PirateSpeak heritage in NC

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

PirateSpeak heritage in NC

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:52 pm

Just recently oi realized that the pirate dialect spoken here sounds a alut loike the way folks speak on a nearby isle, Ocracoke.

We call em tha "Hoi Toiders". Oive met a many of em, and them whats old an what not cannot be understood.

Turns out they think tha accent is a remnant from the old English that was spoken by settlers a few hundred years ago. Whats more the island was known to be a frequent port for Blackbeard, and many residents still claim to be descendants of Blackbeard's crew who settled there.

Oi wanted ye lot ta hear an example of tham talkin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1006952

Truly this must be a blessed place in the eyes of FSM and pirates everywhere.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby tanguerra on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Yaarrr matey. It must be a veritable Garrrrden of Eden! Do they have rum do ye think?
Aaarrrrgggh!

Reed me booke. It's got pirates innit http:\\how-to-find-love.com
tanguerra
Humble Hermit

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 am

Sure do. And ye has ta take a noice ferry roide ta gets there.

Damndest thing. Oi never seen anyone load cars on their frigate but they do.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby DaveL on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 am

Someone here, Griffin Oi thinks, once described Pirate Speak as something derived from Cornwall. C'mon youse Brits, tell us some more about this dastardly dialect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Re: PirateSpeak heritage in NC

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 am

PirateGuy wrote:Just recently oi realized that the pirate dialect spoken here sounds a alut loike the way folks speak on a nearby isle, Ocracoke.

We call em tha "Hoi Toiders". Oive met a many of em, and them whats old an what not cannot be understood.

Turns out they think tha accent is a remnant from the old English that was spoken by settlers a few hundred years ago. Whats more the island was known to be a frequent port for Blackbeard, and many residents still claim to be descendants of Blackbeard's crew who settled there.

Oi wanted ye lot ta hear an example of tham talkin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1006952

Truly this must be a blessed place in the eyes of FSM and pirates everywhere.

That is absolutely fascinating matey.

They really do sound like Pirates!

I'm putting that word 'Mummocked = annoyed' in the Pirate Dictionary (if I can find it).

Accents are really interesting. People can still tell I'm Welsh even though I have lived in London since 1981. I have a South Wales accent and the North Walian accent makes me laugh.

Blackbeard was from Bristol so he would have had a West Country accent not dissimilar to the Ocracoke accent.

Ooops I spilled me grog...Arrrrrr I be well mummocked!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 am

I knew that ye'd get a kick out a that there Black bart!

Oi didn't know that Blackbeard was from Bristol or even English for that matter.

Also oif interest to ye aboot Ocracoke, is that there is a small plot of land 10 ft by 10 ft that is considered to be British land. Its in a small graveyard, I've been there. Four British soldiers washed up on the island during WWII. They were given a special place in this graveyard.

The local Coast Guard along with British servicemen hold a ceremony there every year.

Although no official group had responsibility for the cemetery the cemetery was initially cared for by the local citizens of Ocracoke. Many had loved ones serving in the armed forces and felt kinship and gratitude to the sailors buried there.

Eventually, a lease for the tiny 2,290-square-foot plot was given to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for as long as the land remained a cemetery, and the plot officially became a British cemetery.

Today the United States Coast Guard station at Ocracoke maintains the property. A British flag flies at all times over the graves of those British sailors.

http://www.offbeattravel.com/british-ce ... banks.html

Oi don't often feel much of a connection ta ye scurvey lot acrossed tha pond, but damnded if this story don't bring a tear to me eye.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby The Black Spot on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:53 am

DaveL wrote:Someone here, Griffin Oi thinks, once described Pirate Speak as something derived from Cornwall. C'mon youse Brits, tell us some more about this dastardly dialect.

Arrr... Saint Robert Newton were definately doin' a cornish accent in Treasure Island. If ye meet a modern one, they refers to themselves as "Oi" an' say "Ooo-Arrr" a lot.

They must like a drop o' grog as they always be soundin' half-pissed.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby anthrobabe on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 pm

ok I was lookin for the pirate dictionary to help out a dear friend- who looses all sorts of things- he's prolly sittin on it right now, anyway

some brat has 'spammed' every single thread-- all of them--
what in the name of FSM have you been drinking laddie? and don't grin and tell me 'rum' -- rum don't make one that crazy.

:pirate_fish:
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby The Black Spot on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:43 am

Arrr...

'ere be a group singin' in a cornish/west country accent. It be them gods o' rock The Wurzels. Gawd 'elp us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbIeacTahks
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby black bart on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:59 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 am

Bart be feeling a little ornrey. Starting to practice is dugong call. Sad sad affair.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 pm

PirateGuy wrote:Bart be feeling a little ornrey. Starting to practice is dugong call. Sad sad affair.

Dugong call, or Brenda McTavish call?

Oi think 'e should sue Madame Fifi; submersion under that 'un can addle a pirate's brains!

Ye can see teh effect on the gud folk hereabouts...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby anthrobabe on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:26 pm

looks for gud folks

leaves on quest
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Return to Pirate Discussion