Floating an Idea... for a Secretish Pirate Society

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Floating an Idea... for a Secretish Pirate Society

Postby codered on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been following the FSM for a while, but now that I've graduated and started my Air Force career I have been getting an urge to do something more. I've donated money to secular lobbies, put a FSM fish on my car, joined freethought organizations, put my name down for Atheist in Foxholes, countless other things. We all know that despite a sizeable number of rational thinkers out there, all the attempts to organize anything influential have been pretty weak sauce.

The FSM has been the one polarizing idea that people can get behind. Humor is a powerful weapon. I was inspired after reading about the hate church protests that were thwarted by our pirate comrades' efforts. The Million Noodle March is a great step too. What if we did a little more? Put on science shows for the kids, raised some money for secular charities, help out the struggling lobbies some. Put on spaghetti dinners, stand across the street from hatefule protesters with good natured satire.

I think this is all possible under a saucey pirate banner that people could get behind! Throw in some secret handshakes, some pirate regalia, a few passwords and inspiring history. I think FSM has the numbers already to start chapters everywhere. A secular "Knights of Columbus" or any of the other communities that provide positives and influence that have always been the exclusive domain of religious groups.

Obviously the possibilities are endless, but without getting carried away... I wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts like this. In keeping with the stated goals and good natured humor of the FSM, perhaps a good start could get Bobby's sanction eventually. Why not brainstorm some ideas for how pastafarians could have fun being a little more active?

Any ideas for a good name?
"He stuck a feather in his hat and called it Macaroni."
-Yankee Doodle. Pastafarian, Pirate, Patriot.

http://www.coderedcomics.com
codered
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Floating an Idea... for a Secretish Pirate Society

Postby Goldfish on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

With all due respect (And being in the Air Force, it's a great deal of respect), I think we already have that, minus the handshakes and exclusive nature of our club. It's the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, of which there are already tons of chapters the world over. As for donations, spaghetti dinners, and children's science that's the kind of thing (I would think) would be left to the individual Pastafarian to work on, or group of Pastafarians. Why not track down and/or convert some locals from your area? Put on a pirate costume and street preach, print off some of the pamphlets on the main page and pass them out, or just leave mysterious www.venganza.org tags all over local places? Your heart's in the right place though, and that's commendable! And I do truly like the idea of putting on science fairs and/or making charitable donations under the FSM banner, but how about next time you do so just make a doodle in the "for" portion of the check of our Noodley Master? Gets the point across, if nothing else :)
The snack that posts back: Goldfish
Goldfish
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby codered on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Goldfish wrote:...that's the kind of thing (I would think) would be left to the individual Pastafarian to work on, or group of Pastafarians. Why not track down and/or convert some locals from your area?

There's the whole problem in the first place. Shouldn't there at least be some way to help get hooked up with other pastafarians?

For example I'm also a couchsurfer, a community organized at the lowest levels that is incredible at reaching and organizing people. Some organization, or communication, would go a long way.

I know most of us are skeptics here, but try contributing rather than writing it off. If anyone here is involved in one of these chapters world over, lets trade some ideas.
"He stuck a feather in his hat and called it Macaroni."
-Yankee Doodle. Pastafarian, Pirate, Patriot.

http://www.coderedcomics.com
codered
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dudeman55556 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:53 pm

I know somewhere in 'the cause' forum people were talking about a food drive (not the million noodle march, more like going door to door), that could be a start. Go around with a few other peeps in pirate costumes, carrying pirate chest for food donations, and ask for money or pasta, or if they don't have any pasta, other food works fine (the FSM isn't picky when it comes to feeding the homeless). look around, that topic has some great ideas if you can find it.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Return to The Cause