ir whatever... :D
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Arrrgh!" -Piraticus 13:7

http://home.earthlink.net/~meximiliano/
SpisBoy
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Alpaca on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:26 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Newscaster: "and there is more chaos in the Former United States. Scientists have concluded that it is most likely due to the fact that they're all complete fucking reatards."

You ccannot comprehend how much that made me laugh.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:38 pm

now say it in a british accent. :D.

and I wouldn't have it be the ID thinktank. it'd be britian, under fascist rule, except instead of being fundie christians, they'd be anti-carbohydratists or something. make it about the food, not the holy war.

actually... I don't think it'll be a facist goverment.. maybe just some kind of chef-dictator ruling the restaruant system or something... I'm not sure what to do for this, but once I get that down, I can get all the other things done.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Swatopluk on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:18 pm

Saw it last week. Not bad at all.
I haven't read the graphic novel, so I can't say what was in the original and what was added for the film.
Some parallels to the USA of today seemed a bit too in-your-face for my taste (e.g. that Rush Limbaugh equivalent including the drugs).

What I found interesting is that the dictator (John Hurt) is bodily present in only one scene of the whole film. In all others he is on a screen or a "background illustration" for some explanation about the past. In that one scene we see him both "officially" on the TV and "real" in front of us.
I'd guess that is a deliberate allusion to Orwell's 1984 and Big Brother.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Graphic

Postby black bart on Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 am

I have read V for Vendetta and Watchmen since reading the posts on this section. They are both brilliant but I prefered Watchmen - it is dazzling. I think Alan Moore is right to hate the movies made from his work. It is important that you read the Graphic Novels because they are an experience of imagination and creativity that can't be reproduced in film.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Capellini on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Venganza is Spanish for vendetta. Not much of a spoof.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Venganza is spanish for Revenge.

even if it does translate litterally like that, the venganza is only a reference to the website.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors