I LIKE FOOD....

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby E.Raser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:Uhmm is right. The only Italian I speak is culinary Italian, so I understood most of that post. :wink:

:worship: :fsm_float:

and "dal mago del brodetto" a Porto REcanati è una esperienza celestiale.ci andava anche a mangiare Beniamino Gigli, il famoso tenore
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:01 pm

well I really don't belong here. i'm much too much of a picky eater. although I might broaden my horizons soon, what with the relgion being based on food...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ChowMein on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:32 am

Hello Doc!,
I've just noticed your post about eating raw deer at the kill site,I would not reccommend it for the parasites .Definitely not pork or bear!!!
Fish for sashimi and sushi are "flash" frozen , a process that kills parasites.
Having tartare right at the kill site is risky, if you must for the sake of ritual and don't wish to offend, the liver is a safer bet. :worship:
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:57 am

It was more culinary curiosity than ritual; I haven't tried it myself. Good point on the flash freezing (about the only way to get seafood in the Canadian interior), although in Asia it's not always common because the fish are so fresh.

I've been told to never eat freshwater fish sashimi.

Qwerty, you don't need to rush it, but start with trying things you don't think you'd like, but have never tried. Eating things you know you don't like can take a while... for me it's fresh tomatoes and prepared (yellow) mustard, which I'm starting to eat after YEARS of hating them.

Your tastebuds change as you age, I think, especially concerning vegetables.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby darren996 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Yo can get tapeworms from under or uncooked freshwater fish.

Saltwater fish can have worms but it is rare. A good Sushi Chef can find them. Remember that when you each cheap sushi! Munch, munch, munch. :mrgreen:
Suspicion breeds confidence!
darren996
The Pan

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:10 pm

I just had my first artichoke heart. I as aprehensious because it was so spiky... ah well.

I don't really like fried fish, but I'll eat it if I'm forced to. like brocolli.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ChowMein on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:58 am

Hi Qwerty,

I always loved Brocolli , stirfried with beef (lets say garlic and ginger is a given in Oriental cooking ) and onions with oyster sauce or tomatoes.

I used to prefer the brocolli well cooked until soft , at the moment I prefer a good crunch ( even more so with it's oriental cousin " gai lan" ).

Now i can eat most vegetables raw and LIKE it, ( took a human generation to do it though and so far broccolli was the toughest).

BTW Qwerty, Is my typing getting any better? I think you should know that i'm new to computers and never learned to type ( i'm doing the one finger on each hand thing). You'll have to suffer with me for a while i'm afraid.

Doc While I'm here...How does one prepare the coating of
arracinni's (rice balls)? Is it simply formed and deepfried without any coating of any sort?
Is it rolled in a batter then cooked?
I've only seen it deepfried .Can it be baked?

What temp.? For how long? Thanks Doc.

Darren For lives of everyone,thanks for including that fact! Many people don't realize tapeworms can be a death sentence.
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:53 am

oh god, search and destroy typing??? you are new... I dunno. it's better, and not annoying to read, but it still feels like you're getting used to typing. probably because you are.

it may sound childish, but using something like mavis bacon teaches typing, or (I like this program better: ) Jump start typing really help. because they teach you the hand position and where the keys are in relation, without having to look at the keyboard.

don't worry. you're doing fine. its kind of the opposite of the spectrum. theres people who make odd mistakes (the whole puncutation thing) and want to change, and the people who can't spell and don't care

Some n00bs have seriously wrote:omg dood tis not teh spleeing of teh wrods but teh cnotexnt of teh mtearil.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ChowMein on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:19 am

I've just discovered the key ingredient for an excellent beef stew !!!

BLADE ROAST!! Yes dear f(r)iends , abandon the prepackaged stewing beef , I , for one will not go back since I am an admitted connoisseur. The market i shop at prices it an extra $1 per kg. But be assured leftovers wont last long!!

Ramen.
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby ChowMein on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:24 am

Dear DD,

Yup! I've never cooked a blade roast before . At the time of discovery I just noticed the roast on sale and cheaper than the stewing beef .

Of all the cuts I've tried in preparing a beef stew , the blade cut is by far ( to this taster ) the best than anything else I've used . :worship:
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:42 pm

ChowMein wrote: Doc While I'm here...How does one prepare the coating of
arracinni's (rice balls)? Is it simply formed and deepfried without any coating of any sort?
Is it rolled in a batter then cooked?
I've only seen it deepfried .Can it be baked?

What temp.? For how long? Thanks Doc.

Italian recipe? You might have to go to E.Raser for this one, as I've never heard of them.

On the whole stew meat thing, ditto on the cheap roasts for ground beef (just tried out my new meat grinder, and it ROCKS!). From deer butchering, nothing's really big enough to get gourmet with, so you take muscle groups apart at the membranes, then the biggest ones are for roasts or slicing into steaks, the mid-size stuff is for stew, and the miscellaneous bits go for burger. I rarely buy beef in anything smaller than a roast, especially since the T&T started carrying cheap whole tenderloins ($9/lb or less).
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ChowMein on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi DD , I am after the Italian style , the one I'm familiar with contains peas , ground beef and mozzarella cheese inside , thanks .
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

super-taster

Postby NeferKa on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:58 am

I’m with Qwerty; I’m a very picky eater. I think I’m a super-taster, which means that I think a lot of food just tastes gross. However, when I find foods I like I eat a lot of them.

Here’s a weird little story about me: my favourite food is spaghetti, and I love orange soda. What’s strange about it is that while my mother was pregnant with me, she said that’s about all that she ate and drank.

What’s nice is that my husband’s a super-taster too, so we hardly have any food in our home that I won’t eat. (He eats pigs sometimes, and I’m not a big fan.)
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ChowMein on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:41 am

Thanks DD , Now I'm hungry .
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Re: super-taster

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:44 pm

NeferKa wrote:I’m with Qwerty; I’m a very picky eater. I think I’m a super-taster, which means that I think a lot of food just tastes gross. However, when I find foods I like I eat a lot of them.

Here’s a weird little story about me: my favourite food is spaghetti, and I love orange soda. What’s strange about it is that while my mother was pregnant with me, she said that’s about all that she ate and drank.

What’s nice is that my husband’s a super-taster too, so we hardly have any food in our home that I won’t eat. (He eats pigs sometimes, and I’m not a big fan.)

that sounds about right. I really dislike most foods. but I'm up for subs/pizza/pasta/popcorn/baked cheese items any time.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Food