:( So... Today.. :(

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby EarthRise on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 am

As much as I'd like to defend Brian and advocate religious freedom, young Americans really don't have any rights. Those are handed out at age 18.

Brian will need the backing of his mother before he gets anywhere.

And Pastafarianism is a joke religion. Period.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Trilom on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:20 am

No they didn't. He's a foolish Highschooler who was disrupting class. The kid, if I understood correctly, is an Atheist therefore he doesn't HAVE a religion.

I'm a pastafarian.

"If I can't wear my eyepatch I demand Christians not wear their cross!"

IDK where you got this quote, I never said anything of the sort, i'm not a demanding person, i just think its unfair.

Unless it's being disruptive to class. You go school to learn smart ass, not cause a "political movement"

I do go to school to learn. If I didn't learn anything, then I wouldn't, like many people here, know about the first amendment, but seeing as how I do, then most likely, I know a thing or two about rights of the people. And it wasn't at all disruptive. If you have read the follow up to the citizen-times article, I told the reporter specifically the teachers didn't have a problem with it, none of them said anything at all, and this was printed, and none my teachers said I was wrong in the articles. This lead to one of my teachers getting in trouble by the principal, for supporting my cause, if you didn't know how Nazi the administration/faculty relationship is.

More importantally, this is not for attention, its for the rights of me, other pastafarians, and anyone with a religion that wants to express it. I am not at all an attention whore, I'm doing this for rights, for the first (excuse me) fucking amendment to the constitution, It gives me (and everyone in the US) freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of expression (of religion). I felt wronged my my school for saying now, you can't exercise your rights, because your beliefs sound stupid. Thats wrong PERIOD.
Trilom
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby NintendoPastafarian on Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 am

I believe that u have a right to express ur speach. Also, I think if this persists ALL the pastafarians should wear FULL pirate regalia on a certain date (talk like a pirate day?). I know i would try to do this, it would also raise pastafarian awareness, and might bring in some converts (who dosn't want to wear pirate regalia?). Anyway best of luck on your situation. Let the FSM be with you :fsm:
The two best things in the world are the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Nintendo.
NintendoPastafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby NintendoPastafarian on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 am

Or atleast we should start wearing eyepatches. I mean some people need to for medical reasons, why sould people have a problem with that? Also how is that "disruptive" is it a flashing and making loud sounds? Anyway we should all start wearing eyepatches!
The two best things in the world are the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Nintendo.
NintendoPastafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby stanneh on Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:38 pm

your teacher has insulted your religous belief's by stating that is not a real religion as far as i am aware thats a serious crime.

if you where in her shoes and say walked up to a christian and said remove that cross and stated that christianity is not a real religion then the same would be true there would be uproar.

if you were in her shoes and walked up to a jew and said remove your star of david becouse judaism is not a real religion you would be called an anti semite and would end up in court and at the least sacked from your job.

you are deserving of equal rights insulting your religion is a major no no.
Why join the navy when you can be a pirate.

All glory to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
stanneh
Conchigliette Convert

Postby EarthRise on Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:57 pm

Christianity and Judaism weren't evidently started as a satire, however.

In an ideal world, the ideal world would recognize that all religions are fairly arbitrary, and would be willing to accept the values any person proclaims, provided said values do not include imposing some variety of moral standard on another person. Pastafarian would ride alongside Christianity without qualm, as would Wicca, Scientology, Unitarian Universalism, and New Christianity (you know, the one revolving around the "reborn" Jesus who advocates the number 666).

But this isn't an ideal world. People do put a lot of substance into religion, and hold that one religion has more validity than another. Ergo, those religions started on a whim (Wicca, Scientology), those that are directly contradicting the already set religions (Wicca, UU, New Christianity, originally Protestantism), and especially those seen as satires (Pastafarianism) are noted as frivolous, an affront to 'real' religions, and not deserving of the same spiritual consideration.

The only reason Wicca, Scientology, New Christianity, Protestantism in general, and UU have standards of validity is because they either have a history, in the case of Protestantism and UU, or because the adherents actually do hold the religion to be true (as is the case of all of the abovementioned). Pastafarianism has the unfortunate description of being, strictly, a "false," satirical religion. It pretty much implies, point blank, that anyone who actually believes in the FSM is f-ing insane, but more importantly, admits that it is a parody.

Remove the element of self-identified parody, and there may be a chance. But that would destroy the essence of Pastafarianism. The only way we as Pirates can hope to gain validity for this organization is by lowering the religious standards of the rest of the world, which, frankly, won't happen.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Zankou on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Wicca? Started on a whim? I'm sorry, but Wicca has been around MUCH longer than Christianity. It is one of the most serious as well. It mostly centres on Godess worship. It is also almost the mirror image of Christinity, as it follows a Golden Rule (the Wiccan Rune) "as ye harrm none, do what ye will" and it is ostly matriarchal, as opposed to Chritianity's Patriarchality
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby EarthRise on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Zankou wrote:Wicca? Started on a whim? I'm sorry, but Wicca has been around MUCH longer than Christianity. It is one of the most serious as well. It mostly centres on Godess worship. It is also almost the mirror image of Christinity, as it follows a Golden Rule (the Wiccan Rune) "as ye harrm none, do what ye will" and it is ostly matriarchal, as opposed to Chritianity's Patriarchality

Please. Gardner only proposed its existence in 1954, and though he stated it dated many centuries back, evidence suggests the farthest back Wicca stretches is the 1920s.

The spiritual principles of Wicca stretch back to the religions of old, but Wicca is a relatively new invention, meant to repopularize those pagan beliefs. Mind you, this doesn't make it any less valid in my mind. But that's the history of Wicca. It's not even a century old.

Wicca or no, you get my point.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Lazycat on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:24 pm

Well put, EarthRise.

Zankou wrote:Wicca? Started on a whim? I'm sorry, but Wicca has been around MUCH longer than Christianity. It is one of the most serious as well. It mostly centres on Godess worship. It is also almost the mirror image of Christinity, as it follows a Golden Rule (the Wiccan Rune) "as ye harrm none, do what ye will" and it is ostly matriarchal, as opposed to Chritianity's Patriarchality

The point was not about how Wicca was started. The point is that Pastafarianism is a satirical religion. It is about how ridiculous it is to teach religion in science class. So, when they teach ID in your science class, be sure to request that they also teach about the FSM.

Most Christians I know that wear crosses, wear it as a necklace. They don't carry large crosses around. If a student brought a large cross to class, I'm sure they would be asked to put it away as it could be a distraction in class.

Yes, you are free to express your religion, but there are other ways to do it that are not a distraction in class.
Lazycat
Ziti Zealot

Postby Zankou on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:26 pm

yes, but it was not a distraction....Bryan has already stated this....only the one teacher had a problem with it.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby MPTrooper on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:57 pm

Well apprently some administrator thought it WAS a distraction. Therefore the kid should have removed his eyepatch.
MPTrooper

Postby Zankou on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:10 pm

but it was only the one administrator, and if the administrator was denying him his rights, then she has no basis of authority.

and the teacher that was supervising his ISS didnt want him in ISS, anyway.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby blackeyedbutch on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Even if pastafarianism is a "joke" religion it still teaches basic principals which, while very loose, are still guidlines for life, making it a real religious lifestyle. and Wiccan started long before 1920 but the name wiccan came into existance around than it is a branch from druidism, but states that the goddess isn't the mother nature herself and is a being above worldly conprehension, or something like that. I hear this from one of my firends everyday who comes from a wiccan family

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Zankou on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:41 pm

thank you, butch....

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby blackeyedbutch on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:43 pm

your welcome :)

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to The Cause