n00b Question: Is FSM an official religion in the US? And if

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

n00b Question: Is FSM an official religion in the US? And if

Postby eltonjock on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 pm

And if it is, is there anyway to become an ordained minister?

eltonjock
Conchigliette Convert

Re: n00b Question: Is FSM an official religion in the US? And if

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

If by "official" you mean "tax exempt", then the answer is no. It's an official church to me though, and since it's been empirically proven* that the entire universe revolves around me... :tongue:

Spiritually, the most official way to ordain yourself is to become the captain of a pirate ship--but since pirates aren't very good with keeping to regulations, it seems that pretty much anyone who wants to be a minister can declare themselves one. Getting the state to recognize your FSM-given right may be a little trickier though.

The ordination laws vary from state to state, you'll have to see what they're like in yours. Only way I know of is to start your own chapter and have them recognized, or if you just want it to officiate a wedding you can get one online from the ULC.

*Citations needed
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Ham Nox wrote:*Citations needed

We have a graph. That makes it an evidence-based argument.

I pee every day. So does Black Bart and Daftbeaker (all the drinking, you know... :drinking: ). We all agree with the graph. That makes it peer reviewed.

Good enough for you?
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Err.. I was referring to the need for citations to peer-reviewed papers demonstrating that I was the center of the universe.

Ham Nox wrote:Since it's been empirically proven* that the entire universe revolves around me... :tongue:

My omission error. Lo siento.
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:46 am

I fail to see how that evidence does not support your claim, Ham. :grin:

More than just not having tax exempt status, there's not even an over-arching organization that would be there to get the tax exempt status. Bobby's being very careful about any sort of top-down structure (like the catholic church) and well as reservations about donations. It's pretty much up to all of us to create local grassroots Pastafarian organizations, and then link them up until we have a national/international network.

Depending on how your own local chapter goes, you may very well be able to get tax exempt status. If you're non-profit, you should be able to get 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Depending on how your own local chapter goes, you may very well be able to get tax exempt status. If you're non-profit, you should be able to get 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.

Gah... TAXES!! (Or paperwork to gain the lack thereof) :paranoid:

This whole starting your own church thing sounds like WORK!! :oops:
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Libervurto on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 am

And Lo, the FSM said unto Bobby, "Whomsoever speaketh the word of the FSM (me) shall be exempt from taxation, for they are truly awesome."

How many FSMists are there in the world? I would wager we have enough to be officially recognised.
Libervurto
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Libervurto wrote:And Lo, the FSM said unto Bobby, "Whomsoever speaketh the word of the FSM (me) shall be exempt from taxation, for they are truly awesome."

How many FSMists are there in the world? I would wager we have enough to be officially recognised.

The problem is if people don't pay taxes, how then do our respective Governments by for essential services like educations, health care (except obviously in the US), the military, a social security safety net, fire fighters and the police? If people stop thinking of tax not as a burden, but as part of our joint responsibilies as citizens and neighbours, then there wouldn't be the need for tax exemption.

CF
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ham Nox on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 am

Agreed. I don't like this whole business about churches being tax-exempt. It's ridiculous!

So far, the only church that pays taxes and is proud to do it is supposedly the Church of the Subgenius. My inner pirate bids me steal that title.
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 am

It's all the FSMs money anyway, we're all just playing monopoly with it.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to The Cause