Creationism in the Netherlands

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Creationism in the Netherlands

Postby svenk91 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Now, in a year dedicated to Darwin, a group of reformed Christians have taken up battle against evolution and starting actively promoting creationism. Offcourse, they can promote creationism. But now they started a so called: civiliansinitiatif (more later), a plan to get creationism though alongside evolution in all Dutch schools. Offcourse no creationism teachings without all teachings. So If they succeed the teachings of the FSM should be thaught to.

I shall now explain what a civilianinitiatif is. If you have an idea, and it applies to certain rules and you get autograhpes, names, adresses and birth dates of 40000 people or more (no autograph if you sign up digitally, although they will test some people and ask for theyre autograph to test it isn't all fake). Then it will be going to the government and they will have to seriously decide about the subject.

Basic Rules that need to be aplied to roughly translated are:

1. It's a new proposition that hasn't been in political debate for 2 years atleast.
2. The proposition has to aplie to stuff the big government goes about (not that of the provinces or city's)
3. It shouldn't go against the deepest valeus of Dutch society
4. It's not about taxes or money spending or altering the constitution
(correct me if wrong, it's from here: http://www.tweedekamer.nl/hoe_werkt_het ... /index.jsp )

Now, since there are still more then enough reformed people in the Netherlands to get the 40000 autographs they will probally push on with it and succeed.

But, as generous we are. why wouldn't we do the work for them? They're just making some plans now. But what if we did it already for them with the flying spaghetti monster? The situations are the same, they both want theyre story of human existence to be co teached besides the teachings of evolution in schools as all three are equally (un)proven (even though two of them are based on abvious evidence and christianity isn't).

If the government will decide that all children have to spend time of there lessons on how the flying spaghetti monster created us to the likelyness of pirates (somehow I think the teachings of the flying spaghetti monster will be much more objectively evaluated in politics then that of the creationist as alot of people in the government are christians themselve and I haven't seen anyone dressed as a pirate in there). Them christians shouldn't go through the hassle and save them a lot of work. Might it fail the christians don't even have to try, saving them alot of work. They will most certainly be gratefull, also the lore of the spaghedeity shall be more commonly known throughout the Netherlands as the media will most likely pick this up. This will give us the change to show the teachings and maybe convert more people, and in that way maybe stop global warming.

Now I'm asking especially Dutch people how this could be realized, as not being 18 myself I cannot set this up. But I think it will get alot off support from pastafarians, agnosts, atheists and many more.

Edit: Not Dutch people are also welcome to give ideas or plans or advice or just theyre opinion and arrrgh.
svenk91
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Creationism in the Netherlands

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:12 pm

The Netherlands, land of my forefathers. I keep hoping that this creationist nonsense does not spread into Europe. It's bad enough that they are infecting my country.

The civilianinitiatif sounds a bit like the ballot initiative here in the US. Each state's rules are different, they are quite common in places. Right now, they seem to be mostly used to prevent same sex marriage.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby svenk91 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:The Netherlands, land of my forefathers. I keep hoping that this creationist nonsense does not spread into Europe. It's bad enough that they are infecting my country.

Actually the Netherlands has relativly lots of strong Christian believers (so called Dutch reformed) because in history The Netherlands was one of the only country's where they could live peacefully as it was a very tolerant country (still is imo). They're still strongly centered in a part of the Netherlands called the: "bible belt" (No that's not a tale we tell to scare children) where you shouldn't do anything besides breathing on sunday (really, don't drive your car through one of those town). But lately they started more and more again to spread their word and complain about other poeple, most likely because they are threatened to exist as christianity is losing more and more poeple (over half is officicially Atheistic). It's fine with me they exist, some of those towns are only 20 to 40 kilometers away from my town. I hope they live happily there, but i don't thin kthat minority should force us all to learn creationism, unless offcourse, all theorys are teached. They also started making websites against gays (closed on sundays offcourse) but nearly no one takes that serious.
svenk91
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Interesting. I don't really know that much about the Netherlands, except that they do have a history of religious tolerance. And, my College is half named after William of Orange (The College of William and Mary).

Should the schools in those towns teach creationism (intelligent design)? Do they have their own schools? In other words, should the curriculum reflect local tradition/faith/belief?
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby svenk91 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:10 am

Then your college is probally named after william III, a dutchman that got the english throne somewhere at the end of the 17th century I believe (not the great Willem of Orange, he was assasinated in the 80 years war against spain before that). Schools that have a religous background do have the options to teach about the biggest religions (levensbeschouwelijke vorming, my school teaches it to) where the creation of earth and all by god could be thought. But the problem is, they want creationism in all schools, and specifically their creationism.
svenk91
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ubi Dubius on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Yes, King William III and Queen Mary II. They ruled jointly after the Glorious Revolution starting in 1689 or something like that. I didn't know there were others you referred to as William of Orange. Now I know.

So, your creationists want to teach everybody that their delusions are, in fact, not delusions. I hope you all beat 'em back!
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

If there's anything you need us to do (e.g. letter writing, general silliness), please let us know.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Mad Bess Cash on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 am

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea..!
Ill sign it and since you're not 18 yet and Im not 18 anymore (arrr...the power of maturity) Id be happy to help you out with any legal issue or mutiny of some sort..
Mad Bess Cash
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Good luck! I'm willing to help, as much as an American can help with Dutch politics.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Return to The Cause