2 questions for pirates about pirates...

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:27 pm

You will have to forgive my piratical compatriots. They often speak in piratese, which is not always easy to understand.

If you are willing to spend larger amounts of your pillaged booty (money) I would recommend finding someone who makes costumes for a local theatre and have them help you determine the particular outfit(s) you want and work out a cost from there. Should you want to spend loads of gold, and you have a professional theatre or very good college theatre department in your area, you can try that.

Otherwise, Goodwill or other thrift stores can be a good source for frilly blouses. Trousers may be a bit more difficult, but you can eke by with a pair of black, brown, or other non-blue jeans (not faded). You might also try loose fitting yoga pants.

ebay may be a source for some accessories, but it can be hard to tell the quality of the items you are attempting to purchase, much less the fit.

You may also see if there are any RenFairs, SCA events, or other historical reenactment type groups/events occuring in your area.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: ships

Postby anthrobabe on Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:37 pm

FSB wrote:NOW I AM REALLY LOST!!! HELP!
black bart wrote:
FSB wrote::worship: :fsm_float: :pirate_fish: :shellfish:
What do ye be meaning?
black bart wrote:The ships are off e bay!!!

Arrrrr...sorry matey...I meant Aaaargh Bay o course! A job lot of 5 ex Cap'n Cronan ships fer 4 Dubloons. Two minutes arter that beatiful picture were painted (by Twoships Lautrec the famous French artist) the lot o em sank.

sorry--- right o

like capn rowan said--- it depends on your money situation.

I'm fairly handy with a sewing machine and often fabric/crafts stores will have bolts of fabric that are not expensive (sometimes as little as 50cents or a dollar a yard) that can be a good source for materials for pirate themes---- remember loud colors, prints, stripes, muslin, white or off white cotton are always good pirate choices.
If you just can not sew a straight line then try some of the "cheats"on the market such as no-sew-hem- it's like a glue for fabric just cut and glue, heavy duty fabric facing can work as well.

also look through crafts books for ideas-- most that are put out by the big companies like Simplicity are full of Halloween costume ideas right now and the patterns are easy to get and run around $10-$15 each.

I've made friends with a retired professor at my university that used to be head of the costume shop and Oh the joy I've had in rooting through the storage round here-- with permission and all - not just to get stuff but to get ideas and copy patterns and all. So that route has been fairly thrifty for me.

For the accesories you have to really think outside the box or spend money--- be creative, try different things and see what happens.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Realism

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Arrrr...an don't forget the Parrot Droppins fer a final touch o realism!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Teletubbies

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:23 pm

The Black Spot wrote:
black bart wrote:One mornin Tinky Winky, La La, Dipsy and Po were feelin a bit odd after a bowl of Tubby Fish Head Stew...can ye guess which one of em's goin ta puke kids?

The one that drunk the tea by mistake.

It just had to be visualised:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Outfit

Postby ChowMein on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:17 pm

black bart wrote:
The Black Spot wrote:
black bart wrote:...I decided ta treat meself to these lavish threads. Image

I's seen loads o pictures where there's a big, round sun wi' a smiley face in the sky. This be the first time I's seen a picture wi' a square sun that has a face like a smacked arse.

Ye'll never appreciate art until ye stops wearin yer patch over the wrong eye!

YARR! Bartie! How be it that ye patch in yeer poortrick be coverin' ye left eye but ye new avatatar has ye right eye patched ?

ARR! ye secritly blind as bat or blind like a bird ?
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Re: Outfit

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:32 pm

ChowMein wrote:
black bart wrote:
The Black Spot wrote:
black bart wrote:...I decided ta treat meself to these lavish threads. Image

I's seen loads o pictures where there's a big, round sun wi' a smiley face in the sky. This be the first time I's seen a picture wi' a square sun that has a face like a smacked arse.

Ye'll never appreciate art until ye stops wearin yer patch over the wrong eye!

YARR! Bartie! How be it that ye patch in yeer poortrick be coverin' ye left eye but ye new avatatar has ye right eye patched ?

ARR! ye secritly blind as bat or blind like a bird ?

BUGGER!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby The Black Spot on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 pm

An' another thing Bart. 'Ow come in the old picture it were the left side o' yer face that looked all scabby and blotchy an puffy, an now it's yer right hand side?
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 pm

And wot happened to your Hook ?
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Blotchy

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:04 pm

The Black Spot wrote:An' another thing Bart. 'Ow come in the old picture it were the left side o' yer face that looked all scabby and blotchy an puffy, an now it's yer right hand side?

Arrrrr...I blames the artist! He be usin his Windsor and Robert Newton oils too thick.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Hook

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 pm

Auntie Blackbeard wrote:And wot happened to your Hook ?

I be sufferin from Henry Cooperitis...I don't know me left hook from me right hook!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:14 am

Posting for FSB!
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:07 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Re: 2 questions for pirates about pirates...

Postby DaveL on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 am

YArrrrr...

Come back FSB, we miss yer matey!
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions for pirates about pirates...

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 am

DaveL wrote:YArrrrr...

Come back FSB, we miss yer matey!

Aaaarrgh...I've told ye before matey, too much Fish Head Stew fer lunch makes ye halucinamatate.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Previous

Return to Pirate Discussion